1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete GwassGween -FINISHED-Nov13 2013-pics start on page 67

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 25 Jun 2009.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Cheaps' threads are less project logs but more community meetings where you have to hand in your sanity before you're allowed to take part.

I LOVE IT! :D

2. Goose360

Goose360 What's a Dremel?

That pump top is amazing!!
    ...and the rest of the project too!

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thanks, guys.:D

@John - Yes, quite transparent, aren't I?:D Someone has to avenge me! I don't have the time to do it.:hehe:
    @perlekks - It's more like that spot behind the 7/11 where the lights don't shine...

4. perplekks45

Dirty stuff, eh?

I STILL LOVE IT!!! :D

5. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Im sorry Taylor Imma let you finish but Cheapskate had one of the best DDC's OF ALL TIME!

perplekks45 and jhanlon303 like this.
  6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Cheaps get demotivated without the pic - WIN!

+rep

john

7. perplekks45

Demotivating Cheaps. FAiL!

We have to keep him going!

rep++ anyway. :worried: :D

8. Cheapskate

:lol: I'm still going.
    I cut the back plate in half the other day. I managed not to screw THAT up. On the plus side; I can cnc the rest of the PSU hole now. I just need to find a model that has the holes in the right spots. The one I used wasn't standard.:(

9. Cheapskate

Cropping and crop circles

I had to hold off on an update until I got something interesting photographed. -Sorry.
    [​IMG]
    -I hacked the backplate up with the wetsaw.
    [​IMG]
    -This did give me the opportunity to cut the rest of the PSU hole out. The paper-thin slice of plastic left over told me I had everything lined up in the machine well, so I left the back in the machine and trimmed off the excess on the edge. I have to add .228" and the saw removed 1/16"... Lucky for me the computer model makes math go away.:D
    [​IMG]
    -Being too dependent on the computer model has its downside. ALL the Sketchup models for PSUs are off on the screw holes. I went ahead and cut it out anyway since I already had two wrong holes. I figure I will be making an adapter plate later.
    [​IMG]
    -I pulled out a 2' x 4' sheet of black plastic, only to cut off one of these tiny strips. The other is the splice part for the backplate.
    [​IMG]
    -I remembered I left space for reinforcement brackets on the baffle wall. This will get rid of the upside-down logo, and give me a spot to snake fan wires.
    [​IMG]
    -Here I'm trimming up the splice on La Machine.
    [​IMG]
    -I decided to slap a pattern together quickly for the black strips. M. I. C...SHH! Don't let them hear you! :worried:
    [​IMG]
    -I felt the best place to put a noisy pattern was somewhere it wouldn't show as much. I'm hoping black on black will be subtle enough.
    [​IMG]
    -Blurry midnight pic for ya.
    Next up is the sanding and assembly stage. There won't be much to show until the case starts coming together.

Thanks again to DD and HWL.:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Feb 2018
  10. jhanlon303

Most excellent work. Black on black is subtle. Now that you have the 'chinery working you can finish this one and go get one of the G5 cases in the for sale section. You know you want one.

john

11. blt44

blt44 Long Time Lurker

Awesome pattern Cheap.

Really interested to see how this all turns out.

Keep up the good work!

12. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Nice work as always cheaps! The pattern is awesome and it did remind me of crop circles to be honest. Btw have you ever worked with mdf for a mod?

Just wondering if its good enough to use for construction if I ever follow down that path. Not a fan of wood but mdf just looks so manageable...

13. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Love that pattern, reminds me of a ton of mickey mouse heads lol.

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i like, nuff said

15. Cheapskate

Thanks guys!:D:D
    @John - Aww. I'll have to pass on the cases again. Two glass green mods would be too much anyway. I have to come up with something else to torture them.
    @Djayness - I'm not a big fan of MDF because I spend a lot of time replacing cheap cabinets made of the stuff. When it gets wet it swells up and turns to garbage. It's good for heat forming molds and various other kinds of sacrifice, but I doubt I'd ever use it in a case.
    @Boy 4rm oz - DON'T! If you say his name three times, you summon the copyright attorneys!

16. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Lol mad dude, dodged that bullet for sure. using it as a heat mold for the acrylic is a mad idea though, thanks for the tip

17. Cheapskate

I just need a material I can boil and not fall apart now.
    ...anyone?
    ...anyone?

18. jhanlon303

Boil for what young Padawan?

Fish heads? Pasta? Corned beef and cabbage? Hamburger and rice for baby puppies? Haggis?

john:D

19. Cheapskate

Plexi soup. It would be easier to leave the part in the mold while heating. You know the plastic would be cooled off by the time you got everything together for forming. -Especially while wearing gloves 'n stuff.

I guess you could screw several layers of wood together... Glue is right out...

(I'd swear your post says something about boiling baby rice puppies.:eyebrow:)

Last edited: 9 Oct 2009
  20. Cheapskate

Yaaaaayyyy!

:clap:I'd like to say thank you to my new sponsor!:clap:
    [​IMG]
    :D:D :rock: :D:D

[​IMG]
    -So I went out in a thunderstorm in socks to sign for a package today. This poor box has come a long way.
    [​IMG]
    -Inside was a supply of Noctua's NF-P12 120mm fans, and some promotional kit.
    [​IMG]
    -The promo stuff was some stickers, and this cool little metal badge.
    [​IMG]
    -My first impression is that these are much sturdier than my usual Chinese Yate-knockoffs, (Quieter too!) This is good because the two that will be mounted on the outside will likely double as lifting handles.
    [​IMG]
    -I'm thinking I will wire these to a switch that can jump from the medium speed resistor to full power. (My blood-sugar is low right now... I think I can do that, but I can't get my head around it right now.:hehe:)
    [​IMG]
    OK, time for a strategy session. This is the radiator/fan layout on the inside. The SR1 360 can't have all 3 fans on the inside because of the 240. This area will eventually be boxed in with a grill. The fans will also be covered with decorative shrouds that cover the wiring...
    [​IMG]
    -Up in the PSU/drive area. One of the Noctuas will cool the hard drive cage. the exhaust will vent out the I/O area of the motherboard once it has been covered. The single Noctua on the 240 radiator will vent out of various holes in the top section, and the other half of the 240 will vent through the PSU.
    ...Yeah... It sounds good in theory.:worried:
    [​IMG]
    -The last fan will be on the back of the SR1 outside the case. -Sticking waaaay out from the frame. I will need to cover both sides of the radiator. The gaps between the fans and the fins will be filled in with sheets of black foam so the air will pass properly.
    [​IMG]
    -The color shouldn't be a problem. The light frames reflect more light through the green. And bronze fan blades should look good with the green. This color combination can be found in nature. What color does copper turn when it corrodes?:D
    [​IMG]
    -While I had everything out I thought it was time for a '20+ lbs of plastic that I need to make one part' picture. It's time to start gluing things together, so this is the last time you will see Glass Green in the easy-storage mode. When there's a break in the rain, I'm going out for my chemical mask.:dremel:

Many thanks again to my sponsors!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And thanks Noctua!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Feb 2018