1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows MW2 PC: No Dedicated servers

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by rpsgc, 17 Oct 2009.

1. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

There's no way they honestly think this is going to stop piracy.

I'll make sure to get all my friends to torrent it multiple times.

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

revenge wouldn't work ... it would only prove them right

sort of

3. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

It could stop cracked servers, as there will be no dedicated servers now, plus it being integrated with Steam.

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

5. wafflesomd

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I don't think i've ever seen such a unanimus outcry from the PC community...

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

No, but surely by removing the communities' favourite feature from one of the most anticipated games of all time they would have seen it coming :duh:

8. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

What can I said ? They try to Kill the PC Gaming, Build a States of Noob... They said 'We dont want you to think'

Infinity Ward, I'm so disappointed by your lack of respect in the people who Pushed your company since the beggining

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

very nice

wow i can't believe I am actually tempted by Battlefield now hahaha

I fear IW is going to pull an Epic on us. They make the pc version crap and don't listen to players, therefore the game doesn't sell well which means IW will blame piracy and stop making PC games altogether

10. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I've read here and there that it's going to 'change communities' and all but I still cannot find how this change could possibly be for the best ?

What is impressive is how IW managed to become public enemy #1 in a matter of hours, this is quite insane :D

I bet Treyarch is happy to see IW fail :D

12. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

Crap! That means no LAN! :(

We are constantly playing COD4 on the school network.... damn...

13. ImInTheZoneBaby

ImInTheZoneBaby Bring it on sucka!

I just found this out. FUUUUUUUUUU~
    This is absolutely stupid, dedicated servers are the foundation of the PC multiplayer scene. This is an outrage!

14. azzybish

azzybish What's a Dremel?

I'm impressed by the community's response to this, and there was a very good point made on one of the Kotaku posts. Most console gamers dont actually realise what a dedicated server is, and so their common reaction is 'i dont care, it doesnt make much difference'.

People have already said this, but dedi's provide the base for individual communities.

15. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I am impressed as well ! The petition has 30 000 signatures already ! When I signed it this morning (or was it late last night?) I was the 1800th to sign it

16. wafflesomd

Even if half the people who signed it, didn't but it, that's a very big loss that I doubt they are willing to take.

I expect to hear IW comment on the matter soon.

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

if you refresh the page every time you press F5 you can see a new name on the list. It's insane how fast people are signing this thing ! I can't wait for IW's reaction

18. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

They'll downplay it, claim people are making a big fuss over nothing and start a barrage of incredibly intricate and mind boggling PR ******** to fool people into believing it's all OK.

19. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

To be fair, I'm not sure we should be placing all blame on IW, as I'm sure Activision had quite a bit of say in this decision. I also don't expect them to make a U-turn on this, at least not right away. Lost sales or not, the executives that made this decision clearly aren't in touch with the community and will continue in their misguided view that this is a good idea.

Maybe later on when sales have died down they might do something about it, but it's unlikely TBH; they sounded pretty committed to this "revolutionary idea" to me. Maybe if they had released this news officially with more information about the new service and the possibilities for the future then the backlash might not have been as harsh, and it wouldn't look like they were trying to cover it up.

20. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I found this on facebook. If ever you encounter an console ignorant (not that all of them are, obviously), copy/paste him this :

tripwired likes this.