1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware 3rd Dream PC unveiled - Cryo PC Graphite

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 19 Oct 2009.

1. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

You say that as if what we have here today is a 'complete package', far from it I would say. If a company can't even be bothered to tidy up the cables inside the system what does it say for the rest of the work. That's before you even get to the tacky carbon fibre film which has air bubbles underneath it.

Very poor imo

2. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

I'm not saying that to, use your terminology, this is a 'complete package', what I'm saying is that we invite companies to take part, and then report on what they send in. This article is just a sneak peak of the system, not the full review article.

3. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Agreed, you can air bubbles and the vinyl peeling in various places, they should have painted imo. And took some time for cable management. I'll still award them points for being unexpected.

4. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

Are the SSD's really only 256MB each?

5. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

One Brownie Point for actually reading all that text - I've fixed it now, cheers! :D

6. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

This is not my or I guess anyone else's Dream PC. That might sound harsh, and I'm sure it will be nice for some but still none of the three so far have 'dared to be different'. Some of the things the modders have come up with on here have been *far* more unique. Just look at the iMac, as much as I wouldn't personally have one, it is really unique compared to every other PC (with the caveat that other makers have produced similar all-in-ones now).

Here I think we are just going to get variations of the same "massive tower case with lots of water cooling, SSDs and multi GPU configurations, and of course an overclocked i7 CPU".

7. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Wait till you see scans effort mate :thumb:

8. Pikey

Pikey What's a Dremel?

If i had a spare £1200 i could make something wonderful like a piece of art.

9. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

Putting aside that it has the appeal of "The garbage can", the statement:

'The Graphite isn’t cheap though, and it just isn’t right to consider it a PC purchase in the normal way. It’s an investment in a high-performance computing platform that should last many years. All Cryo PCs are designed with this longer-term investment plan in mind."
    is not worth one comment.

10. John_T

John_T Minimodder

This Cryo may have all the good looks and sex appeal of Jordan's cage-fighter boyfriend wearing a skirt and lipstick, but, to be fair, it probably punches as hard too...

Some people don't really care too much what their PC looks like, they just tuck it under their desk and see what it can put up on a ludicrously large screen - it's still a dream machine, just catering to a different type of dream.

11. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

At about 10 seconds into the video... bunched up vinyl. Yuck.

12. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

This one just doesn't do it for me either.

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Ugly. Should use real CF.

14. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Yes we are definitely more in the dream pc range.
    It is ugly i have to say, but you have to admit that the parts and the cooling is up to spec for a dream pc :D
    but the design needs to be refined soooo much!!!!!!

:edit: did i get that correctly that the Water blocks are gold? if so thats a plus isn't it?

Last edited: 20 Oct 2009
  15. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Too bad they didn't stick to the "keep it simple stupid" mantra!

16. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

diamond would be much better. :(

17. bagman

bagman Minimodder

that is where mod of the year comes in

18. bagman

bagman Minimodder

and kobolts

sorry for double post

19. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I don't mean to be recalcitrant, but with the growing 'drip-drip-drip' of CPC articles coming out on bit-tech before the general release of the magazine itself, followed by the winning machine's full article also being released through third parties days before the the release of the magazine:

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/

Why exactly do I bother paying £54 a year for CPC again? (And before anyone asks, I don't buy a subscription as my postman's an idiot & seems physically incapable of pushing things through a letterbox).

It just seems like all the major, 'juicy' articles are becoming available for free - either before, during, or not long after the mag - with only the fluff & filler not making it across. Where's the unique selling point to keep me parting with my money for the hard copy? It may not be much, granted, but if I've already read half of it before I even pick it up...

20. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Remember subscribers got this months issue as early as Saturday. So the result was well known before Scan advertised it on there website (Monday afternoon).

Be a little more considerate to other members mate who might not have known the winner and wanted to read it for themselves in the magazine.

Tags: Add Tags