1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New dual-GPU ATI Radeon 5970 spotted

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 2 Nov 2009.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

:D

2. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Well, there's already a HD 5000 card without a batmobile cooler:
    http://www.amd.com/uk/products/desk...d-5750/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5750-overview.aspx

3. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

And a 5999 :D

4. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

12.5 inches long and barely fits in an Antec Twelve Hundred, they will have to bundle a tub of Vaseline with it!
    A Crossfire setup with 2 of those beasts, is going to cause some airflow headaches.
    I personally think ATI has been a tad weak in naming the card, given its length, they should have named it the 'Trojan Magnum XL'

5. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

this card is an sample card not the final product so it be longer then it should be, it most likely be an 11.5" card when it comes to retail as no card has been bigger then that before

6. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

How much longer is it from a 4870x2?

I'm not sure whether it will fit in my Antec P182 without having to remove the hard drive cage.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

+1 to that.

what's the point of having zillian frame rates per second with 2 FPS being the minimal due to incompatible new game engine, when you can only see 60? isn't it better to have 60FPS with a steady minimal of above 30?

8. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

The advantage to having a framerate far above 30 (or 60, in any case) is that it gives you some breathing room. I mean, if a card is consistantly capable of delivering 60 in all games, it'll choke during REALLY intensive moments. Damn smoke grenades!

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

cool- huang trying to squeeze one out and ati is all not this time sulu!

what if those lucid boards actually work though.. 2 low end cards that don't have to deal with sli/crossfire driver code, and beat nvidia and ati's money maker sounds like a better deal to me

hope it pans out anyway.. still waiting on the review when the boards are out

10. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

Indeed. In my view, any dual-gpu solution is pretty much overkill in today's pc game market. Unless you play Crysis/Crysis Warhead ALL the time.

11. PandaMonster

PandaMonster What's a Dremel?

Companies that are in direct competition with only one other company are singular? ROFL. *no fuc**** comment*

Do some homework.

12. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

We very nearly had a similar length card aaaaages ago; the voodoo5 6000 which unfortunately was never to find home in our desktops.

Here it is alongside a 9800GX2 and a 3870X2
    http://www.dvhardware.net/article26081.html

EDIT: on second thought maybe it wasn't quite that long considering the 3870X2 is around 9.5" the voodoo5 6000 was probably to be 10.5" only :p
    Still a beast for the time though, with ridiculous heatsink for today's standards

Last edited: 8 Nov 2009
  13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

now that is a great pic. :thumb:

14. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

and here it is in it's backside support full length glory
    http://www.tweakpc.de/news/14076/ebay-3dfx-voodoo-5-6000-128mb-wird-versteigert/
    Looks like this particular one was auctioned last year. Best bid at the time the page was published was 1347€ :jawdrop:
    That's some nice collector's item :)

Now with that support bracket that card may well have reached 11.5" which is the max length we've seen so far for a graphics card.
    It was referred to as a "full length" card, which I suppose is a standard coming from the server environment.

Considering there is actually a standard for a card's maximum length, can we expect desktop oriented products to follow these server standards?
    I hope so since the mod I'm planning on my V2010 currently won't allow much more than 11.5" with the 14 hard drives in the front half of the case :dremel:

These shots were described by ATI as those of an early engineering sample, but I doubt the design will change much (if at all) or to the point that they'll be able to fit 2x RV870 on a PCB the same size as a 5870 :(

Last edited: 8 Nov 2009
  15. Trin

Trin What's a Dremel?

This year is going to be interesting video card wise. I currently have a 3870x2, given to me by a friend, love this card. Would like to get a hold of one or two for crossfireX. Hope the 40nm process issues at TSMC get ironed out.

Tags: Add Tags