1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films For those of you looking forward to Avatar...

Discussion in 'General' started by johnnyboy700, 4 Nov 2009.

1. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Empire gave it 4* for 2D version and 5* for 3D version.

I've yet to make my mind up about the story, but the F/X should be brilliant.

2. quietguy

quietguy D'orc

Did you get snubbed at a furry convention? :eyebrow:

3. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

I've seen it, in 2D its very good and has a decent ending, which is often the downfall of good films.

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

The longer the trailers got, the stupider the movie looked..

It went from "hey cool sci-fi etc" to "exploitation of natives is bad and you white people should be ashamed".

Aka Star Wars -> Pocahontas

5. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Guys I just watched this and it is amazing! The 3D effect is really well done in that you don't see it randomly in a jarring way, and the story was just really really good. Definitely worth your three hours!

6. ChEsTeH

ChEsTeH What's a Dremel?

Saw this last night in 3D, visually stunning story was ok nothing really not seen before in other movies tho.

This film has to be seen in 3D it would be wrong not to :)

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I've just got back from seeing it (in good old fashioned 2D), and yeah, it's pretty good.

My favourite line was "We will fight terror with terror". I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that's a G. Dubya quote.

8. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I thought it was ok. The visuals were very impressive, and the art design was pretty cool. I think it sucked plot wise (duh). Seemed very cliche. I honestly fell asleep through about 20 minutes of the movie. That was after the initial wow factor had worn off and the plot pretty much lost me.

I wouldn't really mind the fact that the plot if the movie weren't three hours long :/

I just kind of wanted it to be over already.

9. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Saw it earlier today in 3D and I enjoyed it, the plot is nothing to speak of and fairly predictable without being too cliched.
    However the visuals are simply stunning with the 3D being used to give a good depth of field instead of as a gimmick with objects flying out of the screen right at you to make you jump, don't know how much impact will be lost in 2D.

I found it really easy to forget the Navi are 10ft tall until they start interacting directly with humans and I found them totally realistic, there are only a couple of scenes that flow just a little bit too well and remind you that they are CGI.

Overall, it was quite enjoyable, it didn't seem like 2hrs 40min so I reckon you could say that was a good sign.

Here's a question for you all - did anyone spot the physical difference between the native Navi and the Avatars?

10. quietguy

quietguy D'orc

Yes I did. 3 instead of 4.

The movie is definitely worth the price of admission. While the story may not be very original, the writing sure beats the hell out of most sci-fi out there. Not to mention the absolutely beautiful scenery they created.

11. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Can't say I did, but then I was sat at the back and didn't have my glasses with me. 3 what?

I agree the story wasn't exactly mind blowing or full of twists and turns, and the underlying theme was very obvious, but it worked and was executed very well. The pacing was spot on throughout the entire film, there wasn't too much dialogue and the action sequences were tense and thrilling, which meant the film didn't seem to long despite its lengthy runtime.

£5 well spent I say.

12. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

For me Avatar is far more than the sum of it's parts. It's not original or very creative in the script department, but all aspects of the film came together so well that this really is perfect cinematic storytelling and I fully appreciate what other directors and actors have been saying about this film changing the game somewhat.

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

fulsome funbags! :D

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

story was alot like battle for terra.. only the 3d was above anything I've seen.. even better than what you saw in star wars ep. 3 =]

the colonel was the best actor in the movie by far.. he had that part pegged

15. quietguy

quietguy D'orc

Fingers. :rock:

16. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Brilliant film, really enjoyed it and the 3D was much more impressive than I had expected.

As for differences between the Avatars and Na'vi? There's finger count for one, the nose on Sigourney's one was much smaller and also the lips on all of them.

17. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

I was definitely blown away. Easily the best thing to come out in recent years. But I have to admit, there's quite a heavy bit of info they tried to shove it in your face early on, that if you missed the important bits at the start, you'll get all confused throughout the movie. (as an example, I had to explain the whole story to my little sister on the way back home from the movie. =_=).. Still, brilliant, although not entirely original story. Rendering of the forests and the floating mountains, is beyond any other CG attempts prior to that IMO.

my eyes still teary since last night, still not fully recovered from it's 3D display. =_=

18. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Michelle Rodriguez is in it. The movie is completely ruined... :wallbash:

I haven't seen the movie, but it sure looks like this judging by the trailer. :duh:

19. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

The graphics were fantastic and all but I wasn't particularly blown away by the story. It was a seriously regurgitated affair.

20. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I cant wait to see dances with smurfs....