1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films For those of you looking forward to Avatar...

Discussion in 'General' started by johnnyboy700, 4 Nov 2009.

1. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Definitely ... imagine the surfing!

However, that raises another point; that huge jovian which Pandora orbits will undoubtedly exert vast amounts of tidal stresses on the satellite, and thus it is somewhat surprising that Pandora is as geologically stable as it appears to be in the movie. However, the apparent lack of volcanism in Avatar might not necessarily be an be-all end-all to that discussion as it turns out that Avatar aparently is planned to become a trilogy.

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

That's a good point actually, and it's why Io is the most volcanically active object in the Solar System.

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I was pretty sceptical, especially about the 3D effects but saw it monday night and it was awesome. I want to see it again. Probably the best sci-fi/fantasty film I've seen since LOTR. Even if you don't like the storyline it's worth going just for the 3D and amazing CGI.

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I've been wondering, will this be available in 3D on the consumer market? If so, how will that work, will it be viewable on anything high-def or will we have to dick around buying new monitors?

Cos damn, this at home would be....omg. I'd just sit around watching it over and over again.

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

You'd have to buy a new 3D-capable TV, and judging from this year's CES, that's something most TV manufacturers are intent on getting you to do.

6. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

3D tv's will make the effects more like the theater but there will still be a 3d version for regular HDTV's - they just use the red-blue method for the 3d and it is not quite as nice ;)

7. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Sony's said that the PS3 will be able to playback 3D Bluray content (I guess you'll just need to download a firmware upgrade), and their new 3D tech TVs will use LCD shutter glasses rather than the polarised shades you get at the cinema - which aledgedly gives a much better effect, and lessens any possible bleed between the right eye and left eye images. Which is nice.

No prices yet though.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/sony-flaunts-3d-tvs-taylor-swift-to-regain-its-cool/
    http://gizmodo.com/5442088/ps3-will-play-3d-blu+ray-movies

8. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

There, I fixed that for you. But yes, the number of 3D TV's predicted for CES (especially from Sony) means that you'll soon be able to have your 3D TV play 3D SKY HD (which arrives sometime this year, I understand). :thumb:

9. SNiiPE_DoGG

Hehe, Ive never used the blue-red's personally, I just know that I've seen commercials for final destination on bluray with 3d glasses :lol::lol::lol:

10. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Predictable plot but enjoyable movie. 'nuff said.

11. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

I liked it a lot, although the plot was quite predictable I thought they did it well. I saw it in 3d, and, to be honest, was sceptical about whether it did it for me. Some scenes were definalty improved loads, but others, just did not seem to work. I will give it 4*

12. Lord Xeb

Lord Xeb Derka Derpa Derka Derp

Avatar was one of the best movies ever!!!! I put it above the Matrix Trilogy!

13. SNiiPE_DoGG

did you see Imax 3d or digital 3d? also how new was the IMAX theater?

I saw it once at a theater with a larger Imax screen but an older (~2 years) projector and there were some visual quality issues - Luckily the local 20 screen theater by me also has IMAX and their projector is only 6 months old. The screen at the newer theater is a bit smaller, but you sit closer to it. Overall the clarity of the 3d was amazing at the latter venue and I went and saw it twice there.

14. Lord Xeb

Lord Xeb Derka Derpa Derka Derp

I saw it in IMAX in 3D :D And this theater was built just 2 years ago and they have recently upgrade their projectors the best of the best :D (the old one broke lol!). Also the screen where I was is like 3 stories tall!

15. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Brilliant film worth going to the cinema to see, looking forward to the next film.

16. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I've used those glasses with shutter technology in some theme park in france... Can't quite remember the name. Anyway, after seeing avatar unless the tech has changed a lot, the avatar method is a lot better.

I got a bit of a headache (but I think that's down to my eyes attempting to focus on blurry objects) but nothing compared to the shutter glasses. It was horrible, and the thing I watched was only 30 minutes, not hours. They are bulky too, much heavier on your ears.

Personally, I'd be quite happy spending £20 on a really decent pair of frameless polarised glasses than £££s on those shutter ones. Either way you need a new TV with a higher refresh rate.

17. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

SNiiPE_DoGG likes this.
  18. SNiiPE_DoGG

"To which Cameron answered that the plan had always been to make a trilogy of films." :rock::rock::rock::clap::clap::clap:

19. roblikesbeer

roblikesbeer Bindi's sex slave.

Finally got to see this today (damn you flu!) and I thought it was amazing!

OK, so the plot is hardly original but it's not pretending to be anything other than what it is.

I was initially skeptical when I saw the full trailer but the 3D and CGI works so well :rock:

I deffo want to see it again at the cinema!

20. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

This is why I went and seen it twice in 3D and once in 2D (as the 3D was sold out). I would be more interested in a 3D projector in all honesty. It surely would be easier to mimic the current tech the theaters use on projectors (scaling down etc) then on a TV IMO.