1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress *** PHINIX NANO TOWER *** --- MOTY 2011 nomination !!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phinix, 9 Nov 2009.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I'm not an expert in Google Sketchup tube drawing, but I spent a bit of time on trying to visualise how the tubing will run in the Tower. Just two simple sketches to show how it will work...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course there will be two sets of quick-release fittings installed on top of that power chamber panel, but didn't have time to draw them.

2. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Looks pretty good to me.
    But where's the tube going that goes to the floor?

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

There are two tubes going below that panel, one you can see on that sketchup is taking hot water from gpu to the radiator (inlet), other one that is not visible on those sketchups is the one that takes cooled water to the pump (outlet from rad). I took the rear case panel with radiator out to show the pump, thta is why you don't see where it goes. I hope that sounds clear:)

4. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Yeah, kinda does. ;)

5. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

Any updates? How's it going?

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Hi Ben! I know, two weeks and no updates!:)
    Truth be told, I worked a lot on my Tower, only didn't have time (and strength) to make photos and post them. I want to prepare big update with more things I made in it. I worked a bit on that pump stand, already cut in a hlaf that power chamber top panel, made holes for SATA cables in the back of that top panel, cut out huge 3x120 hole in the rear case panel for radiator and started to cut small holes in it for switches and fan controller which all will be mounted in the left rear side. So few small bits done, I took photos of those, just need to finish all the edges and make it look nice, then will make a new update. Wanted to show more things I've done in one update. I think this weekend i will be able to show it.
    Right now I cannot finish pump stand and all the parts of power chamber without those quick-release fittings that are coming to me from Aquatuning. I need to check how they will stick out from the whole piece and measure holes for them - it is essencial to go further with the mod.

Also I'm strugling on the acrylic color - I got two versions of yellow acrylic. One is fluorescent Solar yellow 2T32 acrylic, which under small light glows a bit too green-ish. Second one is tinted yellow, which edges don't glow, only if I put some light through the panel.
    Now, there is one more fluorescent acrylic, called Helios Yellow 2T51, which sample is being posted as I type from plasticshop.co.uk - this new version of yellow should be more yellow than Solar Yellow. if thats the case I will use that Helios, if not, then i will use just tinted yellow acrylic and then light up with lots of yellow leds.

Next steps will be:
    • design yellow acrylic pieces for the whole case except front panel, which I will work on at the end
    • cut rectangle shaped mesh I got from Bill to make a nice cover for radiator.
    • design top and bottom acrylic 10mm panel and send it to Tom to ChilledPC to cut it on CNC.
    • paint matt black pump stand - I already bought the paint so should do it this weekend
    • measure and mount standoffs for mobo
    • cut out holes for mobo I/O panel and graphic card

I think this is the plan for next week or two. After that I will be planning the lights and then will ask you Ben for few samples of your leds so I could play with them and choose perfect combination for my Tower.
    That's the plan - we will see if I will be able to fit in! :D

7. phenoptix

Wow a fair bit to be getting on with! Let me know about the products you need and I'll get them out to you.

8. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

i love how small it is

9. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

That's fantastic, thanks Ben!

I love it too!:) I tell you what - when I built that pump stand, installed it in the case, closed all the panels, I was shocked how small it is! One thing is design the case from scratch, other to build it and see it how its being created... Amazing... I can't wait to see all the good stuff inside:)
    Soon... I think it should be ready in next 2-3 months... well, I hope...:thumb:

10. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

Man I can't wait for the weekend!

11. phenoptix

Taking your time and doing things properly is always massively satisfying, half the battle is resisting fudging some of the small stuff to get on with the big stuff. Also knowing at when it's time to down tools and cook some fools on your PS3 instead (or console of choice or PC (that is not in bits)).
    I'm so impressed with this build though, keep it up!

12. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Really want to see this finished now, I love mini itx.

13. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

...it's about time!

Yes, finally I took all together to show new update. It was hard, cause I've been working on few elements for a last few weeks and to be honest I didn't know if there is a point of showing it.
    You guys know how it is sometimes when there are dozens of small things that need to be done, but they are not quite visual to show them up as update.
    I had to "trim" few elements, recreate one or two, measure up few things.. if I count them, maybe I did around 10 different small things, but overall there is like one or two that are worth to show, so here it is:)

SMALL UPDATE

I already showed sketches of pump stand, showed the main part of it done, but haven't showed the whole thing standing. I basically made exactly what I planned on sketches, added bottom plate which contains small piece that bolts the stand to the rear panel right under the radiator, long vertical piece to mount one piece of power chamber top panel to the stand.
    Here's how it looks right now:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Head" of this thing goes right up to the surface of power chamber:

[​IMG]

This is how it looks inside of the Tower:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To make it all right I had to trim that L shape alu profile on the right from the pump stand. I trimmed it on the whole length cause it didn't look "nice" when I only cut out small piece at the bottom, where the tubing will go from the top to the right radiator inlet.
    Well, to make it short - it's like I wanted:)

Now, I decided to go with fluorescent yellow - Helios - color acrylic. It looks like that:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This piece goes under that smaller piece of power chamber top panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It will have that two pieces of aluminium on top, leaving small gap, where yellow acrylic will be light up with leds.
    I showed it before on one of the sketches. I added one small detail - one more cut line in it to make it more interesting:)
    I put it all together but mind that it is not mounted - no screws and rivets there. I just stack it up to show roughly how it will look like. Of course black powder coat will change the look entirely but still, a hint how it will look:)

This is how I planned it on sketches:

[​IMG]

..and this is the execution:)

[​IMG]

..here added that L shape profile that will cover "contacting edge". Left side cut out - this is where the reservoir will stick out alter on...

[​IMG]

Here how it looks inside the Tower:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second thing is fan controller - Scythe Kaze Q, which I wanted to use came out as too long, 1cm too long, so had to change it. Revoltec controller, same which I used in Cube was perfect for this job. Now, some of you will spot funny looking fan holes in that panel, don't worry about those 4 holes, I messed it up really nice:duh:Cannot forgive myself, but will have to live with it :wallbash: At the end however they will be covered with gromets so they won't be seen! I promise!:blush: Yes, this is my excuse! :blush: Common!!! Its only 4 holes!!!!:worried:

[​IMG]

Tricky part was to squeeze it between right square rod and radiator fan that will come on left...
    I measured it up 3 times.. and drilled the holes.. all came out PERFECT! :D

[​IMG]

OK.. last thing... Bottom acrylic panel. 10mm thick hard-ass stuff!!! My dremmel sweat like a strongman cutting this thing. After 10 minutes operation PSU hole was finished...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmmm... yep.. that's it! I hope you will enjoy new photos. Soon will be new update..

Hahaha...:D I swear! Really soon!! I promise!!!!!:D

Mod on !!!:rock:

14. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

A little jewel :clap:
    The fluorescent yellow plexi is fantastic :jawdrop: as the pump stand :eeek:

15. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Excellent work as usual. This is coming together very nicely. Glad to see you're back in full swing on this thing, can't wait to see more! :clap:

16. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Perfect design perfect execution everything is flowing towards perfection! :)

17. mrdbristol

mrdbristol Voided my warranty years ago

Looking great Mike :thumb:

Can't wait to see this baby finished :rock:

18. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

How do you manage to photograph the computer parts on the kitchen table without other extraneous parts of the mod, tools etc migrating to the kitchen also?
    I'm impressed with that as much as I am the modding! :D :p

19. domthecondom

domthecondom Noob Modder

yeah man :) more work needs doing :D

20. THRASHER2

THRASHER2 Pimpin' Deals 24/7

[​IMG]

Great Work phinix :thumb:

Details are OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!