1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI Master Overclocking Arena 2010

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 29 Jun 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Whoops I made the mistake of checking out the picture of Princess Leia.

Sorry Pc hardware, I was unfaithful, but this has only made me stronger and never again will I make that mistake.

*hugs Pc*

3. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Oh and another note:
    WE BEAT GERMANY!!!

Lol couldn't help myself.

4. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

is it just me or does anyone else think these Global electronics giants are a bit tight with prizes and prize money?

5. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Oh my God: The bloke on page 2, bottom left hand picture - they way he's pouring out the LN2 - he's just ASKING to lose his hand!

I'm not some health and safety freak, but come on, show the stuff the respect it deserves!

6. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Ive seen heston Blumenthal (the chef) flick it like water with his bare hands so as long as your quick its not that dangerous.

7. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

I'm not at alll a pro of exteme overclocking buta question came trought my mind:why instead of pot don't they use tubes so the LN2 is directly on the CPU?

8. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Because as soon as you take the LN2 out of its storage container it starts to evaporate. So, a) its not pumpable and b) you need a vent for the nitrogen (now in its gaseous state) to escape.

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Poor old england, I'm sure the same couple of problems happen at each event :(

10. Redsnake77

Redsnake77 Useless Idiot

Why were our guys using the wrong bios? Was the one they were using not sanctioned? Or did it just not allow the performance levels needed to be competitive?

11. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

There was a bit of confusion over BIOS versions. Normally moderators come round and check but this didn't happen apparently so they'd already done a few rounds in Super PI before the found out!

12. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I've never used the stuff but I think it evaporates too quick to freeze your hand, you would have too dip your hand into it.

13. Redsnake77

Redsnake77 Useless Idiot

OK. But MSI provided the motherboards, CPUs, GPUs, PSUs, and HDDs, so why weren't all the boards loaded with the same bios before the competition started? What about OS configuration, and display drivers? Isn't everyone given the same basic setup? Is the team's ability to find the right bios, and drivers and install them correctly something they're judged on?:eyebrow:

14. matt...

matt... Slacker

having used LN2 everyday for about 7 years I can say it burns if you leave your hand in ti for too long - but you can flick it or throw it at someones jeans quite safely! ...I've been stuck to the spot for fear of shattering my frozen trousers a number of times :)

15. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

All the hardware is retail boxed so it stands as good a chance of arriving in good order but I guess it's easier and quicker to get each team to flash to the correct BIOS than one person doing this 15-20 times. But yes, it's unfortunate that this wasn't picked up on...

16. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

[​IMG]

Are those capacitors normally like that? :confused:

17. EvoCarlos

EvoCarlos What's a Dremel?

Fantastic pics and what a great event and follow up by bit tech thanks :)

18. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don What's a Dremel?

It's modded?

19. Altron

Altron Minimodder

It's called the Leidenfrost effect. What happens is that part of the LN2 evaporates into N2 gas as soon as it touches, so there is a always layer of gas between the liquid and your hand, so it won't freeze you unless you really try to.

More info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidenfrost_effect

20. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I think he meant sealing an open ended tube to the CPUs integrated heatsink and pouring directly that way, so like a pot with out a bottom.

Tags: Add Tags