1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 1 - Complete - see Stage 2 thread

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 1 Nov 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

Looking good anything going in front of the res's as there is alot of space there?

2. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I've been messing around for a while now with component placement. I wanna get this right before i start designing the case itself.

In the back, there is place for two thick 280mm rads (modelled very quickly after the Phobya G-changer 280). In between, i placed the PSU, vertically. I think i'll have to flip it upside-down, but otherwise i'm quite happy with that placement. I'll leave an opening to fit the powerplug, so the plug is not sticking out of the case.

[​IMG]

In the front left, i'm going to build a versatile compartment. I this example, it holds two reservoirs and two pumps, but with a bit of creativity i'll make it possible to mount 5 1/4 bays, so you can also use bayreservoirs and fancontrollers and the like here.

[​IMG]

In the front right, I'll leave it as open as possible, to get a good look at the inverted motherboard. Like with the PSU, i'll leave some space "inside" the chassis, so none of the connectors are sticking out, and you can slide the whole machine right up to the wall, aswell as hide the spaghetti.
    [​IMG]

In the bottom, i'll make a versatile compartment, made up of 4x2 5 1/4" bays. In this example, i have placed two DVD players, 6 HDDs and two fancontrollers, but i'll design it so that you can do with it watever you like in multiple orientations.

[​IMG]

there will be several design challenges in making this one easy to build and maintain, but i believe i've kept everything pretty accessible, so it should become quite good.

All suggestions are MORE then welcome before i start drawing the actual case! :thumb:

3. Tyetree

Tyetree What's a Dremel?

all depends on the pumps, I want to keep it as clean as possible scale is 100% yet im trying to work all that out.

Still early stages at the moment just trying to get as much info up before the 1 stage closes :)

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Exactly. One case with as many integrated mounting-options as possible.

If you have the rads placed vertically, then there won't be HDD-cages or optical drives blocking airflow, as you can't install something into these 5.1/4, if there's the rads allready. So there's only room for a single optical drive in the top in this configuration in addition to a single HDD-cage (3x 3.5" HDD with 120mm fan) in the bottom.
    Same is true for a single 360 rad placed in the front ofc.

If you place two 360 rads horizontally in the bottom, then you need to move the PSU up, where there's usually the exhaust-fan placed, but you'll have room for 2 HDD-cages and an optical drive.
    With only one 360 rad horizontally in the bottom you don't even need to move the PSU, if this suits you more.

If you cool the CPU with a H50 (120 rad) and the GPU with a 240 rad, then you'll have room for 3 HDD-cages and the optical drive, or if you are going to use aircooling, then you'll have place for up to 4 HDD-cages and the optical drive.

Power/Reset and USB/Audio are installed into a 5.1/4" aswell, as this let's aswell some options to move it around.

5. aquatuning

I like the way you have approached this, my concern on this is power cables and if they will reach all areas without looking untidy.

My point witht he optical racks was that would the rack not be cut in such a way that you have screw holes for the optical drives and mounts in the way of the rads airflow even if the drives were not installed?

6. Xtrafresh

This is also a reason for me to concider flipping the PSU around. The reason that i mounted it this way is becaue of the very smooth placement of the external power plug.

I'm an obsessive cablerouter myself, so i have a few aces up my sleeve to get it right, but if it turns out that it's not possible, i'll turn it around :)

7. aquatuning

oooo sounds good :)

8. Tyetree

Tyetree What's a Dremel?

revised res section could go sumin like this would have to move hdds that are under the pumps but thats not an issue
    [​IMG]

9. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

I really like your design Teytree, very clean and spacious.

10. Tyetree

Tyetree What's a Dremel?

Thank very much :)

One thing i have allways done with my builds is make them as clean as poss cant stand seeing cluter and cables ect ect.

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 17 Dec 2010
  12. Verderf

Verderf What's a Dremel?

I like your idea for building the case around the hardware, looks a lot easier to build a case around it then making a case and fit the hardware in it :)

Are you gonna design it in a way that people can place different types of tube reservoirs?

The PSU looks a bit weird on that spot, doesn't the top fan of a PSU use the top fan as an intake?

13. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Fantastic stuff - great to see someone using non-conventional rads.

This is looking awesome - maybe a bit on the large side though - there seems to be a lot of space. Maybe you could mount the PSU and pumps in the base, lose that whole section and move the rad section down?

Roboduck, as ever your renders are awesome! I particularly like the side mounted rads - you could in theory draw air in from the front panel and exhaust it out the sides. You could also look at adding a fan in the roof somewhere. My V2000 has the rads in the bottom which cool the MB, CPU and GPU but with just two 120mm fans cooling the rest it does get toasty.

Loving this design! Only concern is the rads side by side - okay if they are exhausting air out of the side (they might be competing for airflow a bit) but as has been mentioned, pushing warm air from one into the other isn't ideal. You could go with the former and maybe make the case a bit wider, maybe raising it off the ground with a vent in the base too.:D

This is looking great - a Lian Li V2010 MkII! So is there room for a 4x120mm rad in the base and another large rad in the roof?

Last edited: 4 Nov 2010
  14. Xtrafresh

Cheers! Ofcourse, as this should become the de-facto watercooling case for the masses (hey, a man can dream, right? :naughty: ) i will try hard to make it compatible with as many configurations as possible. Obviously, 240 rads will also be supported, but i'm also looking into working some magic to fit 360 rads aswell, as they seem to be pretty much the standard these days for high-performance.

15. aquatuning

Combatus does your post have to be 4 miles long :p might wanna take out a few of the pics so we can see the text lol.

> runs, as he has the ban hammer :D

On a side note guys if you like the comp likes us back in return :)

You can do this a number of ways:

FACEBOOK - We will be posting our fav pic of the week here from the comp

Reps - My green bar needs filling :thumb:

Rate the thread - Give it 5 stars you know you want to :rock:

woody_294 likes this.
  16. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Sorry, yeah I'm having trouble keeping up! Didn't realise it would be that long!

17. Tyetree

Tyetree What's a Dremel?

Thanx :)

Yeah very similar to the Lian-Li but then that case is awesome :)

And yes quad in the bottom and the top rad is actually a 480:p
    I think that combo can pretty much cool anything you can throw at it. Combine that with a true dual loop and i think i makes for a great setup ....but then thats just me ,)

18. Kryss2k

Kryss2k What's a Dremel?

I've lost my copy of wirefusion Pro as I don't do much 3D imagery any more so used Google Sketch-up... anyway here's my preliminary design (having a few problems getting sketch-up to go exactly as I want though).

[​IMG]

The front should actually look more like this
    [​IMG]

19. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Here I go! I hope that it's pretty obvious what I'm going for. Are these dimensions fitting with a midi case though? They are quite large but hardly enormous.

Comments and crits please!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's scope for 2 480 rads and a 240 inside, the top one can be inside at the expense of a couple of 5.25s. Front/top/bottom (there will be feet!) can also take a 240/360. You should be able to stick a 120 rad inside on the exhaust too :D

This is pretty much just a frame atm, I will endeavour to sheath it in awesomeness ofc.

20. danitgeek

danitgeek Designer

Hey Tyetree

What sofware do you use?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.