1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Morning frost vs You

Discussion in 'General' started by wyx087, 16 Nov 2010.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

how do you tackle frost that covers your car every morning?

yesterday, i used up a lot of spray to get rid of the frost, totally uneconomical.

today, i used some warm water and took off the frost immediately. but i don't think i'll work during really cold days.

2. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

You wont work during cold days? >.<

I use the train :p So I don't suffer the wrath of frost... not yet anyway, even then I intend on having windows that defrost >.<

3. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

dont chuck water on frosty windscreens, you'll more than likely end up smashing it through

4. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

This

Also I would recommend buying a car cover from halfords, they are only about £20 but will save you a lot of hassle in the mornings.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yeah, I may not be car-savy, but I know warm water is bad on frosty car windows.

Personally, I just get in and turn the heater on full chat, along with the heated windscreens etc >.>

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Bike=No frost problems

though Bike = v-cold fingers so its swings and round abouts.

When i do have to deal with a frosty morning i get the scraper out and get stuck in, if its really bad then i use those chemical deicers that tesco sell by front door when its cold out.

7. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

ive always used a kettle of warm water

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

there's the problem of where to put the windscreen cover. it'll be dripping with water after a while. living in a flat, so get back to my room is a lot of effort.

it won't be very hot water, just tepid water. should be fine shouldn't it?

with my car, if i turn on the heater to clear front fog, AC comes on, and cannot be turned off, so together with rear window heating, it'd eat into my battery. being a 7 year old car, don't think 5 mile drive can provide enough power to do this every morning.

re bikes, you'll also get problem of slippery roads on your 2 wheel. i've had my share of this during secondary school. cars will get you there nice and warm :D

mvagusta likes this.
  9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It should be alright, but the risk is weakened windows. The windscreen should be alright because they're pretty strong glass, but the sidewindows and particularly the boot window will be victim.

Easiest frost solution is a car/windscreen cover, they go in the boot. :p

10. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I second this!, Damn my fingers feel like falling off, I don't wear gloves as they get in the way of the controls!, damnittttt:brrr:

11. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I see your issue squire... you need a quadbike and waterproofs.

12. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I had a thick load of ice on my windscreen yesterday morning what was strange is it was only me everyone else was clear not even steamed up!!

I had to use some super deicer i was in a rush and had no scraper handy

13. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Quad Bikes rule - big fan here, have had a road legal one i bought last year only done 500 miles!, Never passed my test, so i can't really ride it! :duh:

14. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

Where hot water REALLY shines is when you're stuck in snow; many mornings, I'd come out to a car stuck in place with just its wheels spinning and unable to go anywhere, so I bought a small shovel and it still didn't work. Bucket of hot water? Ideal.

As for windows, keep a spray bottle of cold water in the house with you, and spray a light mist on the windscreen - windshield winter cleaning solution mixed in is also good; hot water can be bad for glass, but room-temp water (even cold) is still warmer than the ice itself and it weakens the ice considerably, making it easier to come off with gentle coercion.

15. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

A scraper and some muscle has always been an effective solution for me. The biggest PITA is when your doors are frozen solid and you cant reach the scraper.

16. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Can actually say it's quite tempting myself mate. Got enough arctic warfare kit laying arounda t home, fuel's cheaper, MOT and Tax is cheaper... you're also legally entitled to go off road aswell >.< so if people get in your way, the side of the road is totally good to ride on :p

Although turning up to work looking like you're going to war in Norway on a Quadbike might not go down to well... haha

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

If it catches me unawares or I just cba, a bottle of salt water works well enough, otherwise it's a cardboard box for the windscreen and a labcoat on each side window :brrr:

18. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Men come pre-equipped to deal with that wee problem :thumb:

pimonserry likes this.
  19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

1. Unlock car.

2. Open door.

3. Get in.

4. Place key in ignition.

5. Start car.

6. Turn heater on.

7. Adjust fan & vents to blow on windscreen at full power.

8. Turn on heated windscreen, back window and wing mirrors.

9. ???

10. Go to work!

An easy 10 step guide to dealing with frost in the mornings... it takes <5 minutes.

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's fine when you have a fancy car that warms itself in 5 minutes and has fancy heated bits, what about the peasants? :p