Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Woo hoo! Epic looks!

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

On a mission :rock::D, there will be angle bar connectors & bolts used, just with it being a good tight fit they stay in place on their own thanks to to jig I made, thanks AnG3L :thumb:.

Thanks Razer :thumb:, but it's been going too smoothly lately :worried::D.

The curve bars have some tension pushing the back panel back so had to make a jig to keep it in square form while I made the mobo tray & side panels, so I take them out it pushes back again, put them in & it's in perfect form & a really nice fit because of the tension :thumb: would be sweet if I could keep it like that without need for bolts though :D.

:D Thanks KidMod :thumb:.

Whoops or flipadeedoodar or colourful language flowing :D, the curves are different to the sketchup model, I knew this but some how forgot I was going semi freestyle with the curve related bits & just using the sketchup as a reference, well here's what went wrong, I drew the window cutout I wanted to do which was correct, but I added the borders seperating the top & bottom wrong so the 2nd level will be seen through the bottom windows, already weighed up the cost for another big 3mm sheet & a word similar to sheet springs to mind mostly because I had it near half done before I tried it out on the case :duh:, damnit chin up & just order the sheet. Gutted because if I held off on putting all the holes in for the jigsaw I'd have been ok, shame but sheet happens :p.

No worrys, I'll just have to order a new sheet & at least I can quickly shape it back to the needed form, but damn it was starting to look cool :D.

Here it was in progress & when I put the panel on loose I seen it & insta face palmed lol.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK until I put the jigsaw start holes without checking the panel, what a crapper.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something good has come from it though, I can handle the jigsaw a heck of a lot better now :).

So pretty major hiccup but I'll get it fixed asap, just a shame but I can get to work on the connector pieces while waiting for the new panel & just use the failed panel as a template.

3. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

If you are going to be painting the case, which is what I think you are going to do, you could simply use some JBWeld and patch the holes. Once painted, you won't know the difference at all. That would make a lot more sense than cutting another entire sheet to me.

4. KidMod-Southpaw

OMFG, I will enslave mankindz until youz stuff some acrylics in there!

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Painting it would be most convenient for me with no need to rely on anyone else but me but I want to get this anodised voigts so has to be all aluminium which brings up another possible issue, the helicoils I think they are steel, don't know if thats a problem, if it is I'll go with paint, ahh just looked it up & I'll be ok to anodise, all the holes with helicoils just need masking, phew thought I was stuck with paint then :D I'll be brushing the aluminium before it gets anodised too & not straight lines neither same flow as the window cut outs :thumb: thanks for trying to help though mate appreciated :thumb:.

lol :D.

6. Nicksen

Nicksen Danish Kid :D

Amazing work... Subbing this one :thumb:

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Nicksen :thumb:.

8. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

beautiful waynio, just beautiful :hip:

9. Colossous

Colossous Minimodder

Great skills duder

10. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

really nice cuts there bro, I am sorry about the holes...
    You will have to use another panel unfortunately if you want to powder coat or anodize bro.
    Even if you are going with a simple automotive paint which is hell of a difficult when it comes to aluminum, it will be more clean and I believe easier for you instead of filling these holes with putty or weld. Mod on man! :)

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thank you Bill :) I learnt a good bit of what I know from your how to videos & have referred many budding modders to them as a great starting point :thumb: I seen that RC pc car you did recently too, that was awesome :D:rock:.

Thanks Colossous :thumb:.

Yeah it's a shame I didn't align it before drilling the lower holes, did everything else other than that 1 important thing :duh: :lol: I could make a trim that covers it but not really the way I wanted to go, anyway already ordered the new sheet lol, it's less than half the price of my last aluminium supplier & they are fast on delivery so it doesn't feel too bad :) so I'll finish off putting the windows in on the piece I mucked up but I'll make it so it's a perfect stencil so when the new sheet comes I can just draw around all the details & cut out :thumb:.

12. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Instant subscription!

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Nutman :thumb:.

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Okey dokey I extended the length of the upper windows by properly measuring & marking & shortened the length of the lower windows, these should be spot on how I want them now, I'm using this faulty piece as a crash test panel so I get it totally spot on & will make doing the other 2 quite easy, anyway got the rest of the cutouts done today, only spent about an hour today, tomorrow I'll cut all the lower windows out & get all the the windows filed down to exact pattern then I could make 1 of the panels & wait for the sheet to come & with me posting these pics I'll cut back on pictures of the same process when I'm doing it for the finished pieces :).

[​IMG]

This picture shows clearly where I mucked up :facepalm:.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nearly all of the aluminium looks quite a mess by now but I'll be cleaning it all up & then doing a brush on it all so don't think it will be this rough looking when complete ;).

15. KidMod-Southpaw

It still looks sick! Good luck with the brushing Wayne.

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks KidMod :thumb:.

Explanation of the side panel patterns just in case anyone thought it looked funny or unsymmetrical ;).

The pattern is just the other side panels outline, I moved it 45mm to the left & 45mm down & marked, then 10mm to left & 10mm down & marked over & over until it met the other side, took about an hour to do just the marking.

Heres an example of the thing I'll use for the brushing & cleaning up the surface, used them on some bits on the stack unit & they clean up scuffed alu really well, like a polishing mop but it's kinda like wire wool gives excellent results but this time I'll be getting my own mops as I have no idea what type the ones I used were lol.
    [​IMG]

I used them a bit on some parts on the air cube & stack unit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I felt it gave them an anodised look lol but this time parts will get treated to this look & then actually anodised :thumb:.

17. KidMod-Southpaw

Yay, updates! What's with all the other fans that fall into the quiet and airflow category? Don't you have enough already?

18. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

So cool!!

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I have heaps of fans lol :D but pc case fans keep evolving bit by bit getting better looking, quieter, more efficient so I'm keeping with the new stuff, akasa apache fans are good & fairly quiet but too noisy to qualify for this build as I'm trying to get it as quiet as possible so I can barely tell it's switched on :D.

Thanks DeadP1xels :thumb:.

20. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

You could also do some damage to your ears. That way everything will seem quieter. ;)

No, sorry - just a joke. This really looks good. What colour are you aiming at for the anodizing? Would be cool to not see just another black one (like mine - boooring ;) ), but maybe something green or yellow?