1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple "screwing" iPhone customers

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 21 Jan 2011.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Some people get what they deserve....
    I understand why apple locks this stuff down. Been over that discussion a million times.

I'm willing to bet that there are also first gen iphones that need new batteries. My touch pro 2 gets drained to zero almost every day because i use it for gps while I am driving. And I get in around 200km a day in the city. But the battery is fine. I haven't noticed a decline from when I first got it.
    But when the day comes that it needs a new battery, the back just pops off. And I can throw a new one in.

2. Xir

Xir Modder

On the other hand:
    They might have made the OS lighter in the first place so one wouldn'd be enticed to delete useless shite, of which a tonne comes with windows.
    How many processes actually NEED to be running? :naughty:

Off course in these days of quad-cores and 4 Gigs of RAM minimum, why bother? :eyebrow:

Try cleaning all the useless dreck off a pre installed system without shooting it, bwaah.

3. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

2-3 days...that would be good but things like the Nokia 6310, basic by todays standards, if not prehistoric, needed a charge once a week and sometimes not even then, even if you caned it.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'll take that bet. Because the actual research figures (by mobile phone insurance companies) show that the iPhone battery is one of the most reliable on the market.

You tell me, Mr. OS programmer.

What? Not an OS programmer? Then perhaps you should not be rooting around in Windows and complain when it all goes tits-up.

5. Nexxo

Early GPUs didn't even need a heat sink. Your point?

6. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

No, my point wasn't about early GPU's not having a heatsink. :thumb:

Touché --Nexxo :p

Last edited by a moderator: 9 Feb 2011
  7. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Apparently coming in iOS 4.3 according to those rooting around in the 4.3 SDK betas.

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I've got a Samsung Impression and my battery lasts for days.

Probably helps that no one ever calls me :worried:

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'm not entirely convinced one battery can be more reliable than another tbh. The chemistry is fixed the only variables are how much battery "fluid" is in the case and how its charged. The degradation of Lipo is almost linear in that after a few years regardless of how it is treated it will stop accepting charge.

It might be that Apple spec a high capacity battery thus giving them wiggle room to allow for this degradation giving the impression of a reliable cell via software. Or its very conservatively charged eeking out as much of the life as possible. But eventually all cells will fail.

Edit: Just checked most phones use Li-ion batteries which could explain the difference but i don't think so since liion has a slower degradation rate than lipo.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2011
  10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

If I was to sell you a cheap BMW and you got an Indian made clone, that looks like the original and works like the original, would you be happy?

edit: the chemistry can be the same, the difference is in the quality of manufacturing the device.

11. steveo_mcg

Not seeing how that is relevant.

Again not relevant with batteries, they either work or they don't. Capacity is set by the volume of "soup" in the cell. If Apple could some how make better batteries than every one else they would be making batteries for EV's not making computer stuff.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

I complain when it get's needlessly slow, not when it goes bogus from fiddling, not the same thing ;)
    Use the search function, how many people here are tinkerers? How many optimize the amount of processes running?
    I see a lot of it in the "Laptop" section of the forum.
    Are you pissed that not all of them are "Mr. OS-Programmer"?

13. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

O RLY?

Reliable isn't the word you're looking for, because battery reliability depends upon design, construction, and quality control. The confusion here is because some batteries - Apple's OEM, for example - are considerably more reliable than others - knock-off replacement batteries for Apple's devices, for example. That's to do with better quality and tighter manufacturing tolerances.

However, the suggestion that Apple's batteries are chemically superior to everyone else's (and therefore provide a greater power density or something) is untrue. They aren't even made by Apple, IIRC - the internals are the same as any other well-made Li-ion battery and the performance exactly the same. If Apple are extracting better lifetimes out of theirs, it's due to intelligent power usage and a proportionally larger pack.

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i'd just like to say, my original iPhone has perfectly fine battery. when i sold it on iphone 4's release (got iphone 4 now) it still lasts the same 2 days as i bought it off someone 2 years ago (on iphone 3G's release).

that's a 2.5 year phone that's had load of punishment, over 400 charge cycles. it's still as good as when it was new.

my iphone 4, on the other hand, doesn't last 2 days under 3G inside a building with poor signals ...... new or not. thankfully i didn't buy into this 3G crap, because frankly it's not worth the hassle over EDGE. but that's not something that can be fixed by taking the phone apart, it's something Vodafone needs fixing. turn off 3G (or use 3G mobile data near the window) it usually lasts 2 days with 40% left, ~5 hour of usage. pretty good for a smart phone.

15. steveo_mcg

Rofl, good point, well made....

16. Nexxo

Touché :p

But what I'm saying is that you cannot compare the battery life of an old mobile with an all-singing, all-dancing smartphone that has 3 communication bands, GPS, an energy-sucking full-colour backlit touch screen and does quintuple duty as a internet access device, diary, camera, MP3 player as well as phone.

For comparison, the Nokia N95 (which did all these things) had an 18-hour battery life.

No, I'm suggesting that most of us are not the most informed people when it comes to judging just how many processes should be running in Windows and how big its diskprint should be. Granted, Linux runs leaner so that gives us an idea. But it is easy to criticise from the sidelines. I remember PC's before Windows and Plug&Play.

17. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

That may not necessarily be true. They may well use higher quality chemicals in their manufacturer - e.g. higher purity, lower contamination.

I remember before PC's!

18. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Oh dear. I was tired, wont happen again. Promise. :wallbash:

19. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I shall call off the dogs now ;)

20. j44

j44 What's a Dremel?