1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress ___The "MOD MEN" PC___is FINISHED!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 3 Feb 2011.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: Ha! In his defense, nothing says 'screw head' better than the little plus sign.

I forgot I sent progress pis to you... Not entirely sure I glued that inside tube in place either. It might be in place with friction only.:worried: My memory is terrible.

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Good :D:rock: I'll have to remember to paste links to the shows at the other forums I go to to help bump up the views as I'm sure many wouldn't have heard of it & it's a flipping good intro to modding so yeah I'll happily spread it about :D:thumb:. Already spreaded word of it a tiny bit but I need to remember to add the links to the shows episodes at the end of each update I do ;).

Cheaps res looks perfect btw :rock::thumb:.

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol::hehe::p

4. Attila

Attila still thinking....

I hope that was in a bottle....................at least. :hehe:

5. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

@Waynio, Thank you!

@cheaps, it's glued :)

I was showing a friend progress last night and his first words were "Are those WOOD SCREWS?!" ....:waah:

6. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Well, don't worry. I am in complete awe about the quality of the show - and you really do belong on TV. It seems so natural for you do do that **** - I would probably freeze up, or get tangled up in the language and forget all about what the purpose of filming me really was.

7. mnpctech

a couple shots of Jager can solve that :D

8. Cheapskate

*pics...

:worried: I can't drink.
    @Nutman - I hear you! 90% of my footage was garbage. I seem to trip over my tongue a lot when I'm in 'clean mode'.

@Waynio - Thanks:D

Next project uses drywall screws!!!

9. Voluntary_Pariah

Voluntary_Pariah a Real Man™

I really love the design of the case. Cheaps, you have a mind like no other (and that is a compliment).

But why in the name of Steve Irwin's ghost did you have to paint over that gorgeous, translucent acrylic? It looked jaw dropping sexy with it was test fitted. Now it just looks sexy :grr:

10. Warsmith

Warsmith Enginseer

The clear acrylic works either way for me. Painted that nice HoK metallic or if they had just cleared the inside to made the mill marks see through. Its an awesome project.

11. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

I like the basic idea of this project. The parts are looking very good. The cpu cooler looks amazing. Also the acrylic parts are beautiful. You make a very good job.

12. Cheapskate

Thanks, guys.:D The original plan was to use aluminum as much as possible, but the cost of 2" aluminum is insane. We had to hide the wires somehow.
    @warsmith - That's what I said.:hehe:
    [​IMG]
    -This page needs sum pictars! Since Bill posted part of the res, I guess it's OK to post up what lead to that pic. Here I'm sanding the base and access plate together.
    [​IMG]
    -Here they have started to look like a single part.:thumb:
    [​IMG]
    -As an afterthought, I decided to add the mounting bracket with screws instead of glue. -Also, I might have forgot not to bevel one side of the base.:worried: It worked out better like this anyway.
    [​IMG]
    -At the end I'll leave you a pic of workstation chaos. I was set up to tap with the drill press here.

13. mnpctech

We had always planned on painting the PC, to fit a color theme. Purchase Grey PVC instead of aluminum to save costs, but then I found 2" thick CLEAR acrylic cheaper than PVC. I also don't like seeing cables and wiring in Clear cases.

14. Nutman

I think you did the right thing.

I love seeing that I'm not the only modder with a messy workshop - the munky's almost worse than me!

15. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

2" clear acryllic cheaper than PVC? What is wrong with your country? :lol:

Personally, I'd take some nice sleeving and cable management behind beautifully polished acryllic anyday! :)

But when I see the assembly and the entire thing as a whole, I must admit that you made the right choice! :)

16. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

Quick question, where do you guys buy the acrylic,etc from?

17. mnpctech

@Shadow, we like Delvies

Episode #4 is up

We focus on the ins and outs of water cooling – the custom waterblock, top, and reservoir. You'll also get results of the all-important test loop – will it be water tight??? And back at Brad's paint shop, you'll get a tutorial on how to apply a cool pinstripping effect –

18. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Nice :D Cheaps, are you using the squeeze bottle for applying the glue, or are you just cleaning it?

19. Nutman

Excellent episode - Added all of them to a playlist for my own channel, to maximize your exposure to the modding community on Youtube.

20. MrNitro

MrNitro Performance Enthusiast =)

That's some very nice vids, makes me want to paint my case too ^^

@10:51 on video 4: LOL!

Last edited: 22 Mar 2011