1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. sWW

sWW Minimodder

This is one of the few games that I am desperate to get my hands on! Cannot wait!

2. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Source

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Some retuning of scores would certainly be nifty. I'd like to see some heavy reworking of bonus points for taking out enemies near objectives. In BC2 it's a little dodgy and there are plenty of situations where I, and likely others, feel cheated out of points for doing things the game didn't consider as helping the team.

For defense I'd go so far as to say that any kill made while the player is in range of the objective or the target is in range of the objective should be awarded bonus points. That way players can fend off people before they're immediately in range, as well as take them out from afar if that's tactically a better option. Those playing for kills will likely see this mechanic as a great way to farm up the kills, but is that really so bad? That's effectively all defense is so it puts the play for kills type into a team-friendly role.

Offense can't work the same way, though. It'd break down to camping control points. What I theorize is a running tally system where any kills made within range of the objective are recorded without points being given out. Upon successful capture the tallied points are cashed out. The time limit would have to be wide enough to limit frustration, but tight enough to promote actually capturing it rather than camping it until someone else captures it and cashes in your points. The enemy defense is also promoted to actualy stave off attackers in order to prevent this cash-out.

Furthermore, a running point benefit based on interaction with objectives would help synergize points with victory. Players would see the greatest benefit from both capturing objectives and holding them for longer periods of time, getting a couple points per enemy ticket removed perhaps. This shouldn't be so valuable as to out-do actually playing and being active, just a little incentive for playing well and winning.

These various changes would obviously cause an inflation in overall point values. That could be corrected by either reducing all values, or by increasing the values required per rank up.

I think I spend too much time thinking about games...

4. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

How do you feel about Battelfield 2's system?

Kill - 2 points,
    Kill assist - 1 point,
    Flag capture - 2 points,
    Flag capture assist - 1 point,
    Defend flag - 1 point.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I would make flag capture or near objective kills to be 1.5x normal score. To encourage standing ground within cap area.

Since I see so many times that people just stand outside of cap area to fight, while they could be standing inside the flag area to slow down enemy capture, buying valuable time for teammates to spawn on the cap point.

6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

How about -50 for standing near an m-com and sniping irrelevant enemies a mile off instead of defusing it?

7. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

DON'T YOU DARE SAY THAT!

8. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Midday right...looking forward to this game, got to plan a new system, or at least a new graphics card!

9. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

8 minutes until the new gameplay trailer! :lol:

10. J!n

J!n That's aperture science

Just watched it was awesome, cant wait for April 17th now

11. Stickeh

Is that the release date? or beta? or demo?!

12. J!n

J!n That's aperture science

It said at the end of the 3rd trailer that there will be a "Full 12 minute reveal April 17th" sounds good :D

13. Stickeh

Makes sense no i have watched it! Videos a bit choppy here (stupid thin clients...) so will watch it again when home.
    Looks nothing short of epic !

14. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I quite like the "banked" points idea and I think you could do this for other situations too; you could make a more complicated system with the team progress towards the objective being measured, for example, a few enemies are catching your team in a stalemate, taking out those enemies resulting in your squad moving an average of 20m closer to the objective should net you more points in a similar way.

15. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Looks pretty good I suppose, but I want MP dammit! :waah:

Also, did anyone else see a QTE in there...? :eyebrow:

16. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

it looks really nice but i honestly can't feel the burning desire to play. Maybe i'm just jaded...

17. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Didn't like that QTE... was hard to see the input commands due to their light blue transparency.

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

A single small QTE in a basement, is that really enough for people to be exploding into the nerdrage that is exploding everywhere (I refuse to read comments on RPS any more).

It's SP, based on pre-alpha software. Can we honestly expect some spit-polished masterpiece 6 months before release? Hardly.

On a positive note - Animations still look fantastic. Bodies falling from gunshots hit the deck in a realistic manner rather than fly off somewhere. The bullet impacts into the tarmac leaves small chipping and looks nice. The deployable bipod makes an LMG obviously easier to handle. Lighting looks very impressive. Players models look swish. Sound is fantastic dependant upon your position ( compare the buzz of 2 littlebirds with miniguns firing as they strafe the bridge to the one hovering at the end firing)... oh yeah, almost forgot....

Littlebirds with miniguns!!! F*** yes!
    I loved them in Project Reality. So much fun flying fire missions and having to go back to the start point to rearm and then fly back out and just lay waste to infantry. I hope that they are in MP.

With the full 12 minute version coming on the 17th, I look forward to watching it all in its entirety, but I would imagine that MP footage would be a month or so later.

The build up to this game will be relatively drip-fed, but epic nonetheless.

19. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Wait, did I just see a magnification through the scope without ADS?

Technically it's unrealistic but it's damn cool if they've done that nonetheless.

On that note, on the Sniper/DMR front I just had a nice idea, the dedicated sniper rifles should get the full screen overlay with stronger magnification but there should also be some 8x scopes where it's still possible to maintain situational awareness while looking through like when using the ACOG.

Personally I'd do something like this:

Sniper Rifles:
    e.g. Barrett .50, Intervention, L96
    High Damage
    Max Range
    Slow Fire-Rate
    Full Scope Overlay
    Stong Zoom, 8-16 times

DMR, Scout Sniper:
    e.g. M21, QBU 88, SR 25
    Medium Damage
    Same range as AR but more accurate
    Med Fire Rate
    No Scope Overlay (ADS style)
    Medium Zoom, 4-8 times

Last edited: 30 Mar 2011
  20. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Whoahhhh, i don't think any of the comments here could be described as "exploding into nerdrage". In fact it seems like you're the one who's blown our comments out of proportion :eyebrow:.

I merely pointed out that i didn't really like it, mainly due to the fact that it was relatively hard to make out exactly what the inputs were (at least the first time round...) After i knew their rough location it was easier to see a second time through (although it would have been frustrating to have missed it the first time and have had to replay it).

Also, whether or not it's pre-alpha software doesn't really correlate to whether or not QTEs are implemented or not. Sure nothing's final, but the fact that they showed it off means that they are at the very least considering it. I've got nothing against QTEs themselves, however that particularly implementation made it seem as if it had changed into a simple cutscene. Maybe in the actual game you'll be very aware that QTEs happen often, however the way it was shown and demonstrated came on very suddenly.

And finally, whilst there are always people who overreact to certain small features, voicing an opinion early is still better to dev. feedback than noone speaking up, the game being released and then people complain about little things that could have potentially been changed.