1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Thinking of a tattoo? Do you like them?

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadP1xels, 15 Jan 2011.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Aye!
    Tribals are boring....

2. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Incredibly glad... they seem to be seeping back into alternative culture now and they're just repulsive. It's a few swirly lines... great.

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I find some of the elements of tribals acceptable in the right circumstances. Though entire tribals are the tattoo equivalent of... I don't actually know of what... :p

4. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

haha, some parts sure. But when you've got the generic lines and the S shape... BLEURGH

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i've got a fair few tattoos, and planning on getting a few more soon. all i can say is make SURE whatever you choose is something you'll really want. for example once i have created a design for a tattoo i put it somewhere i HAVE to see it every day for a full year before committing. i figure its a long enough period to judge longevity. the thing i don't get with people and tattoos are the people who randomly decide to get one, go down to the parlor and pick the first generic tribal, chinese character or dolphin design they see. i also have a general dislike for band and sports team logos.

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Oh, and Dolphins and Chinese symbols 9/10 times belong with the Tribals in the bin.

me: "What's that mean?" /points at random string of chinese characters
    them: "It means 'love, live, list, sin'"
    me: "how do you know it doesn't mean 'lust after bull, shag like ant' ?"
    them: "the guy in the shop told me... he's chinese..."
    me: "!!!'

7. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I laugh at people like that...

My right arms main point is

"Determination, Perseverance, Resolution, Resurrection, Courage, Discipline, Respect, Integrity, Loyalty, Selflessness, Honour" written in Strogg from Quake. No-one on the planet can boast they have that language on their arm, let alone something that translates back :)

If people get the two references in there... I'll give you cookies

I laugh at people who get chinese writing, or tribal... it just looks so tacky. Make your body, your ink your own :)

8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Nice one BRAWL, I guess it's best to get a tattoo that means something to you and not the first generic OEM tattoo in the parlor.
    I've been on bit tech too much...
    Edit: Crap, I really have been on too much, now my post count is also my memory speed... :sigh:

9. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I've always wondered what they feel like. Or to be more specific, how much do they hurt?

10. Barracuda_00

Barracuda_00 What's a Dremel?

Tribals, Yea tacky as hell. Tho i almost cracked up in laughter when i saw a chav choosing from random portfolio to go for the so rare cross tattoo. He must have stood for 5 minutes before he had that choice down :p

@Fizzban

Pain is very subjective. In the case of tattoo´s it also depends on the skill of the artist.

My first sitting i did all the lines over the entire arm and i only started feeling the pain for the last hour. (endorphines etc) tho if i had to choose some spots i would personally say the inside and outside of the elbow joint. Outside sucks because you´re hitting bone all the time, inside because of the extremely thin skin.

generally areas with bone tend to hurt more i´d say.

My 2 cents ^^

Planning on starting the next one once i´ve spoken the artist who did my last. She did a full design from what i asked for and she managed to do it good, A quality i would say is lacking nowadays...

//Cuda
    //Cuda

Fizzban likes this.
  11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Having two tatts, My impression is that nothing prepares you for what it feels like. Ever.

On my calf some areas were OK, others were sore as hell. There it felt like a tiny hot knife being pulled through the skin.

On my stomach it hurt differently every 2cm. Sometimes feeling like being skinned would feel like (I imagine), and at times like a jackhammer. At times I felt like I couldn't breathe.

It depends on where you're getting tattooed, how thick the needle is (1 point, 3 point, 5 point are all common. The thicker ones get used to shade often), how skilled the artist is, personal interpretation of pain, etc.

It doesn't matter who tells you what, you won't know what it feels like until you get it done. And even then, you won't know what any other spot feels like.

My rule of thumb: Close to bone hurts. Any spot where you're even remotely tickelish is gonna hurt as well.

Fizzban likes this.
  12. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I have two now. The Bald Eagle on my left arm covers the:
    HAMC
    Society Sucks

underneath. Marilyn designed it.

Now I'm working on a DNR(Do Not Resuscitate) tattoo for my chest. Working with my artist to do tiny paddles with red circle and slashes to indicate my life choice. :duh:

john

Ljs likes this.
  13. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Bump Lol

Still looking for new ideas my brain is telling me not to go with something large to start with but then i want something thats not to small and girly looking....

I also want something that has some meaning.... whether it be my values/morals or just intrests possibly....

Looking at elbow and above now and i think it would be stupid to do anything lower this early into education, maybe if i get into a solid job i love that does'nt give a **** then i can go further

I may be inclined to go lower if it was something simple im still toying with the text band idea but im not sure if it might turn out looking like some hebrew or **** and look cheesy and tacky

Waiting list at 18 to life is around 3 months atleast which is fine by me gives me plenty of thinking time once i book the final day

14. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

That DNR tattoo is freaking awesome. I need to draw myself up one.

15. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It depends on what part of the body, on flesh bits it's not to bad. I find that and where near bones tend to hurt and the vibration feels really odd...lol

When the out lines been done it's like a bad stinging sensation a bit like being cut with a sharp knife.

16. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Quick update. Under strong UV my old H.A.M.C and Society Sucks can still be read. Inks are just different to show up.

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

the pain level (as discussed before in this thread) is 100% variable, dependant on person, location and perception of pain.
    In some spots, I can personally drop into a almost zen-like "love the pain" type of place. In other places, it just feels like a tiny red-hot ice-cream scoop scooping up skin or like a hot knife...

b0ng0 likes this.
  18. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

That's the best description of getting a tattoo I've ever heard.

19. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

So get something that's unique... Find a language that you can relate to (In my case, Strogg) and use that. My tattoo's quite intimidating because it isn't English and isn't recognisable. I found the language that no-one else had... try looking at something like Cuneiform.

Value's and Morals are the best way to go with a tattoo (personally). Especially if you're younger matey, i got mine down at 19/20 (can't remember) and yeah okay I'm only 22... 23 next month *cries* but i've done more than the average 22 year old has that allows me to understand my morals better than most.

Might want to consider your chest, shoulders area chap? They never get shown for years except when you're feeling like a human Adonis OR you're with a lady lol

The artist will generally ask for your idea when you book chap.

However don't be afraid to ask the artist what would look good on you, they do it for a living so they might be able to suggest improvements OR show you different ideas.

20. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I plan to take an idea thats pretty specific but very loose....

I.e i know what i want but im happy to let the artist run with it and change it up to something that looks good

Im thinking at the moment of top of arm because as i said one day i want a full sleeve and i think it would be better a sleeve of different stuff from different parts of my life on one arm than deciding on one theme