1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by yodasarmpit, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Massa is clearly on the same line as what? It's not the same line as he'd taken on previous laps which would have taken him around the corner following Webber. Does he look like he's following Webber on that lap?

He was complaining on the radio because instead of taking the line he'd taken over the previous laps Massa turned in at an earlier point which left Hamilton with nowhere to go apart from up onto the kerb. Up until the point Massa turned in his line was the same as he'd been using on previous laps but for some reason on that lap he decided to turn much earlier instead of following Webber around the corner.

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Three pages of this now. :wallbash:

Please just accept that you have different views on it and shut the **** up.

Canada in two weeks, woot! Love Montreal!

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

:thumb: :hehe:

4. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I'll just add my 2 pence.... (puts on flame proof overalls)

If you look at how Massa defended his line (and the apex) meant that he actually ran into the back of Webber in the process, it's pretty clear that Massa didn't take the same approach to the Loews hairpin the lap before.

I'm not saying that Lewis was right for putting his car all up over the kerb, but Massa could have given him some room (as per Schuey vs Lewis on lap 1). Massa would have only lost one position, instead he lost any chance of points and got pushed out on the dust and marbles in the tunnel.

Last edited: 30 May 2011
  5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

DRS should be fun there. :thumb:

6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I think I heard yesterday there is going to be 2 zones.

7. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

I missed the race this weekend but I just watched the highlights on iPlayer. I think Vettel was gifted this race and Hamilton, while certainly unlucky, donned his entitled petulant child hat.

A bit depressing that Vettel pretty much has the championship already, but hopefully the races themselves continue to be interesting to watch.

Also what the hell was going on in those two Red-Bull pit stops, was there an explanation in the F1 Forum or somewhere else?

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

a radio cokcup IIRC... short version: they ended up putting webber's tyres [which were the wrong ones for vettel] on vettel and then had no tyres ready for webber

Last edited: 30 May 2011
    theevilelephant likes this.
  9. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I heard that too, i'm sure of it. Canada has the highest speed of any circuit on the calendar and a very, very long place to use it. Here's hoping they put it/them in the right place.

Linky Seems like they are :clap: With DRS down the back straight they could be hitting over 210mph i reckon (provided they're geared for it of course)

10. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

After turn 10 is the run down to the hairpin which is fine, but itll be interesting to see how it works out on the back straight if theres 2 cars fighting for position and a third which is going to pit.

11. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Oooooh yeah, 3 cars, 3 lots of KERS, 2 lots of DRS, over 200mph, approaching the wall of champions........

12. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Just been looking at the track and turn 10 is the hairpin meaning its that long long run up to the wall of champions chicane which has DRS, then again after the chicane. Will there be two detection zones? Since the only way i can work it out is that with one detection zone someone will be able to blitz past up the straight, take the chicane and then also use DRS to escape which would be very unfair i feel.

13. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Strange the circuit layout i was looking at had the hairpin as turn 11, the track listed on formula1.com does have the hairpin as turn 10 though :confused:

not that it makes much difference, but im sure ive read somewhere that theres only a single detection point, maybe they're going to 'prime' DRS on both cars but only activate it on the following car at both points?

14. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

Loved China and Turkey... Only thing which ruined this for me was not getting to see how Button would have dealt with that final charge he was making on the leaders before the race stoppage! He was flying until he catch up but then didn't seem to be attacking all that much.

Also disliked that they were able to work on the cars during the race stop... That would have still be rather spectacular to watch.

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I didn't watch Monaco, as I was lying in bed with the Flu... And looking at all the heat around overtakes and whatnot, I am almost glad I didn't. I'm just glad that all the drivers walked out OK.
    McLaren on the podium makes me happy. Massa still bitching about Leiws AFTER two penalties is as unasked for as Lewis's outburst.

Canada up next. Canada is supposedly hard on the tyres. With two DRS zones, the advantage should theoretically not be quite as heavily in the RBR field.
    I actually reckon that Macca has a chance here.

As for the Championship being effectively Vettel's: BS.
    the difference is under 3 vicotries bewteen Vettel and Lewis. Fortunes change, and there are still at least 13 races left.

16. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

One other point with regard to DRS, is it just me or does it look like McLaren haven't used it to the full potential? When the wing opens on all the other teams cars it looks like the whole top element has gone horizontal but McLarens just looks a bit limp-wristed. Anyone else noticed this?

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Yeah, I have.
    However, the maccas seem to accelerate better with it than a lot of other teams (Merc, for example).

18. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Also true, i really don't understand it lol

19. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

20. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Ah, thanks for that. That does make a lot of sense, kind of feel a little bit thick for not realising it lol