1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tottenham Riots

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Dwarfer, 8 Aug 2011.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah, I read about a similar thing in Birmingham, a group of muslims I believe it was creating a wall to protect a streets shops, good to see people standing up against the looters.
    Apparently tonight there were several groups, including ones in enfield who got together and just marched, stopping looters etc

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Interesting. I wonder how that will play out the next time people start complaining about how all those foreigners are destroying the country and steeling the jobs. If all of that is true, then it looks like the ethnic communities are the ones actually trying to keep the place together, ensuring that folks have a job to come back to once the dust has settled.

You just have to love the irony.

I would be interested to see how much of that is due to the family structure in Muslim and other so-called ethnic cultures as opposed to the home life of the people involved in the riots. I suspect a lot of it might relate to what Nexxo has been saying all this time.

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, this won't help at all on that front. If you take a look at the pictures of the rioting the people who are rioting are for the very most part a colour that ain't white and ain't brown. This isn't going to help with race relations. In fact I've heard from quite a few people that some are already breaking out the racism on this one.

A social and cultural issue, not an ethnic one.

4. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Rubber bullets are used to distance a violent crowd so would be no use against these mobs as they run as soon as theres too many police.

16,000 officers have kept london quiet tonight so far and will proably be the same come daylight, water cannons are proably a good investment for police in future though thats something that will be disccussed once the riots are over.

The problem with the police is that following successive events they have been persecuted by the media and the public for being too heavy handed, parliament should agree to free up police so they dont have to spend most of there time dealing with red tape and let them deal with these problems when they arrive.

Is always going to be a delay to organise alot of police to mobilise though now that numbers are deployed and arrests are rising it will most likely be the end of it for now.

Whats needed for the future is for police to be free to react quickly and effiecently to these situations, use appropriate force to deal with each situation they face.

5. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

LOL at these vigilante crime watch taking place right now: http://catchalooter.tumblr.com/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/video/2011/aug/09/london-riots-london

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14470772
    Certainly got my respect.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2011
  6. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

7. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

i really don't see what difference it makes if he fired the gun or not; the only thing which matters is whether or not he was brandishing the gun in such a manner that it was reasonable to believe that someone would be harmed if action was not taken. If he was then the Police were well within their rights to shoot, if not then serious questions need to be asked and the officer responsible needs to charged and put thru the justice system.

8. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Can't confirm if this was actually said by the police but the worry comes from the fact that the police said they were in a shootout. if they did actually state that then its an obvious lie and will raise questions

9. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Well 16,000 officers did the job in london, just need higher numbers across the country to put a end to this riot.

As for the shooting, if the armed officers feel that there life is threatened they are allowed to shoot, have to see what the full results of the independent investigation into the event are.

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Aiming your gun at police officer qualifies as one, even if you don't have time to shoot.

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

12. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Due to the events we've witnessed over the last week or so, and the lack of commitment from this boneless government Lib/Lab/Con... at the next elections have anyone of you lot changed your mind on who you will vote?

For me, I will be going right wing this time as the current government(s) are WEAK!

It's not really tackling the RIOT though is it? We're just moving from one place to another.. a pathetic excuse used when moving yobs from one shop corner to another...

Did you watch the news lastnight, the rioting may have not being as bas as London on Monday night but it was bad enough yet outside of London it was a Cat & Mouse game...

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Why don't you move to Iran or North Korea, where this sort of thing doesn't happen?

You are now talking like the parents of the rioters. Government should sort my problems out. Government should take responsibility for my problems. Government should parent and raise my children.

It's not the government that is weak; it is parents. It is people who will sir on their asses like spoilt, unboundaried children waiting for a perfect caregiver to wipe their bottoms and blow their noses for them.

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Aye, that poor Jessops shop. I can't believe the brazenness of the cocks trying to get through the security shutters, in full view of a Sky News camera crew. As has been mentioned before, there were plenty of hoodies on bicycles giving warnings to where the riot crew were so that the cocks could carry on uninterrupted.

15. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Had my Tesco Express right across the road from me get ram-raided at 1am.

The kids used a BMW to smash the door and gate, half of them got in and an undercover cop car pulled up on em with a patrol car not 15seconds later.

Managed to catch at least 1 of them outside, with 1 or 2 trapped in the store.

Not 2minutes later theres 5 Vans, a riot van and 7/8 squad cars there, all of them piling into the store (30-40 cops).

Looters managed to break out the back door and get away.

Stupid thing is, it looks like they might have used their own car for it (keys were still in the ignition)

16. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

Exactly. Whilst it's great that London is quieting down, what are they going to do about Birmingham, Manchester etc. ? I'm hearing on the news that it was supposed to have been better in Birmingham last night than Monday. Not from my perspective. Was watching 2 plumes of smoke from about 6:00 pm onwards from burning cars just over the road from me. Loads of crowds yelling and screaming, car alarms going off, windows being put through - I saw helicopters and heard a few sirens in the distance but couldn't see anything. I've been locked in from half 5 the past 2 evenings, I'd be mad to try and head out anywhere. 3 blokes run over and killed last night (nothing confirmed as to what happened yet, though I've heard they were trying to chase off the rioters).

Leaving this morning there were about 30 cars just round the corner on my way out of the flat, every window smashed in - heard all this going on til about 3 in the morning when I finally got to sleep. Not a whisper of any police intervention in my area all evening - these vandals had clearly been running around unchecked all night :(

It feels like a pretty hopeless situation to be honest and the impression we get is that the authorities are just going to wait for everything to blow over. What can be done? It's a shame but we aren't gonna risk it any more, me and the missus are just gonna pack up anything of worth and head to the parents house til things are alright again.

17. Odini

Odini What's a Dremel?

Never has a truer word been spoken! Whilst listening to the Today programme during my drive in, a 'rioter' said that his parent's knew his location last night and that he 'might' get shouted at a bit but he doesn't care. He still won't get grounded or anything.

If my child informed me that he intended to loot, he certainly would not be leaving the house, or if he did, it would be with the knowledge that the police would be informed of his intention.

18. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

No thanks... WE employ the government to protect us unless you have forgotten?

I agree the parents play a huge part in keeping their children in the straight & narrow however the government also plays a role. For the last 10 years Liebour has relaxed its laws on punishing criminals and instead of punishing them for their crimes they are giving community service (which half the time, they walk out from) they are given an ASBO, i mean seriously.. what a loads of rubbish.

Bring back national service, shows these litter cretins that they need to show respect in this country & that going around ruining peoples lives is NOT tolerated!

As we currently stand, on the news earlier a bunch of lads were being interviewed and they said, we are looting cos we have nothing to FEAR!

19. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

There is a solution, but it would be very unpopular - curfew, with harsh punishment.

20. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

While that's true, it's largely irrelevant and not all blame lies with the parents. The government and the police have the responsibility of protecting the public and businesses (that's what we pay taxes for, remember), and should be able to do so by any means necessary. They clearly haven't been up to the task with these riots in terms of manpower, tactics, and organisation - that much is obvious. That doesn't mean I'm about to start voting for far-right parties in the next election, but things could have definitely been handled better and proper action been taken more swiftly (why the hell did it take 3 nights of rioting for the PM to get off the beach and tell the Met to get more coppers on the streets? :sigh:). There will always be bad parents with out of control kids, but the government can't force them to be good parents, and neither can we. Unfortunately they are generally too stupid and/or ignorant to listen whenever someone tries to help them.