1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning The GuilleAcoustic design thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GuilleAcoustic, 23 Mar 2011.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Will this be a closed case in the end, or will it be more like a open testbench?

The reason why I'm asking this is, that you need exhaust-fans. For a good working setup there needs to be as much air being exhausted as is pushed into the case. Otherwise you'll get a negative airflow, resulting in turbulances with the possibility of increasing noise or in worst case increased temperatures.

Because of this I usually don't use fans to push air into the case at all, but only use exhaust-fans, which draw air into the case by creating underpressure, if you get what I mean. This usually reduces the fans used (less noise) and works like a charm for me during the last years, not having any issues with temps either.

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Opened case, only a very vented coreving grid / mesh. Thanks for the advise mate. This is very appreciable.

3. GuilleAcoustic

Little update. I droped the AP181s for AP141s, I moved the hardware upward and droped a simple folded sheet that acts like an airduct.

The back is totally opened (will just add a PCI holder). The front will only have a minimalist grill to cover the fans (or maybe only the magnatic Silverstone dust filters).

The PSU moved to the bottom of the case and has no dress yet.

I want this case to be as minimalist as possible while keeping the hardware away from lurking little fingers :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I actualy like these setups, that aren't really fully fledged enclosures. You just need a can of compressed air, to dust it off every few days :D

5. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks mate :)

I wanted to get a compressor for warhammer / Infinity figurine painting :D. It'll have two purpose now :hehe:

I'm filling like not hiding the psu cables, just having them nicely and fully sleeved and leaving them going from the psu to the "hardware shell" in a tidy but slightly entangled way.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Nov 2011
  6. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

You'll need a support for the GPU mate. But hell that's a cool idea..

7. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks mate, I'm glad that you like the idea :). The GPU support is planned, but I have no precise idea yet.

8. GuilleAcoustic

Little update. I've designed a fan grill / filter (based on Silverstone magnetic 140mm filter, but made it dual fan).

The cable are just very quick ones to show you my idea about PSU cable routing. This is a pain in the arth to model cables in SU.

[​IMG]

I've also added a quick GPU holder

[​IMG]

9. Razer2007

Looks good. I love it. How about a enclosure like the top one for the forever alone open PSU? Just small that the PSU fits in nice and tight?

10. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks Raz. I'm feeling guilty about the psu :D. I'll to make her a little home.

I think I'll practice bending some wood. Steam or special fluid .... I still don't know :lol:

Last edited: 18 Nov 2011
  11. Canardwc

Canardwc @French_fab_factorie

Your last design is just, pure, clean and simple...

Have you registered it? :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Kiding, but when will you star to build your first sratch??? ;)

If you need help, i bought lot of tools those last mounths to begin my mod... So tell me if you need!

Chuss!

Encore une fois, trés beau design ton dernier projet!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

12. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks a lot, I appreciated it :). Registered, not really. Just hope people are kind enough to not steal it (for commercial use). To be honest, it is too specific to be a good seller :D

I'm kind of lacking time and money. And with christmas coming ... but thanks for your help. I'm willing to build it without any powertools, so I think I have everything.

Merci :D

13. GuilleAcoustic

Little update to show the current state of the design. I've added a PSU "cover" and started to play with materials.

What do you think of it (I'll add the fan cover tomorrow as in the previous post, but didn't had it @home) ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

What material do you plan to use for the wood-textured part? Do you think of laminating like it's sometimes found in chairs?

And what about doing the whole thing out of acrylics?

15. GuilleAcoustic

I was thinking about using wood that I'll bend (using an home made steam chamber).

Acrylic for the white covers could be nice, lighter than aluminium or steal.

I do not know if acrylic would be sufficient do make the main chassis. I'm afraid it could bend under the weight of the hardware.

EDIT : I've added the fan grill ... not to happy with the colour. I'll definitly try other options.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Nov 2011
  16. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

i thought a really nice chunk of brushed aluminium would look nice! :)
    which white accents

17. GuilleAcoustic

18. Razer2007

That looks better

19. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

In school I took part in a workshop, building a guitar, where we used the laminate-technique to form the corpus of the guitar. No steam or anything required, just the laminate (sheets of 1mm), woodglue and a positive-form to press the laminate against.

Let it dry for a week and... voilá ;)

20. GuilleAcoustic

and voila .... time to hunt for laminate :D. Thanks for the hint.