Overclocking Dodgy scan overclock or different hardware problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeckerdBR, 12 Jan 2012.

1. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Hi all,

I have one of Scans Pre overclocked CPU, Mainboard and RAM bundles (see sig below), which was previously repeat blue screening. I returned it to them, thinking they would replace the hardware as I was getting other issues (like onboard LAN suddenly and randomly not working) and repeat AAP crashes (not sure if it’s a dodgy PCIE slot or a software/driver issue).
    Then without warning, my PC turned up on my door step, no warning it was being delivered or what had been done to it... so I called Scan and got them to confirm the fix. They confirmed the OC was unstable and had changed some settings and had managed to get it from 4.6 to 4.7 in the process and that it should now be stable.

Sadly it was running very hot, at around 86c under load so I changed from the X3S OC profile to the standard NON OC profile in the bios. I left it that way until recently, after I had ordered some additional cooling fans, adding a 140mm and a 120mm fans. Effectively giving me 2x 120mm intake fans, 1x 120 exhaust at the back and 1x 140mm exhaust on the side. This instantly reduced the NON OC temperatures in both idle and load by about 10c. With max temps not going above 60 or so.

Yesterday I re-enabled the OC, ran an Intel burn test and BAM within a few seconds, a BSOD:

A clock interrupt was not received on the secondary processor within the allocated time interval.
    STOP: 0X00000101 (0X0000000000000031, 0X0000000000000000, 0XFFFFF880009EE180, 0X0000000000000001)

So I rebooted and kicked off a Prime 95, on a small FTF test, I left running from 11PM till 8AM with no errors when I checked this morning. I stopped that test and started a Large FTF test, which I will check at 6pm tonight, giving both tests a similar run time. The max core temp recorded was a whopping 89c on the overnight test I just ran. Prior to me disabling the new OC I did have 1 addition BSOD when playing a game.

Any advice, other things I can do or is it a case of back to scan it goes? The temperature is one issue but the BSOD are a big problem.

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I like the way you send it back because it was unstable and they sent it back overclocked more lol

I would personally drop the oc down to something like 4.5ghz and then take it from there.

3. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Error code 101 suggests the vcore needs increasing. Have you tried increasing the vcore at all?

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Not another one of these. They pop up ALL the time! Companies should start employing us to sort out their dodgy overclocking skills.

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I don't have much bad to say about scan from my experience but from what your saying, it doesn't fill me with confidence in their overclocking/customer service.

I would post in the Scan forum on bit about the issue if you haven't already and see what they say.

I would lower the clocks, but no need to go to default. Try a 40x turbo ratio for now with a core voltage of 1.2 and then check stability and temps with that. (No need to do a overnighter, just an hour or 2 to get a good idea of how warm it gets and if it is reasonably stable)

As a fellow R3 owner (that has done quite a bit to the standard cooling) what case fans are you now running and in what configuration?

6. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Send it back. You paid for an over clocked system and they haven't supplied a stable one. Explain to them what tests you done to make the over lock fail.

7. yassarikhan786

Lol, I wonder what tests, if any they have to pass in order to become one of these so called "overclockers" as these OC problems seem to be happening a lot.

8. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Are you suggesting he increases the v core when he is hitting 89c in prime?

Deckerd do not increase, it is time to decrease clock speed and voltage, find stability and good load temps then increase from there

9. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

or you can just learn a little about overclocking and sort it yourself and save yourself a ton of hassle :/

ideally yes it should work but its a major pita being without your machine and having to ship it back to scan all the time.

10. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Can you post your bios settings for the scan OC profile?

11. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Id send it back and ask what I paid for, or a refund. Sure you could tinker the oc yourself to get it sorted, but thats what you paid extra to avoid right?

Also, dont increase the vcore if your temps are hitting 89c. I would just set it to stock for now as it will no doubt be plenty fast enough.

12. yassarikhan786

Lol, I forgot about the high temps to begin with.

On that note, don't increase the vcore, just decrease the clock and voltage or send it back.

13. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

This is the 3rd post I've read on these forums in the last week or so with members having problems with Scan Pre-OC 2500K bundles.

Not good! Just goes to show that you pay the premium to have someone overclock it for you, and end up sorting it yourself anyway! Waste of money if you ask me, and you're denying yourself the experience and education to be had from doing it yourself.

14. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

I had this on my 2600k when folding at 4.9Ghz - knocked it back to 4.8Ghz and all was fine. Easy fix is to clock it down slightly but if you want what you paid for - send it back!

15. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Worry not; I will not increase the vcore :)

I will drop it down 1 or 2 hundred MHz and see if stability returns. It is a little annoying and from a principle perspective it should be stable but it's also a bit of ball ache to have to send it all back and be without a PC for 10 days or more...again :/

All the fans in my pc are are the official fractal ones.

Scan OC Profile settings from the bios:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/12012012209.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/12012012210.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/12012012211.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/12012012212.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/12012012213.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/12012012214.jpg/

Last edited: 12 Jan 2012
  16. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

Not sure whether this would make a difference, but try making the BCLK a smooth 100Mhz? I heard that changing it can cause instability, but im also not sure whether thats the default BCLK.

17. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I would drop the v core to 1.3 and the turbo ratio to 42 - 43 and see how stability is. Off the top of my head I know I run the cpu ppl at 1.9 but then my settings are no good to you... them leaving everything on auto apart from v core and ram is rubbish for 4.7

Totally understand you not wanting to lose your rig for 10days, major pita.

If it was me, I would see how others have set up your mobo with a 2500k and have a tinker. Not worth keep sending it back to scan (who seemingly are not that great at overclocking properly)

18. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

It'll be 100.31 due to slight variation, it'll be set to 100 I'm sure. Up to ~104 is deemed ok apparently, so this is still fine.

As others have said, drop the VCore and frequency - I'd not want (and don't) to run my 2500K at anywhere beyond 1.38V, especially not without adequate cooling.

Drop the voltage to 1.35V, and the clock speed to 4GHz, then raise the multiplier by one and stress test. Rinse and repeat until you find instability, then drop back down one.

I don't see why Scan et al always go for such high overclocks, when the average 2500K won't do any more than 4.4GHz on 1.35V, and 1.4V is not recommended for a long-life... I don't understand why they don't go for something more realistic, like a 1GHz overclock, for 4.3GHz - it's still more than standard, and if you're not comfortable overclocking and fiddling with the BIOS it gives a good performance boost with little to worry about.

Ah well, when I run a business then I can make these kind of decisions...

Edit: Woah it's at 1.44V? Christ, no wonder it's running hot. Get that VCore down, now, and ask Scan what they are doing selling an overclock with 1.44V - waaay too high, your chip shall fry with inadequate cooling (and still degrade pretty fast with).

19. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

1.44 Vcore is SHOCKING!!!! WTF are Scan playing at??? They did 4.7GHz with 1.44v as a package supplied with an Akasa Venom air cooler???

Have they got Stevie Wonder doing the overclocks these days??????

Last edited: 13 Jan 2012
  20. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

That CPU Vcore is insane! You only want to go that high if you've got extremely good cooling or your doing benchmark runs!

Get it down to 1.35V as said above with a multi of 40 to 42 then try increasing:

CPU PLL up to 1.9V
    QPI/Vtt to 1.12V (up to 1.2V is fine)
    System Agent Voltage up to around 1.135V (up to 1.2V is fine again)

You can also knock PCH Core up slightly but not much more that the default.

If it's stable with those settings then start increasing the multi till you get some instability.

Read this article. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/1

That OC is completely pants and I'm shocked that a company with Scan's reputation would do that. I'd be kicking off with them big time!

There's a lot to gained from doing the research, asking the forumites and OC'ing yourself mate.

EDIT. Just noticed page 4 of the bit-tech guide I've linked you is your mobo. Use that as a guide but keep your RAM voltage at 1.5V instead of 1.65V used in the guide.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2012