1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2012 Thread - Post season

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 7 Dec 2011.

1. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Holy crap, just over 16 minutes and I'm struggling to find something I don't agree with. Strange as it sounds the best channel for various motorsport right now is MotorsTV which is a free channel to SKy (and FreeSat I presume). You name it, chances are that it's on there. F3, Sports Cars, Endurance, Rally, Touring Cars. Yes it's usually a week or so after the event but they are making the effort and it shows. I bet their viewing figures are extremely high.

Brilliant talk by Steve there, saying what he thinks and how it is/was regardless of what the BBC may have said before publicly.

2. alastor

alastor Minimodder

That was a very good talk by Steve, the amount of motorsport on terrestrial TV is frankly appalling, and is only going to get worse.

Very good news coming from Austin, with the circuit chiefs saying construction is back on track for completion in August. I'm particularly looking forward to that race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97091

3. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

As am I. The undulations in the track really hark back to the 'proper' tracks like Spa. Some of the action under braking at the end of that long straight will be awesome, big stopping zone whilst going up hill :D

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Agreed, great talk by Steve. I now have a new found respect for the man - good to see him talking so honestly about something that he clearly has a passion for - and a lifetime of experience in.

5. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

He definitely has a real passion for it. To my mind it would be very hard for anyone who isn't a petrol head to host 6 straight hours of touring car coverage if they weren't.

6. alastor

alastor Minimodder

It's looking like our first view of a 2012 car will come next Thursday, as Caterham unveil their challenger...in F1 Racing magazine. Interesting strategy.

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Yeah... I am quite excited, actually.
    I have high hopes for Caterham (in my mind still "real-lotus") this year, after seing the way they clsoed the gap last year...

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Look what turned up at the office today. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Haha, awesome. Is it an RB7 static or RB6?

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It's an RB6 static

11. Krikkit

Still a cool bit of kit to be loitering around reception, heh. If only they didn't need to hide it behind barriers like that!

12. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Maybe you could stand on the front wing and see how flexible it is? :lol:

Craig Scarborough has put up his technical preview for the coming season, including a nice sketch of a 2012 legal car. Who do you think will get closest to this?

[​IMG]

13. Krikkit

HRT - they've got time to take his design and implement it.

14. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

2012, the year of the duckbill platypus.

15. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I don't think the cars will be quite that extreme. So often last year teams introduced a new piece like a front wing with various added bits and pieces and they frequently didn't work. It seemed as if they were going along the lines of 'less is more'. Things could be shaken up with the new regs though so I guess it's all eyes on Caterham for what we have to come :)

Looking through those ideas in the technical preview the one which stood out to me was the possibility of blowing exhaust directly onto fin on the rear brake ducts. Downforce directly on the wheel? If someone makes that work it could make for some very interesting results.

Great article, thanks for the link :thumb: It's set my brain off on a million and one stupid ideas which have probably been thought of and long binned by the real designers lol Still, passes the time.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2012
  16. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Is there any word about if the F1 channel is free on its own with virgin media or do you have to get the entire sports package?

17. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

It seems to be tied in with Virgin's Sky Sports package, since they do their own HD package it's not tied in with that I'd imagine.

18. alastor

alastor Minimodder

19. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Hmmm. What are the odds that it was Ferrari who complained?

20. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?