1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Enermax Liberty 400W PSU Vs E8500 + GTX 480! PhysX Challenge!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 8 Apr 2012.

?

Enermax Liberty 400W PSU Vs E8500 + GTX 480

1. YES, it will work flawlessly!

30 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. NO, it will never work!

22 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's ridiculous! Not bad for a £43.46 PSU in old money! :D

I might try and take some decent snapshots of my rig. I have some in my photo album but they're a bit shaky cam! My case is fully open to the elements, even given this fact the air above the RAM (motherboard) gets really hot. However on low settings the Deltas soon cool the entire motherboard when turned on.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

[​IMG]

E8500 remained overclocked at 4GHz and I dropped the voltage on the GTX 480 to 975mV everything else is stock.

My stressed temperatures equals your idle temps! :D

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Almost forgot to mention, power draw around 380W with the above Heaven Benchmark.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

the temps on it are ridicule no? got a couple of be quiet silent wings off the market place. silent, they are not........, although at 2200rpm they're pushing 76cfm so will be getting some good airflow through my case. lookin at the 3rd party coolers i'm tempted by the zalman vf3000f, which also has a one piece heatsink for all the ram and vr.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I have some Silent Wings fans and they are silent! You have the version with the ribbed fan blades?

Gather the Zalman is a good cooler but the Gelid strikes me as the more adaptive model should you wish to try it on another GPU at some point in the future. It also comes with plenty of aluminium heatsinks of various shapes and sizes.

Your right, the temperatures are ridiculous. Just ran the Heaven Benchmark with only 950mV running through the GTX 480. I believe this GTX 480 is going to be one hell of an overclocker once I get it under water so the entire ensemble is properly cooled.

6. The_Crapman

Sorry they are shadow wings, but yeh with the ribbed blades
    http://www.be-quiet.net/be-quiet.net/index.php?StoryID=30&ProductID=270&websiteLang=en
    I can kick them down to make them silent, but ramp up the revs and they scream!

The gelid is a fair bit ccheaper too and as it's only temporary, would be silly to spend loads on it.

Will have a play with mine after work tomorrowsee what it's capable of. You seem to have got yourself a little ripper there!

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

8. The_Crapman

Strewth bruce!:eeek:
    I've been making do with some rather wimpy akasa fans till these, so probably just not used to real airflow. Lol was goin to use one of them for my kuhler, but not sure how I'd mount it on with the funny plug fixings you get with them.

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Cable ties.

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

This is the lowest limit I could reach on the voltage with stock clocks at 925mV 100% stable!

[​IMG]

Giving everything a thrashing it drew 475W from the mains that's a 45W saving over the stock voltage of 1013mV which drew 520W. The Enermax Liberty 400W PSU was fully stable at both settings. This gives me a great deal of confidence for my planned overclock on this GTX 480. May even save further power on the GPU once it's under water since the Gelid Icy Vision will be out of the equation. Although it will be substituted with a couple of Phobya Nano-2G fans on a second 240 RAD!

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Discovered the limit of my Enermax Liberty 400W PSU is in fact 600W! All it did was shut down. I left it for a minute, flipped the switch and everything worked fine. What a marvellous little PSU! Just goes to show that these lower power units should not be dismissed lightly.

12. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

shocked, well done enermax

13. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Now thats getting your monies worth!

Good call bud! I'm impressed with the Enermax!

14. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Only if they are made by Enermax, try that with most other brands of PSU, and I reckon it would have shut down/gone pop or exploded much earlier than the Enermax unit.

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

How's the Platimax for noise? I only ditched the Galaxy for the AX850 because the former was getting loud.

16. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Really good actually, My old revolution used to get a bit loud, but that's only because it got a bit of dust inside I think, once I used the dust filters I got with the TJ11, it was pretty good, the Platimax was always able to take the ridiculous load I put it under when I had my classified Gtx 580 hydrocopper's, those where some monster cards, did 1.1Ghz on the core when they weren't in SLI and the fan never really span up, the Unit would get warm, but not over-ally hot.

Pretty much I will never stop using Enermax, unless something better and with braided cables comes along :D

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Yeah, that's the one area they fall down! Can't we send these things to some braiding sweat shop?

18. leslie

leslie Just me!

I'm impressed.
    I would not have expected that, and I certainly wouldn't say that your results are typical even for other good psu's, but that is certainly impressive and unexpected

19. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

New Enermax Liberty 400W Challenge, PhysX!

So chummies! It seems you doubters were wrong and my Enermax Liberty 400W is indeed fully GTX 480 capable alongside a heavily overclocked E8500. However there is one very important question left unanswered. Can it do all this with a dedicated PhysX card thrown in to the mix?

This will take some extremely deft water cooling skills (more hose!). I think in the end my case will evolve from project Loch Ness Monster in to project Octopus! The card is a 8800GT courtesy of sandys, it cost a clutch of English notes, what will it cost my PSU?

Just try to talk me out of it, I dare you! :D

20. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Meh, I'll just say DO IT! :D