1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking First build complete. 3570K OC Figures on page 5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tigernos, 8 Apr 2012.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Sweeeeeet! :D What cooler did you get? If you haven't already seen, Ivybridge gets a little toasty when overclocked :S

2. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Have another point for your rig sig! ;)

I am doing the same with my planned build (buying a few bits at a time). Once I am certain on what the core system will be, I will have a massive splurge.

This is like the foreplay right now...

second base to be precise..

3. Tigernos

Tigernos Resident Roman Soldier

The new Arctic i30, it got some great reviews and its only £30, I'm not going to be doing any major overclocking, primarily because I have no idea how, so anything I will do will be in baby steps. I am keen to overclock the GPU though because from reviews I've seen and benchmarks it can be very mildly overclocked and will outperform its 570 bigger brother with less heat and less power consumption.

A question for you, do I assemble the CPU and cooler with the motherboard as soon as they arrive and post pics, or wait till next week when the GPU and RAM arrive and do one big build post?

This bits-at-a-time approach is sending me loopy. I wish I was richer and could buy it all at once haha

Thanks for the rep too Madness_3d

4. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I test the mobo, cpu, ram and gpu outside the case on a stable non conductive surface to see if anything is doa. Nothing worse than building it into the case and tidying (like I did once) to find a dead part.

Are you buying the GTX 560 new? Have you thought about 2nd hand as the 6xx mid range stuff hits soon

5. Tigernos

Yeah the 560 is coming new from scan. The one I'm getting is stretching my current budget enough as it is. The midrange 6xx's may be a possible upgrade in the future but with the current stuff in my sig I'm actually thinking the motherboard will be the first possible upgrade. Got a nice cheap £90 one when I was planning my build to be a lot cheaper than its turned out. aside from the PSU and RAM it is the cheapest thing I've got so before I go spending 200-300 or more on graphics I'm gonna get a better motherboard to suit.

For this first build I'm gonna go with all new parts, I'd rather be safe in the knowledge that if anything goes pop when it's brand new I can return and replace it. I'm sure some good deals could be had second hand but if it goes bang who do I return it to? Who replaces it? I'm a bit OCD when spending money and I'd rather pay more for a brand new part.

Best example of my obsession was when I bought a motorcycle. 2008 model GSX-R600 £7200 brand new. Same bike with 200 miles on the clock, guy bought it a month before I did but found the ride position uncomfortable. Dealer was tryin to move it on for £4500. Which one did I buy? :p

Last edited: 3 May 2012
    Bede likes this.
  6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

If you have some ddr3 in you current system, get that the current gpu in the new system soyou can start using it right away. Otherwise, take out of the box, admire, then replace. Patiance willow.... :)

7. Tigernos

Shall have to be the latter. I think. The old system is a core duo xp running thing, will all my shiny new hardware run with xp? I'm buying a copy of win7 next week along with the gpu and such

8. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

Yeah it should be fine with XP :)

9. Tigernos

REALLY! Well prepare for pictures of a frankensteins monster style cross of ivy bridge CPU and mobo coupled with xp 32 bit and 2Gb Generic Inc RAM. It's going to be horrific....

10. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

11. Tigernos

I hope that was directed at yourself. You told a complete newbie that his new build will work with substandard software during the wait for his upgrade.

I have no patience! Hahaha

12. Tigernos

I'm going to drag this thread back from page 3 of this forum because I know you guys dislike duplicate threads :)

So a lovely lady came to my door today and she had her hands on my package...... now for those of you who thought something rude, you are terrible people ;) it was the nice DPD lady with my new 3570K and i30 cooler.

So this happened:

And before anyone asks yes the CPU is under there... I swear I put it in before I mounted the cooler....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bit close on the dimms but I should be able to get normal RAM in there? Right?

[​IMG]

Thursday will see the ordering of the GPU and RAM and the completion of my first ever build.

I'M SO EXCITED.... cough....

13. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

nice, but i find it better to do it in one go

14. Tigernos

I would happily do it all at once if I had the money to buy all the parts all at once. As it stands I'm building it piecemeal and the end of the week should see it done :)

15. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

What direction does the i30 fan blow?

Pushes air through or pulls air through?

16. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Just run 8 while you are waiting :)

N17 dizzi likes this.
  17. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Pushes it out the back :)

18. Tigernos

It pulls air in on the fan side and blows through the heat sink. With the size of it if will be sitting right next to my rear exhaust fan so it should have a nice bit of airflow.

Also, squinting at it and at my case is raising questions on whether it will fit.... It's either going to be right up close to the side widow or it's not gonna fit and I'll have to get a bigger case. Haha

19. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Looking good so far! I wouldn't worry about the ram :)

20. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Fcuk ME! That cooler reminds me of the old AMD jobies!!