1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking First build complete. 3570K OC Figures on page 5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tigernos, 8 Apr 2012.

1. Edsterr

Edsterr What's a Dremel?

This looks brilliant. Anxious to see how the 3570k performs, heard it can get quite hot. Still debating whether to get it but with a better cooler, or get a 2500k

2. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

Question, what is current ambient temp? (To compare with the Core Temp readings)

3. Tigernos

Tigernos Resident Roman Soldier

I'll see if I can find a thermometer. It tends to be quite warm/hot in my house

Also, can anyone tell me how to get a stable connection to battlefield 3? I'm joining servers with 20-30 ping and yet I get kicked out after a few minutes saying "you connection timed out"

Last edited: 14 May 2012
  4. Tigernos

Here you go
    All stock running Prime95 ambient room temperature is 25 Celsius.

[​IMG]

Increased for 4GHz OC ambient temp still 25C

[​IMG]

Up to 4.3GHz, room temp still 25C

[​IMG]

This time 4.5GHz, room temp was 24C this time

[​IMG]

One thing I must say is that the i30 is a fantastic cooler for the price. There has been a lot of moaning about IB running way hotter than SB and while I have no doubt thats true (whether it be cheap solder or heat density or martians that cause it I don't really care) the i30 quite happily spun up to full speed and still couldn't be heard over the rest of my system case fans and kept the CPU at temperatures I can live with.

I won't be pushing it any further than 4.5GHz as it seems high enough and I set my limit temp wise at 80C so 76C on the hottest core is quite far enough for my tastes.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2012
  5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Good work there on the over clock:thumb:

I've not been able to play bf3 since re-installing it on a new drive. It just freezes after about a minute then bombs out completely. Bloody annoying as i haven't played in ages and want to blow some **** up!:wallbash:

6. Tigernos

Thats it for today, it's passed by 1am.

Tried to up it to 4.6GHz and it failed to boot so I went back to bios and tried 4.5GHz, it made it to windows desktop before BSOD and wouldnt start for me again. It just froze out even in the BIOS screens.

I've cleared CMOS and set the system back to defaults. It boots again and all is well.

I'll have another crack at 4.5+ tomorrow when I'm a bit more awake. I suspect I needed to up the voltages a little more than I had done and they may have been too low.

7. Tigernos

I've reused the ancient HDD from my old system, I may be having problems because it is old slow and just a bit naff.

120GB M4 is on the horizon though, when I have some cash.

8. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

Those are some pretty nice figures. I'll be getting the 3570k soon. Cooler is as of yet undecided. OC will hopefully be around 4.2GHz. Good to know that I'll be able to reach that at reasonable voltages and heat levels.

9. Tigernos

I fully recommend the Arctic i30. Silent even at speed (or at least I can't hear it over the case fans) and 4.3GHz OC with the hottest core at 70C.

If not go for a self contained CPU water loop to get better temps.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You lucky sod, my 3570k needs way more volts, just look at my current OC! Things will get interesting when my Performance Protection Plan kicks in...

Good job on your first build :) I moved to a M4 from my old Intel X25-M's, so snappy :)

11. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Nice OC Tigernos. I managed to get to 4.2 with setting the voltage to 1.130. Seems CPU-Z and HWMonitor are both telling me the CPU Voltage maxes out at 1.05 though even at full load under prime95 stress testing. Temps max out just around 60c. This is as high as I feel like going ATM. I feel like it's a good mix of voltage/temps/clock speed.

[​IMG]

12. Tigernos

Random month old thread bump. The OC figures are complete, finally did a proper 4.5GHz at the lowest voltages I could get to keep it stable.

Watch this space as once I get my U2412M I'll be showing FPS figures on various games and then OCing the GPU to see what I can squeeze out of it.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

So your final voltage isn't far off mine, not too bad then :) I haven't done my crazy OC due to intershipness... It will happen soon though...

14. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I had an i30 and i replaced it with a Phanteks PH-TC14PE and although the temps did improve it wasnt by nearly as much as I expected it really is a good cooler for the money.
    The only small criticism i have is its a bit of a faff putting the TIM on and they dont give you enough for if you make a mistake.

15. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Gratz on a good build my friend, i didn't build my system initially but did have rebuild when i changed cooler. Quite enjoyed it and will never pay someone else to build my system again. Even though the charge for the build was minimal anyway.

16. Tigernos

Downloaded the CPC benchmark suite. Figures incoming....

The image editing part of the benchmark suite seems to be throwing its entire process at one core. I've got one core at 100% load and the others at <5% that normal?

With the 4.5GHz on the CPU and no changes to the GPU I got

Results:

Image editing: 2000 points.
    Video encoding: 3624 points.
    Multitasking testing: 1345 points.
    Overall score: 2323 points.

Then I overclocked the GPU from its standard 732MHz clock and 950MHz memory clock to 950MHz GPU clock and 1100MHz memory clock.

Results:

Image editing: 2119 points.
    Video encoding: 3719 points.
    Multitasking testing: 1880 points.
    Overall score: 2562 points.

Downloaded Geekbench as well. Only ran the 32bit version as I'm not paying the full version.

Scored 11255

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/794689

My current setup is through a large 32" HDTV so I've had to play at some really weird resolutions, once I get my U2412M I'll do some more bench figures and see how they change.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2012
  17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

At 4.8GHz I managed to get 11600ish, so not too shabby at all :)

18. Tigernos

Just ordered my Dell U2412M. It arrives tuesday. I was so tempted to buy a GTX 670 instead but I need a decent monitor first haha.

19. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Bug has bitten there, nearly bought a 670.. your bank balance is bang in trouble!

20. Tigernos

Bitten? The bloody bug has eaten me!

Planned upgrades: GTX 670, Cosair 800D Case and I'm going to build a custom water loop too....

I'm screwed. I only finished building my sig rig in may.....