1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress SSR-X: Update - Bottom Cover Fiberglass Part 2/De-Mold

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cleveland216, 1 Jun 2011.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

SLI 480's was a bit of a large demand for cooling though, aren't they like the hottest GPU's ever or something. :D

Love your inventive creative no fear of a complex challenge spirit cleveland, it's awesome. :D:rock:

Totally know the feeling of going over set budget too but when it's going good & you have a good hunch you CAN do it but just needs more funds it's not likely at all to be scrapped but the kickass thing about DIYing it like this is I see it as a cheap but really effective practical education where you learn theory along the way rather than being bored to death with theory, you learn so much by throwing yourself into things, after a little research of course so you don't harm yourself. :D

But it must have hurt scrapping such expensive CF but the persistence let you make it awesome. :dremel:

I've been to college but it was mostly theory & practically no practical work so people were getting clued up on safety, something they could have covered in a day but nothing on actual useful skills so felt I was absolutely wasting my time there after a month & dropped out, I blame the suing culture for the overkill health & safety.

I'd like to use different materials but I'm kinda scared of CF splinters getting in & not coming out otherwise I'd love to do an incredible formed rig, I have got comfortable with aluminium & acrylic, damn health & safety brain wash in effect. :hehe:

I'm definitely puzzled why no one sponsored you, this is amazing & well beyond normal modding.

It's looking really nice in the sunlight too mate. :jawdrop::clap:
    Glad you restrained from showing the full thing, will look all the more awesome when you unveil it. :D:rock:

2. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Thanks. Should be done real soon.

A challenge it was. It so different of a build in terms of design that it can be hard to put it next to other mods to be judged because it doesn't hold to the standard rectangular shape of most mods. As far as the health hazards, carbon fiber will not kill you. It is no more dangerous than aluminium or acrylic. Carbon fiber does get you ultra dirty, but don't be scared of it. I know alot of people go around cursing the material down like you will get cancer, though, if you go to China and breathe the air you are more likely to get cancer.

I really would love to do a workshop at one of the industry shows about resin infusion with composite materials. It would get the companies interested along with people in the community interested and hands-on more with composite materials. In a way, composite materials should be one of the main front runners in the future of modding. I hope it doesn't take another decade to really catch on. Composite materials have some awesome properties to it...lets take carbon fiber again, not only is it super strong but it also dissipates heat. So maybe this whole case will help in the cooling effect, I guess we will see.

3. Cleveland216

Correction:

I need to make a correction to the list of mods that used Carbon Fiber, because I forgot one.

The build was Diablo Azul by pcjunkie209. He used blue carbon fiber weave to make a entire case cover for his mod. Classic use of the vacuum bagging method. Here is the link:

http://forum.coolermaster.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=14766

4. Cleveland216

There is also Project Nautilus by Lenne0815. Another instance of Vacuum Bagging employed.

I also know that there is another mod out there on this forum logged recently that used carbon fiber??. I'm trying to make a "complete" list of builds and case mods out there that have used Carbon Fiber to some extent. A small piece really doesn't count. Help would be greatly appreciated:clap::thumb:

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

6. yoishiro

yoishiro What's a Dremel?

the diablo azul is another aproach of a carbon fiber case , but i dont consider it a "Carbon Fiber PC case" carbon fiber is not the structure of the case in that build , it was more of a cover for the frame he did ... was alot of work and kinda pricey i bet , that hybrid fiberglass colored is expensive

the one from Lenne is the right way to do it ;) a mould and the infusion , same as this one SSRX wich i loved the dedication , pasion and curiosity .

u forgot mcp or something like that , with his carbon fiber big box , ametheros or something like that , but he is MAI too , but he showed the base of the case and some other stuff , water jet cuttings and all . was pretty cool

welcome to the Composites world :D now u are hooked on and want to do everything carbonfiber , CNC to make your own moulds ... keyboard , monitor stand , headphoe stands ... u will get all those ideas :D everyone does , but what could set u apart ... is the idea made reality and brag about it on the net :p and who knows , maybe a side business to make some money on the weekends too :)

im trying to build a case , but more of a functional rather than experimental one , a normal case to put it in simple words

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

its the base design , still need to create the Optical bay , the front of the case , and the power button . wich right now im testing a touch sensitive option , want it to keep it simple

sorry to hijack your post , but just wanted to show u that there are people in the background that do/plan to do composite cases , u wont be waiting a decade to see it , belive it :)

7. Cleveland216

ahhh, yes carbo flow is the one I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help creating the list of "carbon fiber" cases.

Haha, I wouldn't say I am hooked to the composites world. It is a different material with a variety of options to make new material on the horizon to mod/fabricate with. The biggest drawback and this has been around for a long time is COST! I really should caution you on this. Mistakes are expensive and if your looking for a great product finish you better really have your process Nailed down. The design of the cases look great. Though, you will likely have alot of waste product I see. There even maybe people who buy your waste product if it is big enough.

What method are you going to use to make your CF?? I'm still believing that a decade it maybe before another is completed. Hope to be proven wrong. Also you should hit up composites central forum, alot of help and knowledge over there.

8. yoishiro

yoishiro What's a Dremel?

im gonna tell u a secret .... most carbon fiber parts , the ones from cars and stuff , the cheap ones , are made of one layer of carbon fiber and the others , weaved fiber glass ... i bought 10 yards x 60" for like 400$ and 10yards x 60" weaved fiber glass for 40$

the carbon fiber yard where i get it is like 25$ , the x60" one , and the more i order , i can lower it to 20$ per yard :)

i know it cost , but what really cost isnt the carbon fiber itself , its the time and process to make the actual part . lines , peelply , feeders , breeders , spreader , tape , bag and the time to make the part , some of those parts arent reusable , so u have to keep supplying them , ooh and i forgot the most important part of all , the Epoxy ... its what gonna decide if your part will look at the end , if u want your part at the 4th month to look yellowish , buy the cheapest polyester resin, if u want good part that will last and its as transparent as can be . buy Epoxy resin , i use West Sistem epoxy :)

9. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Knight's Rest has carbon fiber inner armor panels. Nothing visible when the build is complete, though.

10. Cleveland216

That is the truth. Time and process!!! I wouldn't even want to imagine what it would cost to pay someone to do this. Though, in my opinion, if you do that you are not modding, to which I would think we all agree.

Your correct the small supplies do add up quickly. Epoxy Resin can be very tricky to find the right one. I looked at West System and I am not sold on their brand. The cost versus specification doesn't always yield a good part. It is not a brand I would recommend. I think you have to go over to composites central and see what people are using and saying about the different resins. Some resins can be extremely expensive.

Also remember the thicker the part the more resin you need. In the infusion process, not vac bagging process, if you do it, make sure you put down a got clear coat first in the mold followed by your CF. That also helps in protecting the resin against UV, in case, you are using cheap resin.

I'll have to go over and check it out. Thanks for the help.

11. Cleveland216

Completion

Final Photo's!

Thanks to: All the people and fans of the build who supported the build. The Tri-Weld company and welding the various components of the case. Biro Sales for letting me build and build over the years. Forum people over at Composite Central for all their insight. E.E.L. for selling me a pump at the last minute when my died. The Mod-Gods and Jesus 'cause I never thought this build could be done by one person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more still to come.

Waynio likes this.
  12. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Can't wait for the "more still to come"... Looks fantastic

13. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Holy. SH*T.

:jawdrop:

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Indeed :D:thumb:

You never thought it could be done by 1 person but you are awesome whether you know it or not & at least had a feeling you could do it which driven you on to do it & you done it amazingly good without resorting to spending money for others to do it & not gaining the skills, you levelled up a good few & become a mightier modder. :D:rock:

Looks fantastically badass, :D most go for an easier challenge when doing CF, not you, difficult geometry, you like the challenge & you got it right & sir, you smashed it through the galaxy, congratulations dude. :rock::clap::dremel:

Don't forget the shots of it on your motor too, want to see your motor with wings. :D

:D Really looks saaaaaweeeeeeeeeet, congratulations, look forward to seeing the other shots too. :jawdrop::clap::rock:

15. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Yay, it is finished. :D

Looks so cool.

16. Cleveland216

More Photo's

Interior Photo's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]