1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress SSR-X: Update - Bottom Cover Fiberglass Part 2/De-Mold

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cleveland216, 1 Jun 2011.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Mod on :D:rock: that's a nice load of excellent touches. :clap:

BTW I'm not on facebook :( I've seen how addicted some get on it so I'm scared of it. :hehe:

2. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

I still have volumes to do in work for the case. I have to go back and re-sand all the brackets Aluminium and Carbon Fiber ones. Than decide if they really fit the build. If not, I will have to re-make the brackets.

If a piece of hardware or part of the internal frame does not function with the overall design, than that part will have to be re-designed and re-fabricated.

I only do like 50% of the original that needs to be. Alot of modders make the part to near completion, while I do not. Just the way I build.

Well that is super duper uuummm, I don't blame you for not being on facebook.

3. Cleveland216

Real World Implementation

[​IMG]

Currently, I am designing the necessary mounting and brackets for turning SSR-X into a real-world drone aeroplane.

As you can see above this is a Jet Turbine engine that is built for R/C models. Offered by JetCat USA, there top model offers 56lbs of thrust. More on this later.

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:eeek::jawdrop::rock: Wow, I'd love to see one in action. :D

Makes good sense to go 50% in while deciding if parts are right or not, I should do the same. :)

5. Cleveland216

The main covering's of the airframe would have to be re-infused. Why? When an airframe is traveling at a high velocity it starts to build and retain heat from the friction caused by the atomsphere.

A aeronautics designer would want to combat this. In the case of my design, the infusion resin would have be specially blended because it will start to de-stabilize at 200F. Thus a graphite powder could be mixed in with the resin to compensate for this heat build up.

I would also want to add in titanium foil as originally stated in the first post of this log. Titanium would keep the airframe and its subsequent carbon fiber/graphite hybrid composite stable under high aerodynamics loads and heat flux. As stated in numerous white papers on Low Observable Aircraft, graphite and titanium are used in reducing the radar signature of airframes.

People must not forget that the flight paths are there relations to the known radar sites are taken into great account to provide the maximum in evading radar.

This airframe is designed for being a Low Observable platform, or at least that is what I am planning on.

6. Cleveland216

Update

Hello. I had a bit of a design disaster today with the power supply.

[​IMG]

I was making this bracket for the power supply and I found out that I made it in the wrong direction:duh:. The whole bracket is now in the trash bin. Time for something different.

The power supply with still be mounted outside its original casing. I am still figuring out the exacting bracketing that will go around it, though, I'm still holding true to my fan placement, which, has in turn, led me to another cool design and fab. procedure.

[​IMG]

The front bulkhead wall was notched to let the main power connecter and various vid cards connector come through. Also the modular board and its cabling came through as well. I need to mount and secure this board down.

[​IMG]

Broke out some scrap carbon fiber and did some tracing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the end, I came up with this mount for the modular connection board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also cut-out the hole for the 80mm exhaust fan. The edges on this still have to be filed and cleaned.

[​IMG]

Top down view. Now I need to mount the 120mm fan and subsequent bracketing for the power supply.

That't it for today.

7. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

Damn nice.
    Good progress, nice work. It's going to be so awesome!!!!
    :clap:

8. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

First time viewing this log and man this build is epic, also that vacuum moulding is very cool. Hope you've got a big room to fit it in :). Keep up the amazing work :thumb:

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Coming along excellent. :)

10. Cleveland216

Update

Hello. Update!

[​IMG]

Designed a new bracket assembly for the power supply. Began to cut out the pieces needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 frames pieces to hold the power supply in position. I love this new design in having the power supply itself out in the open surrounded by a cage. I could have gone with more frames, though, I wanted to keep the weight down. The Cage will also prevent people from getting electrocuted by placing their hand on the power supply, this will likely never happen, just another feature to this design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the 120mm fan just sitting in location

[​IMG]

Notching out for the support bracket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This piece is acrylic, it looks like aluminium for some reason.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The frame with the support brackets by itself and the power supply in the frame without the fan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Power Supply frame assembly sitting in its location between the bulkheads. Looks awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bracket for the fan. This piece will be glued down the frame pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moved onto the support bracket for the video card brackets.

[​IMG]

here it is in location next to the motherboard.

Hope you all are enjoying.

11. Cleveland216

Thanks!

Well, you have missed out on alot! Thanks for taking the time to read the log over. Thanks for the support!!:clap:

Thank you! I'm trying.....

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I can't nit pick at anything on this so can just say nice work keep it up etc :hehe: awesome project, awesome creating. :rock:

13. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

So what the hack is this??? Case mod or RC Plane ???

14. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

BOTH? :D and its facking awesome that's what it is :D

15. Cleveland216

Are you sure??!!:idea: As always thanks for the support! There will be an update hopefully by the weekend. Had to take Aelro apart to get the video cards and power supply that I will be using out.

More case mod than RC plane. I got the RC side all figured out though.

Yup, kinda of?! :worried: It is awesome....thanks for the support.

16. Cleveland216

Update

Hello.

I have come to the point in my build where I need the video cards that I will be using along with the power supply to correctly fabricate and continue on with my build. Since not getting any sponsorship yet, I have had to resort to dismantling Aelro to attain the parts I need.

The good part is since Aelro is such a enclosed water-cooled system time to see how it is holding up to dust collection.

[​IMG]

Brought it in on cart and put it on the bench.

[​IMG]

The video cards are EVGA 480GTX SSC's. I love and stand by EVGA products. They have great build quality and their customer service is great in my experience.

[​IMG]

Stood Aelro on end to drain the water out.

[​IMG]

Out with Hard Drives/SSD's.

[​IMG]

Disconnecting the reservoir to begin first part of the drain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With some rotating into different positions got all of the water out.

[​IMG]

Took out the video cards, now I need to take off the motherboard

[​IMG]

done

[​IMG]

Cut the one line because it was being a pain to get it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thermaltake ToughPower 1200w. Thermaltake is a brand and manufacture that I stand behind. I believe they are the standard to beat for power supply's. I have three of them, 480, 850, 1200 and they have never failed or given me an issue once. Cudo's to ThermalTake. This power supply with get completely re-sleeved.

[​IMG]

Ahh, the radiator compartments. The radiators had little dust in them, which meant that the Air-Flow was good. Channeled Air Flow in a computer case is looking like it works more and more. In case of the Aelro build, the radiators could not properly offload all the heat. Will SSR-X be able too????

[​IMG]

Aelro is reborn. I went to McMasterCarr and bought some new Blue tubing-tygon quality. This tubing looks and feels awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With Thermaltake 850W taken from Triphane and an EVGA 520 bought from Microcenter, I was able to put Aelro back together. That is how I am writing this log as I type.

The blue tubing has me all interested now in doing a colored look for SSR-X. Well I'm picking up on SSR-X tomorrow.

Until Than

17. Ragequit

Ragequit What's a Dremel?

Hold up. You're making a flying computer?! NICE!

Looking at the picture of your truck, it looked like the shape was something along the lines of the "flying wing" stealth bomber planes, if i remember correctly they need advanced computers correcting the plane continously just to keep it in the air.

But i'm guessing you've got that covered!

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Aelro, Another awesome rig dude :D shame you had to salvage parts from it though, I'd have thought sponsors would have liked to be a part of an awesome project like this, did you contact any?.

19. Cleveland216

Update

Hello.

Started to work on the video card bracket assembly today. Last night I was hit with a thought; Can carbon fiber be bent if one applied heat to it???? I didn't know and I haven't seen anyone try it. If I could bend a piece of carbon fiber than I could use a piece to brace the 2 end pieces together.

Time to experiment........

[​IMG]

I cut a piece of carbon fiber 20mm by like 280mm

[​IMG]

I'll be using a soldering iron to heat up the carbon fiber so to bend it.

[​IMG]
    '
    [​IMG]

I very lightly touched the soldering iron to the carbon fiber and begun to bend the piece

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After holding it for about 30 secs and dipping it in cold water the shape of the bend held.

IT WORKS!!!! This is awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilled some holes and put in some binding post to bind the two together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cut out and bent another piece of carbon fiber though this time this piece was smaller in width due to clearance with the video card. I also begun notching through the main support for the video cards.

More work tomorrow.

20. Cleveland216

Ya, it was shame!! I'm glad cuz Aelro is alot lighter in weight now! I have to do what I have to as a Modder....and I did send out emails to various companies but got no response. :confused: Back to modding!!!!!!!!!