1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics [OC Tool] – Nv GPU Pro - GoodBytes's advance automated graphic card OC software

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodBytes, 30 Aug 2012.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Hello everyone!
    I am super exited to present my little cool software that I have worked on for you guys. This software is designed for Nvidia GeForce and Quadro card, but can work with other cards, as it supports the ability to use your own overclock software. This is not spam, I think everyone knows me, and how I try to help everyone. Anyway,

Overview
    This non-intrusive software monitors what you are running, and with the help of a community supported games and application database (catalog, if you will); it adjust your graphic card performance based on profiles you set (default is High Performance (normal graphic card speed)). Moreover, it is packed with features and options to adjust the behavior of the program to your needs, create and customize as many graphic card profiles you want. Support Origin and Steam games also.

[​IMG]

Examples on how Nv GPU Pro can benefit you:

1- You can set Nv GPU Pro, so that when you are on your desktop browsing the web or folders, playing videos, basically nothing intensive for your graphic card, you can force it to stay at minimum speed. But when you play a game, you want the graphic card to go at normal speed. However, for Crysis 2 (or wtv other set games), you want to use your own overclock profile. Nv GPU Pro will control all that for you automatically. You just run your games, and Nv GPU Pro will adjust the graphic card frequencies accordingly.

This helps keeping your computer stay cool and quiet when performance is not needed, however not impact your games. Plus it helps you save power, by only having your graphic card overclock on the needed games or applications.

2- You want to extend the battery life of your laptop, Nv GPU Pro allows you to do the following:
    • Force the graphic card at minimum speed when on battery.
    • Set Windows power plan to ‘Power Saver’ (or which power plan you want) on battery automatically.
    • Set Windows power plan to ‘Balance’ (or which one you want) when plugged in automatically.
    • When an external monitor is connected, set the GPU at normal speed to have the performance needed to drive it. (Good for low end laptop graphic cards)
    • When playing all or some games, have your GPU set to normal frequencies or overclock
    The above should help battery life by forcing the graphic card at minimum speed when on battery at all times. So even moving a window let’s say, or play a video, won’t have your graphic card consume really more power. And not impact the performance of your system when needed.

3- Extended play on your laptop. Going on a trip? Want to play games for longer period of time than normal? Well what you can do with Nv GPU Pro, is you can create a med way performance profile for your graphic card, which you balance your game settings for playable settings. This will help you extend your gaming session on the go, all by having the game still playable.

4- Need extreme quietness from your computer? As the Nvidia graphic card fan don’t go below 40% no matter how cool they are, you can have Nv GPU Pro slow down to fan down to 30%, which will help reduce noise, and when you game restore everything to normal to not impact your system. If your graphic card ever start heating up a bit too much, Nv GPU Pro will set your GPU fan to automatic (temperature control), and once it cools down, restore to your settings.

How it works?

This software is made of 2 programs:

The first program is the monitoring software which does all the work in controlling your graphic card. It sits on the background, and has a status panel which informs you which profile it is using, and which program is using your graphic card that requires it to boost your graphic card performance. For laptops, it also shows you the battery life, to help you reduce icons next to the clock. By default, it uses Nvidia System Tools to control your graphic card performance.

The second program is the management panel which allows you to add missing games and applications to the community supported database to share with everyone else (you can also add them as private, where the program will not send to the server your entry).
    The interface is simple, easy to use, and follows Windows look and feel.

It was designed to be non-intrusive, you won’t feel it running. Also, it DOES NOT require User Account Control permission to work. :D

In addition, the monitoring software continuously monitors your GPU temperature, and will temporally throttle your graphic card performance if overheating occurs. Once the GPU is cool enough, it will clock it back to settings you defined. This system will help avoid system crash during your gaming session.

Additional Benefits
    While it uses Nvidia System Tools to control your graphic card performance. I do know that some of you like to do some more serious overclocking. Well, Nv GPU Pro can be configured to use the overclock software of your choice instead. It offers a variety of communication method, including emulating a keyboard shortcut for you, to switch between profiles.

Want to overclock your CPU as well? Well no problem! Nv GPU Pro allows you set, for every graphic card profile, a way to control additional overclock software.

It supports Windows Vista, 7 and 8 both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Ok so my little software is pretty big, it’s been over a year and half in the works, and I still got plenty of ideas to do, and I also want your feedback and suggestions to make this software even better.

Two editions

Nv GPU Pro has 2 editions. Free (Basic) one, and Nv GPU Pro Premium ($15 US). Both are the same, however the Basic edition, has some feature disabled. I pick them carefully to not or try to not impair the experience, and have you guys have plenty of time to test the software. If you enjoy it, and want to support it, go ahead go Premium, and tell your friends about it. Also, the Premium edition follows a per user license, so you can get the premium for your desktop and laptop just fine, pay once. Also, you have free upgrades within the same major version (for example: 1.0 Build 80 will be free. Same as 1.5 Build 22, but version 2.x is not.). I think we can agree it's a very fair pricing.​

Announcements
    For those who were willing to try my early development build of my software, please PM me, and I’ll give you the Premium license for free, as a big thanks for your help. The software has immensely improved since, I think you'll all enjoy it.​

*** CONTEST/PRIZES ***
    Sorry, no contest or prizes right now.
    Last contest ended - October 1st.

Download:

Hope you guys will enjoy it. :thumb:

This is my first release, and my first full scale software of this size done alone. Sorry for any hiccups on the site and potential software bugs. Please let me know about any issues, and please be patient.

Last edited: 24 Nov 2012
    Guest-16, lancer778544 and Blogins like this.
  2. GoodBytes

- This post is reserved -

3. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

Oooooh! Wish i had nvidia now just to try this Goodbytes!!!

4. GoodBytes

Yea, sorry, I don't have any AMD card to develop my software for it.

However, you could use an AMD supported GPU overclocking software with Nv GPU Pro, although some features, such as overheating protection system, won't work (as it can't get the temperature).

Last edited: 3 Sep 2012
  5. Zehetmayr

Zehetmayr Minimodder

Excellent stuff Goodbytes! Looking forward to trying this when I get home form work.

6. GoodBytes

New Version

Version: 1.0 Build 21
    • NEW [Management Panel] Extended help menu.
    • UPDATE [Management Panel] Menu position adjustment.
    • UPDATE [Monitor Panel] New icon for Smart Switch technology.
    • FIXED [Setting Panel] The Premium gold card does not disappear in the setting panel at the audio feedback section, when the user already purchased the Premium membership.
    • FIXED [Monitor Panel] When the system tray icon is set to show the system battery information, the profile icon does not change in the panel.
    • FIXED [Monitor Panel] Improved the power plug icon visuals.
    • FIXED [Startup Wizard] On the login screen, under certain combination of situations, the program will fall into a loop where it continuously checks if the user name and password is correct.
    • FIXED [Global] Aero enabled and Windows 8 only - Text boxes doesn't highlight properly.

Download: http://nvgpupro.com/download.php

7. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Looks awesome, good luck with your project.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Superb GoodBytes! :thumb:

PM inbound, I want to try this on my D630 to see if it can curve my Quadro temperatures.

9. Virus44

Virus44 What's a Dremel?

You said that the premium version is free to bit-tech members how would i obtain it ?

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Announcement
    For those who were willing to try my early development build of my software, please PM me, and I’ll give you the Premium license for free, as a big thanks for your help. The software has immensely improved since, I think you'll all enjoy it.
    SPECIAL OFFER – Intro price!
    Until October 1st, get Nv GPU Pro Premium for only 5$ instead of 15$ (prices are in U.S).
    *** CONTEST ***
    This applies to Bit-Tech.net forum users only!
    You can get my awesome software, Premium, for free simply by:
    Must have at least 5 posts on the Bit-tech.net best forum in the universe.
    Submit 15 or more original games or applications entries to Nv GPU Pro community supported games and application (beside web browsers and video players (else its too easy.. beside games is what is more important)). You do this in Nv GPU Pro software. It's really easy to do.
    Post on my forum under the feedback section, how you like my software.
    Simply use the same user name as on Bit-tech forum (so that I can find you), when you create your Nv GPU Pro account. This account is needed for submitting entries to the database, posting on the forum, for license of the Premium version and moderation purposes.

But wait!
    Submit 25 or more original entries, and one of your friends of your choosing get the Premium edition as well!

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just gave it a go and it works very well. Limited my D630 Quadro to 100MHz for the most part! :thumb:

Only $5 guys, just as well fire the money GoodBytes way. I intend to next week after having a good play with the free edition.

12. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I'm going to take it for a spin.

13. GoodBytes

Sorry for not being clear.
    What I meant is that, there was a select number of people that they had a problem with their system, where my software could help. However, my software at the time, was in early development (alpha.. half the features didn't work, super buggy). I offer them to test my software, considering that it was an alpha version of my software. Those who was courage enough to agreed, I offer them a free upgrade to the Premium version, as for most of them, they provided me with lots of feedback and testing results which help me made my software more robust, fix lots of bugs, and better. Without them, I don't think the software would have been that good in quality. And for their time and patience, I give them the Premium version, as a thank you. I think it's the least I could do.

However, because you guys at bit-tech.net are awesome, and the staff at bit-tech.net is equally awesome. AND, because the idea of my software is that you don't need to spend time starting to add your all your games (also, to save you a headache if you have another PC with games on, or you re-install/upgrade Windows), it uses a community supported database (catalog) of games. So that once it's in, everyone else has it, so that means, you won't need to add it twice. However, as I don't have all the games in the world, I can't have this magically up-to-date database., I need your help, especially at the early stage of my software where there is just so few games. So as I know that you guys have lots of games, and that while I did my best to make the process easiest as possible, and fast, that it still takes time. For your time adding your games, I decided to pull a contest, to encourage people to submit their games, in exchange of getting the full version of their software for free. Considering that you only need 15 games to get a currently 5$ software... that's 0.20$ per game, or a dollar per game entered, if you assume original price. I think it's a great deal for a ~2sec thing to do per game.

All you have to do, is at any time (before October 1st), PM me your Nv GPU Pro account user name, so that I can see that you are a bit-tech member, and know who you are, so that I can give you the Premium version of Nv GPU Pro.

14. Deders

Deders Modder

Just wondering what kind of things the Database takes into account when configuring the setting for the game.

15. GoodBytes

A very good question.

Actually, for this first version it does not consider your hardware specs.
    Right now, it ASSUMES that, if you add a game or application to the database, it's because it needs power from your graphic card, and I verify that at moderation. What I mean is if you submit “Windows Calculator” because you try to be funny, at moderation, assuming I approve it, I can see it clearly that does not need your graphic card to run, beside Aero, so it gets set to "Power Saver" as default profile.
    A better system which I have on paper is to build a relationship database, which looks at the profile graphic card frequencies of the entries and graphic card, and set as default, what other users have. So in other words, let's say a bunch of people that have a GTX 780, and they can run Crysis 2 at 120fps, at max settings, all by having their graphic card settings at minimum speed. While you, and others that have a GTX 480 can only play the game at max performance (or overclock). In such case, it would set the GTX 780 users to "Power Saver" profile by default for this game, and those with older cards to "High Performance" profile, as this is what most users set. The above mentioned system works with a voting process and average system to get the, most likely, correct settings.
    The problem with the above system is that it would only work well if I have lots of users. If you are the sole user of my software with a GTX 480 let’s say, and decides to play all yours game at minimum setting, and set your "High Performance" profile to minimum speed, well you are skewing the system, and a new user that uses my software, with a GTX 480, will start having fun changing the default graphic card profile to “High Performance” for the games you added. And then he will be pissed, especially if you have lots of games that you added, and then he will simply uninstall my software.
    So while my current system is not great, I trust my users. I currently have no choice due to the low number of users. Plus, it will give me more time to perfect the system on paper.

16. Virus44

Virus44 What's a Dremel?

I will pm you now with my nv gpu pro username which happens to be the same as my forum username btw :D and i will add some games to the list :thumb:

17. Deders

Deders Modder

Something I've noticed recently that may be useful to know.

I recently stayed in a house that had a elec meter so not wanting to put too much load on it I started playing classic games like Homeworld and Grim Fandango, which to my surprise didn't need my card to clock from desktop clocks up to play, so whilst playing these games my 560TI's GPU was at 50MHz, and it's Mem was at 135MHz. So my system only pulls about 120W when playing these games (whilst overclocked, stock speeds would be about 50w less).

Now I think about it it makes sense as the cards at the time were also around those frequencies.

One thing I did notice was that when I started amassing ships in Homeworld (I pretty much salvaged every ship I could, got ridiculous at one point when I had about 200 ships, over 150 of which were lined up on one side of the mothership at the beginning and end of the levels :naughty:) but even before I'd gotten to that point, if there was a lot on screen the GPU/Mem would clock up to 400/324 to compensate (same frequencies it uses when playing media).

Don't get me wrong I can see why your app would be very useful for certain situations, especially with those of us who can't always afford the latest tech, and for situations like this so you can get more direct control over what the driver assumes to be the right settings.

18. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

This reminds me of the trick to capture all the ships in the laser frigate net. Took me hours and hours but I did capture them all which made the final stages a breeze! Think Homeworld could have done with a little 'balance'! :D

19. Deders

Deders Modder

Yeah, pretty much what I did, This time round was the only time that the next level would actually load with that many ships in line. Some of them were so far away that they hadn't even reached the mothership by the time I'd finished a level.

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I probably won't use it as it doesn't seem to play nice with afterburner, but it's a good idea and I'll submit as many games/apps as I can [that i think are worth submitting ofc]

GoodBytes likes this.