1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I can heartily recommend a 106GTI/Saxo VTS/106 Rallye; I love my Rallye to bits and will never sell it, with a GTI engine is just as quick as a 182, and absolutely hilarious to throw around a B-road. Much more mechanical feeling than the Clio as well, with its cable throttle and unassisted steering.

Other cars? Well a DC2 Integra is always a good buy, but they're pretty hard to find in decent condition and rust is the enemy on them. 205 1.9 GTI? They're getting to be appreciators now, find a good one I guarantee you can't lose a penny on them.

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I remember driving a 1.6 directly after a 1.9 at a meet of fellow hot hatch nuts many years ago. The 1.9 was undoubtedly more torquey but the 1.6 seemed to rev up more freely and the handling was noticeably different, and imho better.

Both still beautiful cars though, and a well looked after model (lol) will give you many more miles of fun.

3. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

+1 for the 205gti fantastic cars if a little noisy.

4. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Didn't go for the AE86 in the end, decided to wait till I can find a mint Trueno panda color model.

But brought this instead, currently 590bhp @ the wheels, gonna get it up to 800

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

That car and a full tank of fuel? Win!

6. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Don't think it comes out the pump fast enough to fill it to the brim.

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Pretty much that.
    My mate has a GTR32 that hits ~500WHP.
    That thing gets ~200-250km on a tank.

8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I don't really like the styling, but then the stock R32 doesn't really look that nice either.

Must be a scary thing to drive!

9. lysaer

It's an r33, I'd do away with the do - luck body kit and tone it down a little

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

10. Arthur

Arthur It's for 'erberts !

This is my current motor

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Was about to mention that it looked more like an R33 or an R34 to me, but I am no expert on Skylines. Don't really like them much (though they are technical masterpieces).
    Them wheels are nice, though. Not sure about the colour, but what make/model are they?

12. Krikkit

I reckon they're Rays Volk TE37's. I like Skylines, but that one's a bit much for my tastes!

[​IMG]

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Looks about right. Thanks, Krikkit.

14. lysaer

Yeah I'm not a fan of the do-luck body kit but apparently they are gold dust so gonna sell it on, I'll keep the nismo carbon bonnet and boot unless i can find a nicer plain looking one.

I prefer my cars to keep a standard look, should be picking the car up 1st of October as it's going straight into the garage for some work. Dropping in an R34 gearbox conversion.

It has some seriously nice trick bits on it like the front brakes are the carbon ceramic 8 pot brakes from a Ferrari Enzo which have been specially fitted. It's also running a full Hks camp 2 system with the nismo LCD dash.

The engine was built by a company in Japan called auto select they also did a ton of other bits like their own suspension kit, all thier own lower arms, bushes, brake master cylinder, piping, radiator.

It's got pretty baby turbos on it at the mo think Hks 2530s which is a very common Street turbo in Japan, I'd probably consider upping the power to 700 ish so would need to change these, they are fairly maxed out at 600 bhp.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

15. Krikkit

Looks like an awesome car, sounds like you got a bargain to me! (I found the sale advert :p) Not sure they're Enzo calipers (the only pictures I can find look slightly different in the sliders), but who needs to brandish the big F when you can say 8-pot Brembos on 380mm floating discs? :D

p.s. Someone needs to teach them to spell/actually check their cars. "Full carbon carnard" - no canards fitted in those pics.

16. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I think it does from memory, thing is in the garage at moment. I think they only used a heat exchanger on them. I cant honestly remember if the petrol one does. Garage have admitted they messed up it sounds like a head gasket though, i didnt test the heating its too warm but had the lovely mayo on the dipstick. Im giving them a chance to fix it but if they start messing me about ill be seeing about getting it moved to a VAG dealer at cost to them.

17. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Car's in the garage at the mo (BMW 320d), exhaust was blowing at the front where the flexi is and it failed its MOT because of it. Unfortunately it was too big a job to do with my limited tools on the side of the road, so had to go in. Pity my MOT was due just before I move back home on the 16th where I could have done the job myself.

Cheapest quote for the job came out at £200 (it's a one part piece at the front including CAT), but garage phoned yesterday to say a bolt had sheared where it connects to the turbo, so they had to take the turbo out and send it to a machine shop to get the sheared bolt drilled out....

Bit worried what the labour costs are going to amount to now! Should I expect the garage who was doing the work to take some responsibility and not charge full labour costs? If they don't it could run well past the £500 mark with £40-60 p/h on labour alone.

18. Krikkit

Generally a garage will charge for stuck fasteners unless it's their mistake for breaking them - they can't really be expected to work for free with stuck/corroded bolts. So unfortunately the chances are pretty good your bill will be quite large!

Sounds like a bloody stupid design, what year is it?

19. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Yeah deep down I know that, just difficult to stomach at the moment, as I've just finished my university courses and looking for a job, with a new born baby, so money is extremely tight. This was just an expense that has come at completely the wrong time.

They explained the reasons behind why is sheared, basically it was a little corroded (not surprising given the constant heating and cooling of the turbo/exhaust), and there was limited space to work in, so couldn't get some heat on it to make things easier.

It's a 52 plate, and yeah it's a silly design. Why the flexi section isn't a separate bolt on piece is beyond me given that it's an obvious weak point in the exhaust system. If the new MOT regs hadn't have come in prohibiting the removal of the CAT on diesel cars I would have replaced this piece with a straight pipe which doesn't have a flexi section to prevent similar failure in the future, whilst reducing stain on the turbo and giving a slight performance boost to boot.

Doing the math in my head. The original job was going to take 1-1.5hrs. Add on the time to remove the turbo, another hour or two. Machine shop bill + re-fitting of turbo and getting the new pipe on there. Could easily be 6-8hrs of labour @ ~ £50/hr = £300-400 (they might well charge £60/hr though) + £50-100 for the machine shop bill + ~£100 for the new exhaust pipe. I'm going to estimate it's going to set me back between £500-700, possibly plus VAT.

If the MOT was due even a week later I could have saved all but the price of the part. Sure a sheared bolt would have been a pain, but it's something I've had plenty of experience with working on 30y/o tractors on my dad's farm. Drilling them out is not a huge deal. :wallbash:

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Couldn't you get a custom bit of exhaust knocked up?

BCS automotive exhausts are always willing to do odd stuff for FRS owners, so they might be able to help you with your weird exhaust layout.

Probably wouldn't be cheap, but might make life easier in the long run if you intend to keep the car.