1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Steam OS (Downloadable now), Machines, Controller

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by rici1241, 23 Sep 2013.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So what end of the gap would you place it at ? K+M being the best and gamepad being the worst, I do agree given the choice K+M is best for FPS, but this combo is not suited for TV+sofa play, while gamepads are ideal for playing from the sofa but suck when dealing with 1 to 1 input.

Also as the control pads are configurable unlike a trackpad on a laptop, im guessing you could setup what ever resolution, acceleration, mappings, zones, etc, you want.

I thought that's what i said :( either way if the developer makes a good financial case in the same way business give reason for investors to put money into their new idea then the investor will give them the money. Kinda dragons den type scenario :hehe:

Last edited: 13 Oct 2013
  2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Yup.

I'd also like to add that IMO, fps games aren't really sofa games, so that's why I would always put K/M infront of anything for fps games.

GTA style games are fine for controllers though, but I can already play them fine with the PS and xbox controller, I still suck at aiming, but with auto-aim it's not too much of a problem, :D

I also have no problems with driving games with the current gamepads, so really, to me, the steam controller would only really be useful for strategy based stuff and controlling the OS I suppose.
    I'm not a sofa gamer though, so it doesn't really apply to me anyway, :D

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not sure many people don't know what the whole Steam OS, Machine and controller are about.

But just in case you have been living under a rock for the last few months, or just want to watch what i found to be a good synopsis of the whole thing...

4. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

Thanks for that video Corky42. Very enjoyable.

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

That was a great video and a good synopsis of the whole thing - thanks for posting!

I still think that the Library Sharing they are suggesting is too restrictive. I don't see why sharing could not be at game level. If someone in my 'family' wants to play one of my games, then it seems silly that to play that one game, my whole library is locked. The game should be locked of course, but not the whole library - doesn't make sense.

6. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

I think it does make sense. Imagine if it weren't like that, and only the game you're playing gets locked: everyone and their mum would set up a family group with their friends and play each other's games all the time == less games sold on Steam == Valve not happy.

I'm currently using the family sharing feature and it does the job perfectly. It mainly replaces having to log in and out of different computers if someone wants to play a game.

7. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Yes, I can see the marketing worry behind it. However, if one of my daughters wants to play a Lego game, and the other draw with ArtRage on the laptops, it means they can't do it and even if one of them wins the resultant fight, it means my whole library is locked while they doing it and I can't play anything.

I may as well just log them into my steam account on the laptop. This feature, as it stands does not give anything that I can't already do.

Sure, at game level I can add my friends to 'my family' but if we wanted to play the game together, we would need to buy multiple copies.

Basically I think this feature is marketing spin and is made to look like something it isn't. At some stage it would be good to have several steam boxes around the house sharing a family library, if this were to work though they definitely would need to lock at 'game' level as at library level it would be useless.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

9. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

10. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Neither are blowers :miffed:
    But its nice to see company's coming up with more than just the normal square boxes, I'm waiting for the first company to show us a box just meant to stream from a PC.

12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

So no steam box for any of us in the beta test (except for lucky forum members who are US based, they still have a chance).

13. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Yeah, what a shame.

14. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

There's some seriously retarded people complaining on the discussion bit of the article on steam community group!

How anyone can complain when all you did was say, "Yes I'd like to register myself to be drawn from a hat to try one" is beyond me. God knows what they do when they don't win the lottery, or monopoly! :D

15. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Well to be honest Cerberus90, there was no "have an US address" requirement, and considering the value of the hardware the lucky 300 get, many of them just feel "robbed of chance". To be honest, if it would have been known from the start, i wouldn't have even bothered joining for example. Like the $100k Borderlands Loot Hunt - i didn't bother because they clearly stated that you can only win if you are US based (except the ingame loot).

16. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Steam OS will be available for download on December 13

17. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

18. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Agreed. Can't wait for streaming beta now

19. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

But it's not cost anything to join and try. If it had cost money to enter the runnings, I could imagine people being annoyed. From some of the comments on there though, you'd think valve had told them they were losing all they're steam games and their computer and house because they weren't in the US. Suppose it's just the usual internet drivel, probably from 10 year olds, :D

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

High expectations, low IQ :D