1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I guess it will be ready March, they just gonna hold it til then:(
    I wish full game to be released Christmas this year, but looking at this it won't happen...

By the way - I saw some rumors that customer HD version of Oculus Rift coming out Summer - anyone saw that too?

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I saw the rumours, but I still think Q4!

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I wish I could buy it for Christmas....
    At least play other games and wait for SC.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Puts launch date of around march next year if not a little later.

Be nice to finally play something though.

Not heard much on oculus rift in recent months.

5. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

To be fair we have been waiting for so long most of us are chomping at the "Bit" but they will probably use the press as a larger server test before giving it to us and I'm ok with that.

6. Parge

I doubt it. Most other games yes, SC - no. The gamers built this game, and so far no one in the press has got early access to anything. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

You should go on the internet. Its non stop Oculus rift news.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

About a release date I meant. Heard plenty rumours but nothing concrete. Rumours seem to be peoples hopes more than any actual information as well.

Seen prices range from $200 - $500 for it which goes from pretty cheap to rather expensive.

Too much rumour not enough facts where oculus is currently concerned.

8. Tomisama

Tomisama the loyal fanatic

Hmm, the x-55 ships the first week of April, and the DFM released in the second week, one year to practice and get to know everybody, and then SC? Sounds like a good plan :D

morph

9. Thedarkrage

I'm torn between the X-55 and the X-52 pro

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

It'll be very interesting to see how the dogfighting module shapes up - this'll be the first proper taster of gameplay so let's keep our digits crossed that it lives up to the hype. I can foresee a few guys on here needing a change of underwear if this can deliver on it's promise! :D

11. asura

asura jack of all trades

Never mind new underware, it may well be new GPU time - for me at least... My humble FX4600 is showing its age :(

12. Thedarkrage

I bet it bloody is. was that befor the 8800 series?

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Going by what was said on Wingman's Hangar, it looks like the CIG offices will be doing the large server test in an inter-office championship.

Once the DFM is out, Scythes will begin appearing in owner's hangars.

14. asura

asura jack of all trades

Nope; it was the 8800 series, or rather its professional equivalent Quardo FX4600 - same memory as 8800GTX same number of processes as the later 620MB GTS's. Performance in CAD applications so much better than Geforce; games, not so much...

And Doh! I'd been putting off getting a Black Mamba till the end of February, but decided a valentines treat was in order... and they've run out of the damn things! Typical!

Last edited: 13 Feb 2014
  15. Voluntary_Pariah

Voluntary_Pariah a Real Man™

Had a look at the X55 videos and it looked ok (not that I have much experience with flight sticks). I was wondering what you guys thought/were thinking about it?

16. Parge

If you are buying a flight stick for Star Citizen, you'd be absolutely mad not to wait for the official one!

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Not much is really known about it, I think everyone's waiting for review samples and proper pricing to make a decision.

18. Thedarkrage

Thinking the same I'm not going to get one right away I still have a cyborgX/FLY 5 for the moment but will upgrade

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I have a sneaking suspicion an "official" SC stick is going to be a rebrand of the X55. Thrustmaster don't have the market presence any more to be a partner, and only really operate at the top end anyway with the Warthog. CH Flightsticks are basically USA only, and they also leave a lot to be desired in terms of design, which is something that is important to CIG. Basically the only stick/HOTAS manufacturer with worldwide presence and volume is Saitek, and if they're going for a single product it'll be the X-55 with an SC paint job. If they're thinking multiple products we may see a flightstick (think FLY5) and separate throttles. However, I reckon it'll be a HOTAS, and the X-55 fits both in terms of budget and features.

An outside curveball would be Logitech, but they don't really have a reputation in the flightstick market these days (Extreme 3D being their only product basically).

Essentially, my advice right now for controls?
    - If you're in the DFM, or wanting practice (Elite: Dangerous is an excellent choice here) prior to the launch of SC, you'll need a stick sooner than the SC branded one will be available. As such, I'd recommend the Saitek X-55 as long as the reviews pan out in the next few weeks or so, or if you have the cash the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS. Pedals on the latter are mandatory, and desirable on the former (but the X-55 does have a twist stick). If you're on an absolute budget, then the likes of the FLY5, Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X, Extreme 3D Pro, T1600M or even an Xbox controller would be the way forwards. If you're wanting a stick right now, the X-52 Pro is available for about £110 and represents a good buy for that price.
    - If you're happy to wait, then by all means wait for the official SC stick, but don't expect miracles. It won't be a magical 6D control scheme, dual sticks or anything like that. I think the hype machine has gone in to overdrive and there are going to be a bunch of disappointed people.

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

As a massive curve ball, I kind of wish they'd team up with Corsair as they're moving into more and more fields and the stuff they make is fantastic (I own a lot of their kit) so thats the partnership I'd love to see. Failing that Razor always seem like they're up for this kind of thing, so maybe they'll hop on board. The issue being neither one has made a HOTAS before, so results could be anyones guess.

Also, for current sticks, the X52 basic is still a good buy, and its usually £30 cheaper than the Pro without loosing too many features. I do enjoy mine a lot, but they LEDs are a real pain.