1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Last chance before a break :)

for what it's worth: fast > pictures

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I was thinking just that - this isn't the place for silly bickering...

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Not quite mate, MTB.

Now please, take your flame else where.

I'll not bother with Strava too much then, to be fair I mostly use it for the map to work out the return to the car. I don't fancy getting lost and stuck up on the Quantocks.

I'll join the Strava group though.

I did get a little footage from the ride this evening, it's not the most exciting, but it does show off the Quantocks a little, if anyone is interested I'll pop it up, just don't expect PinkBike VotD.

And at the highest point we reached, photo (supermuchurios WILL be pleased) op!

[​IMG]

4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Sorry.

5. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

So I finally got a taste of MTB properly today at Bedgebury Forest which was brilliant. Even managed to borrow some tap dancing shoes to wear for the trip.

The subway/fury frankenbike did the job a treat and my mate who is a very good MTB rider said I did very well to do two looks on my first go.

[​IMG]
    The Frankenbike
    by Lance Welch, on Flickr

I think it's fair to say I will be going again.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2014
  6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Just got back from the showing of Steve Peat's Won't Back Down, not sure what I think really. The bloke is a legend, but I was expecting more from the combo of Peat and Clay Porter, maybe I was expecting to watch a film like Roam.

I'm still sore from 31 cyclocross miles last night in my nearly tap shoes. Bring on Thrunton Woods on Thursday for some off road so I can't be bullied.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: 13 Apr 2014
  7. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I have seen the error of my ways and apologised, can we move on?

8. Margo Baggins

bah you should of said! Bedgebury is almost my local. It's good there. you did 2 loops? That is good. The thing I don't like about bedgers is it's very pedly. There isn't ever a great rewarding down, it's just little up downs all the time. Glad you had a good time :)

The cardiac at bedgebury really is horrible. mainly due to that little gully you stuck in while you ride up.

9. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Bit of a bad morning, woke up to see the shed doors open & my Single speed gone thankfully the ****ers left my helmet & gloves behind.

If anyone see's a fat theif struggling to peddle a stupidly high gear ratio Bright Orange single speed with unique flared handle bars, orange peddles, solid black 30mm deep rims, White saddle, Black carbon seat post, with a home made rear light as bright as the sun glowing red, let me know or chase him up the road.

:( pissed off.

10. Lance

Dude that ducking sucks!

Have you put photos up on the relevant places? Is this at the new house?

11. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Man that blows :( I'm be a wreck if mine of pinched :/ Hopefully you get it back.

12. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I'm not sure where to put pictures up tbh, I'm going to put a picture up on FB today with a description.

Am living at my GFs place till everything goes through with the house, have been for a while now, its strange that they didn't touch any of the other bikes just took mine & left my helmet and gloves, its just too much of a coincidence then anything.

Due to the uniqueness of the bike I don't think it'll be seen in 1 piece again, the really annoying truth is they'll strip it down for parts and throw away the frame :(.

Unless it was a really fit thief I would love to see the CCTV(if there was any) of him struggling up the road.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2014
  13. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Going by the fact they just took your bike, they potentially sound like they know what they're doing. Doesn't seem like an opportunist theif. The police may be aware of a gang doing it, amd hopefully may lead somewhere with finding it?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

14. Margo Baggins

Morgan that is really bad news :( sorry to hear that brother man, I will keep an eye on pinkbike and locally. The frame is on one isn't it?

15. Lance

Yeah if I head down that way again I'll let you know, there seemed to be some really nice guys around which was cool. I loved how many families I saw riding around too.

Looking at the strava data (once I cropped it having forgotten to turn it off and got numerous KOM down the motorway) I seemed to be in the top 30-50% which I'm very happy with on what it to be honest a pretty rickety bike now. I think I will service the front suspension too, but I suspect that it might be past it, maybe I'll stick one of those Rockshox £80 forks on if it breaks until I can afford/need an On-One 456 Sram X5 or so.

My guess is that someone followed you home and then went in later on their own after the one bike rather than everything else that was in there, very targeted rather than a random attack or a group.

16. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Cheers mate, yeah it was a Pompino frame no markings left after blasting the labels off mind its just pure Burned orange colour so can't miss it.

I'm going to keep looking on gumtree and the local bike shops in hope.

17. Lance

You could put it onto the bike radar stolen bike thread too?

Interesting article on why we don't ride in the gutter. From a car website.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2014
  18. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Morning all. Starting a new job at the end of the month in Cardiff. The company is involved with the Cycle to Work Scheme, and I was after a little more info about the scheme from you guys.

I more than likely have no need for a new bike, unless I can find something interesting, but even then it'd feel like I'm only spending money for the sake of it, which doesn't sit right with me. Am I allowed to only buy safety gear on the scheme but use my existing bike?

So basically, would I be allowed to use some of the £1000 on the following:

- lights, and is there a cap on how much I can spend on a set? Can I get a kick-ass £200+ set?
    - lock?
    - new helmet for road use?
    - lockable skewers? Pitlock or similar.
    - commuting clothes? A nice waterproof jacket, trousers, bag, shoes etc.
    - are you allowed to buy any components on the scheme? Could do with some new flat pedals, and I wouldn't mind some new lightweight wheels for my singlespeed commuter. Wouldn't mind upgrading a few other components if I were allowed, a middleburn uno crankset, CK headset, new stem and seat post wouldn't go amiss ;).

If the answer is yes to some of the above, what shops can I use? Halfords doesn't really cut it for me.

19. Pieface

Pieface Modder

As far as I'm aware the answer is no. The accessories are only with the purchase of a new bike

20. Lance

If thats the case just get a really cheap bike at the same time. You can get parts at the same time as far as I've seen. I wonder if you could use it to get a new set of wheels...