1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Agreed.

As soon as you can jump as a group, get interdicted as a group, take missions as a group and actually be space friends with people rather than just moving about in the same space it'll be great :)

NaloaC, if you're gonna do it, do it sooner rather than later.
    A lot of the stretch goals are for people who backed before that goal so it's worth throwing a base pledge in. You can always melt it for store cash and get something bigger/better later.

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

NaloaC - Once you jump in, you get ALL stretch goals announced after you joined. Some are upgrades to the game engine like $54mill's AI upgrades, but some like $55mill's "Ballistic Gatling Cannon" are only for people who backed (bought in) before the target is reached.
    Just get yourself an Aurora Game pack + AC pass (approx $45). Anything further can be earned in-game.

$55 million stretch goal was "Ballistic Gatling Cannon"
    $56million stretch goal announced - "Arena Commander Upgrade" whatever that means.

3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Has any one picked up a Aegis Reclaimer?

My hanger

Aegis Dynamics Avenger
    F7C-R Hornet Tracker
    Hornet F7C-S Ghost
    RSI Constellation Aquila

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Nah, the Reclaimer just didn't hold enough interest for me. Something to get in game if I ever decide I want one.

So my hangar to date:

F7C-M Super Hornet
    F7C-S Hornet Ghost
    Avenger
    350R
    M50
    Constellation Phoenix
    Gladiator
    Retaliator
    Gladius
    Aurora LX (should I spend the $5 to get an LN?)
    Cutlass

My wife is now rolling with:
    Aurora ES
    Avenger
    Cutlass

5. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

if you could keep only one ship, which would it be?

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Just a small hangar over here:-

Aurora LN
    F7C-R Hornet Tracker
    Frelancer DUR
    M50

I may melt the Aurora for a Mustang.

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

A good question. If it came down to it, probably my Constellation, but that's based off the information we have so far - the Retaliator might run it a close second. If I could have two, I'd be keeping the Super Hornet on top.

If the Idris is ever available again, I'd melt everything apart from the Constellation in a heartbeat (and only keeping the Connie because it's my game package, and the original run package with a signed collectors box at that).

8. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I wonder How much of game and universe will be made?
    Will they make a game in which you feel almost totally free to do as you like,

Looking at the concept art of star citizen, as bad arse as the space combat may be, in time it might not even be the most compelling thing about Star Citizen, the space combat or combat operations should be the peak experience or the high note in a crescendo.

You should be able to almost live in a city / planet and feel completely as satisfied as a star ship combat jock smashing it up every night.

I cant see the game going away any time soon so you have to imagine it will take advantage of future technology CPU/GPU, best VR tech of the day.

Id like to be able to go in game have some solid targets to reach alone /with team work, but also be able to go off the beaten path and visit cool sci city's and just do random stuff.

http://s18.postimg.org/w2dghf8ex/Reclaimer_Size_2.png
    http://dirkloechel.deviantart.com/art/Size-Comparison-Science-Fiction-Spaceships-398790051

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I very much get that is their intention - going beyond the dogfighting and in to actually living in the universe. Right now, of course, we're only seeing the dogfighting side, but the PU reveal is apparently coming up.

Of course it's limited by the technology we have now, but equally I hope SC is going to be around (and hence updated) for a long long time. Look at WoW as example of how long a game can keep going...

10. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

I grabbed one, its right up my alley, which is bizarre because of all the fun jobs there will be in the universe, like exploring or combat, i've opted for fuel transportation and garbage collection :D
    I've gone for complementary ships for our ickle Org (4 main, 2-4 who dont really follow SC at all)
    so they've gone for things like a Freelancer MAX & DUR, Conny, Hornets etc. As we're pretty small, it seems to make more sense to have variety, no point having 2 constellations, although Hornets and similar bring-along ships are useful for supporting.

Ive got:
    Aurora LN (package)
    Starfarer
    Gladius
    Reclaimer
    +MIS upgrade
    + Mustang AMD this week

I think the 'one you'd want to keep' is typically going to be the first one you really wanted to buy, which would be the Starfarer for me.

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Yesterday's 10ftC:-

12. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Dont think I'd go for a Reclaimer, but ya never know.

Current hanger:
    • Aurora LN
    • Origin M50 Racer
    • Xi'An Khartu-al
    • Cutlass
    • Freelancer Max
    • Constellation Aquila
    • Constellation Phoenix

13. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I'm stuck now I don't know what to do screen wise, the 4k screen I have is way to high res for my eyes, I have one u2414h left so I put it up to take a look but its hard to gauge if three will be enough, and my workspace looks like this now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I need to either get another 2x Dell U2414h, or get some 27" screens.

I know if I get Dell 2414h's I am going to regret not getting bigger, whats the point of having a Obutto if your not going to decorate it with big screens ?

Any recommendations for triple screen?

Games
    Star Citizen
    Assetto Corsa
    Arma 3

5 to 8ms response.
    Big Screens, res 1920x1080, up to 2560x1440, but then if I do that I have to change my GPU from a 3gb 780TI to a card with 4Gb and SLI it which is going to be expensive, plus I don't need that kind of res per panel when I have three screens.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-i...vga-1920x1080-250cd-m2-5m1-5ms-speakers-heigh

http://www.ebuyer.com/525367-asus-v...tor-vn279qlb?gclid=CIbmpYTVicECFQLJtAodDVwAGA

I am going to be ordering on Thursday or Friday so any tips, I might as well get big huge screens right?

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

1080p 27"ers?

15. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Out of interest, have you tried using the 4K monitor set to a 1080 resolution? I was wondering how they dealt with it, cos before i got my monitors i planned on buying a 3rd monitor which i realised wasnt going to be practical due to displayport adapters not being able to do my native resolution, and then in the future the plan was to get 3x 4K's and run them at 1080p for the most part, certainly for gaming. I know running say 800x600 on a 1080p screen would look bad, simply because theres still a very limited number of pixels creating the image, but would a 1080p image on a 30" 4k monitor look worse than on a 30" native 1080p screen?

These 3 29" monitors i have (see sig) have been great though, IMO a tad wide overall for regular desktop use (i have taskbars set to show that monitors programs only, and can often miss skype messages (sound disabled) as im not looking at that screen for extended periods) but for gaming its great.
    The only things ive bothered with in multi-monitor are iRacing & Assetto Corsa, i have fired up SC a few times too, but racing is something i'd do frequently and both titles work fine on a single 290x, i wasnt keen on BF4 like this, but theres minor advantages single screen with it being ultra-wide, but i dunno about playing things like BF4 or Skyrim, stuff like that. Simulators like iRacing & SC, it should be fantastic. I got them for £320ea i think, they were on a 1-day special on OCUK the day i realised i couldnt displayport adapter a 3rd monitor, so i snapped them up. I think they're about £340 normally, and are most likely £300 now.

16. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I have been running the 4k screen at 1920x1080 because at native I just cant see any thing image quality is great, like it is a native 1920 screen.

17. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Thats surprising, although thats what i was hoping, but I always had a nagging feeling it just wouldnt work too well.

Would it not make sense then to go with 2 more of these, as opposed to 3 new 1080p screens with displayport, or 2x U2414H.

The logic behind my original plan to buy 3x 4K was that there was no sense in buying 3 1080p monitors when 4K was on the horizon and in a year or 2 i'd be annoyed i'd be shelling out for another 3 screens.
    Buying 3 at £500ea, while expensive, seemed no worse than spending £600 now & £900 in a few years. Pretend they're 1080p for a while, and when hardware picks up, you've already got 4K monitors.

18. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14181-Arena-Commander-V091-Released

Just had a quick look at the My Hangar page (click configuration), its pretty good. It lists all your hangar-ready ships, and then the various hangar bays, so you can allocate which ships go in which room/s. I have a huge choice of where to put my LX :thumb: But its a nice idea.

Cutlass & Freelancers are 'medium', Constellations are 'large', the rest are 'small' and you can either fit upto 3 small ships into 1 bay, the others require their own bay. Im sure 2 Cutlass would fit, but i guess Cutlass + Freelancer wouldnt.
    It also seems as though the default is an empty hangar, which may well mean no ships in the hangar. So make sure you have a play before going into the game.

Last edited: 1 Oct 2014
  19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

$55million letter:- https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14184-Letter-From-The-Chairman

$57million stretch goal = The first of the wave 4 ships. Choose from:-

1. Search & Rescue
    2. Passenger Liner / Transport
    3. Boarding / Assault Ship
    4. Repair Ship
    5. Minelayer / Minesweeper
    6. Salvage Tug
    7. Recon Craft
    8. Science / Hospital Ship
    9. Starter Ship #3
    10. Deep Space Fighter (Twin Engine)

Currently, the Science/Hospital ship is winning by a large margin.

20. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Cool. I went for the Boarding/Assault ship. :thumb:

Can't see what you'd do on a science/hospital ship that would be much fun? Any ideas?