Rant Any Openreach engineers here?

Discussion in 'General' started by N17 dizzi, 28 Apr 2015.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Why is it you clear jobs that you have clearly not fixed? My phoneline and infinity was at least working, yes it was an impacted noisy line, but it worked. Fault was raised, I am in no hurry, sort it out whenever.

I get a text at 4pm, your line is back on sorry for the fault. Is the line back on? No!

I call BT to ask what is going on, why has the engineer cleared the job and left me with nothing? They send the fault back, and at half past 4, the engineer arbitrarily clears the job again having done nothing apart from consider his going home time. No phone call, no attempt to explain the situation to the customer or BT, just clear the job.

:wallbash:

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Ha ha!

This is a great rant, but it won't elicit a response from one if there is.

3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

This is the problem with mass privatization and having layers of buck passing, otherwise known as management: denial of responsibility. Government love it.

The Openreach engineer isn't answerable to me. Some poor sod at the call centre who has nothing to do with it has to apologize for the total lack of communication. The job is too big, he cant do it on his own, the wires are too old and need replacing - whatever it is, why not simply say so! Not just clear the effing job!

4. Addie

Addie What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately that is the nature of the beast that is Openreach, it may be that you had a line engineer look at the fault who found no fault on the line, so he'd report it as such. Perhaps it actually required an SFI engineer, it's a hard game to play and one I deal with on a daily basis working for a CP for a B2B company. But noise on a line, if you mean like a crackle or a hiss is always a pain to get sorted. One ticket I've dealt with has had 3 engineer visits and only the 3 one was able to sort it even though the pair from the exchange to the cab had been changed, it seems at least 2 of them are faulty!

You can always escalate the issue... that will get you probably no where. Just got to "bite down on the mouth piece" and fight it out.

5. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

What Addie said!
    It is frustrating, just keep chasing it, it is all that you do.

6. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

It is a noisy line, plus the speed I was getting is almost half expected 50/12 instead of 77/20.

Thanks anyway chaps. Another day passes, still no line. I will phone BT again tomorrow ^^

7. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

The half speed thing is interesting - I get similar, and after a bit of back-and-forth with a decent engineer, discovered that the cables from the cabinet to my house are actually aluminium, not copper, so I'll never get any higher speeds. :(

8. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

The line was sorted out today. The speed is still low for infinity 2, but I cant complain as I am getting £8 off for 12 months. Hopefully the DLM will up the speed if a fault was found.

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ah, good, an anti-BT rant! Let me add mine!

I now have my own house (yay!), which obviously means I needed to move my telephone line, which was with BT. I called them a month in advance and jumped through all the hoops, asking for the Infinity package. So far, so good.

First problem: the lovely old couple who were living there then went to transfer their BT service to their new home, which they couldn't do due to my order. I called up BT, who told me I had to cancel my order to allow them to do this, then reinstate it. A bit arse-about-face, but only a little inconvenient.

Anyway, the router arrives in the post a couple of days before the engineer is due to turn up as expected. On the day the engineer is due to turn up, I get a call whilst I'm cooking lunch; in the time it took me to put down a saucepan and wipe my hands on a towel, they hang up. The call was from BT - no answerphone message was left and attempting to call back the number just resulted in a recorded message telling me I had a missed call from BT. Half an hour before the deadline for the engineer to turn up, I call up BT and am informed my order has been 'cancelled' and was scheduled to be called back on Tuesday. This was a Friday evening and (without trying to sound like a UKIP politician) I was talking to a chap with a heavy Indian accent, so I gave up and decided to call back Monday.

I called back Monday and was told what I had been told on the Friday and that I had been scheduled for a call on Tuesday. The conversation went something like this:

(me) 'So I'm not going to get a call until Tuesday? Why can't I talk to someone now?'

'It's the way our system works, sir.'

'But I'm on the phone now!'

'The people on that team don't directly talk to customers, sir.'

'Don't talk to customers?! But they're going to call me! A customer!'

'Sorry, sir, it's the way the system works. You will get a call between 8AM and 8PM.'

'8AM and 8PM?! That's a very large window - I have a lot of things to do during the day and you'll probably miss me like you did before. I want you to call me at 8AM.'

'Okay, sir, I shall put a note on your account. Do you have another contact number?'

'No I don't have another number because you haven't sorted out my land line! Goodbye!'

Anyway, I waited until midday before giving up hope and looking up other companies. I eventually went for Talktalk, which was actually quite a bit cheaper.

BT still weren't done with me though - I got a call mid afternoon:

(BT lady): 'Hello, is this Peter?'

'Speaking.'

'This is BT. I'm confirming that your BT line will be active tomorrow.'

'But doesn't an engineer need to come out to activate it?'

'No, sir, that is not necessary.'

'Well, you're too late. Due to the awful customer service I have experienced during the last few days, I have signed up with Talktalk instead. Please cancel everything I have with BT. Make sure I won't pay any more money to yourselves - I have already cancelled the direct debit.'

'Okay, sir.'

'Will you confirm that BT will not try to take any more money from me?'

'Yes, sir.'

'Good. Goodbye.'

I've still had an email requesting the return of the router though.

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

So let me get this straight.

You didn't like BT's customer service, so you went for TalkTalk? The one company known to have The. Worst. Customer. Service. Record. Ever?

Wow. BT must have really screwed up :-D

Back to the original post, there was an article on Radio 4 yesterday about OpenReach and how new housing estates are waiting for 6 months or more to get their phone lines connected. Excuse after excuse, attempting to blame everyone else. They wouldn't even talk to the Beeb about their problems :sigh:

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This.

I almost drenched my keyboard in coffee.

BT are like "you think we're bad and you went to TalkTalk?", "be seeing you soon!" :hehe:

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I did not know that!

However, come May 8th, I should never have to speak to a phone company again - barring issues, of course.

13. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Haha - and therein lies the problem. Fingers crossed for plain sailing though :thumb:

14. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I have the same problem and was told the same by an OR engineer. Strangely though, when I put the question to Ann Beynon (head of BT Wales) during a radio phone-in, she said the problems surrounding aluminium cabling are, and I quote, "a myth".

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Talk Talk are known throughout the industry for having the absolute worst customer service. If my memory serves me right they were recently fined by Ofcom because of it.

I’m with Virgin Media – just for ‘Naked’ Fibre – can’t really complain too much apart from the fact that the router they supplied occasionally drops your Ethernet connection with multiple devices connected. Stuck a separate switch in there and seems to work fine.

16. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I used to work for a retailer that dealt with Talk Talk and by this I mean we sold it.. the amount of people we had come in with a talk talk issue was insane we just couldn't deal with them ourself so had to send them away to ring talk talk.

Also I am with BT in my old flat i had 1 issue in 2.5 years and that was a faulty router, since i moved at the end of march I have had 2 weeks of no internet due to a line fault which BT claimed wasnt there and was magically fixed the day after I said if its not fixed in a week I will cancel my contract under the T&C's. I will say the BT customer service is rubbish if its a technical fault other wise the UK call centre operation is great. But if i dont have another issue I cant fault them.

Like i said in my old flat I had no issues with my connection on infinity.