Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

F****** Cancer again.
    My old friend and boss for 17 years passed away this afternoon aged 63; liver cancer that was undiscovered for over 10 years and diagnosed coming up 3 years ago.
    Very concerned for his partner who has cared for him daily for the last many months, and has MS herself.
    Been lucky to be able to help sorting things for him, but he was expecting to last until the new year; so a shock rather than a surprise.
    Upside, the hospital with be getting a new Linac from his bequest.
    RIP Mate

2. teabag

teabag What's a Dremel?

Sad news. RIP your friend

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Thanks fella, I spoke to my friend (his carer) who said that he slipped away quietly having had breathing problems. Saved him the last stages of pain with a big tumor and discomfort.

4. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I'm out of tea for the next 2 days, the time my new batch will take to be delivered.

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Not sure if it is available where you are, but look into hyperbaric Oxygen therapy. There is evidence it helps regenerate saliva glands, at least after radiation. Worked for my G/F after cancer.

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Up here in Edinburgh the health board still uses leeches and witchcraft and this modern stuff is not available. Plus it is not actually considered a proven medical treatment for use here in the UK.

7. teabag

teabag What's a Dremel?

My life is being ruined by thoughts!

8. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

You should definitely move to Glasgow, where we get BMI and Nuffield hospitals spaced evenly every 5 miles!
    So long as you've got the insurance (or straight up money), they don't care what the treatment is!

9. Scroome

Scroome Modder

I had emergency surgery for my Crohn's back in October. Ended up having an Ileostomy performed and now have a stoma and bag for the next six months.

Unfortunately for me, the stoma is not a great one. It's almost flush with the skin, so I'm getting leaks galore. The nurses are fantastic and are trying all these different bags on me, to get one that will fit purpose. It's a slog, but I will get there. The leaking is causing the skin around the Stoma to corrode and get quite sore.

I'm just glad it's only for 6 months.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I had similar leakage issues with my PEG unfortunately the NHS or certainly not up here, use the best equipment judging what fellow group members from around the world on a tonsil cancer group I belong to on FB. I had to put a gauze pad modded to fit round the tube with antiseptic cream because of an infection I got there which defied all antibiotics. Only cleared up when I said enough is enough and pulled the PEG out.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Organisation, or lack thereof. Had two major features scheduled: a build-a-PC thing for the 30th, and a head-to-head Steam Machine thing for the 7th. Supplier of parts for the first agreed then took two weeks to say "actually, since our MD left things have gone to shite, and we might not be able to get this signed off" and now parts have literally *just* arrived at head office for in-house photography - and won't be reaching me until next Saturday. Then, the publisher wants in-house photography of the Steam Machines - one of which is only arriving on Monday, and which they want on Tuesday and won't be able to get back to me until next Saturday again.

Now, they've agreed to deadline extensions - the 14th for the build and the 9th for the Steam Machine review - but that has a knock-on effect on work I'm supposed to be doing for other clients. Couple to that the hours I've spent chasing suppliers and getting things organised, I'm going to be lucky to break even.

Last time I agree to anything for this client unless the parts are already in-hand. Absolutely crazy, and at a time when I'm rushing to get the house ready for our second baby's birth in January? Not impressed.

And breathe...

12. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

It could always be worse,
    Your child could always come out with a distinctly deep tan that is now politically incorrect to now say out-loud...

That is, unless your SO is of the deep tanned complexion. In which case, HURRAH!

13. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Agreeing to a job on the side of Snowdon in driving rain.

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Trying to get rid of a vanity plate. Holy ****, I thought these were meant to be easy to deal with. It's a cluster**** of forms and ********!

15. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

BP is 166 over 94. 23 average diet slim lanky build not ultra healthy but certainly not full of salt and sugar, I don't really crave sweet things and so i don't buy them. On a blood pressure machine, had an ECG and blood test and have been called back for a second blood test (i don't think she got enough last time in honesty)

I'm just stressed

Last edited: 29 Nov 2015
  16. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Job interview tomorrow in which if successful my monthly pay would treble.

Do i know what to expect? No
    Have i prepared answers for the common questions? No
    Will i just bow my head in shame and apologise for wasting their time? most definitely!

17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Why haven't you prepared?

18. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

You really don't help yourself much do you?

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I tell you what, if I were interviewing for the chance to treble my salary, I'd be doing everything in my power to prepare as well as possible.

Fair enough about not knowing what to expect, but the vast majority of interviews these days are competency-based, so some relatively straightforward research via Google will give you a ton of advice as to how to prepare for this sort of question, answers using STAR principles and common lines of questioning. Whilst you can overprepare, you want to have a few good examples in your back pocket going into an interview that you can trot out when appropriate (and if you can have multiple answers to the same question, and answers that can be used for multiple questions, so much the better).

Anyway, there's still time to get some prep in before tomorrow. Good luck!

20. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

it simply cant go any worse than my interview

they had noted by autism awareness pin and enquired about it, being unable to lie about medical conditions ( especially those that require medication ) i informed him that i was autistic and basically what that entailed and his response was the legendary...

''Have you tried NOT being autistic ? ''

i physically facepalmed over that sentence and didnt really know how to reply other than perhaps 'have you tried not being an arse '

i didnt get the job oddly enough...