1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Weirdly, a late 2009 iMac (although I suspect more 2010 if the internet is to be believed..)

i5, 27" blah blah blah. Dead display. Torch check, backlight's cack. Plug in external monitor, works dandy.

It's been interesting disassembling, and diagnosing. Popular fix is replace the panel, which is what I suspect this guy will end up wanting to do, but I'm dead curious to take it to pieces and see about the inverter. The panel is absolutely lovely, 2560x1440, so if he does and I end up with the panel lying around, I'm wondering how hard apple pinouts are to find...

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

fixed my airbrush :)

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Garage just called with a nice surprise.

They've bagged me a "priority shipment", so instead of my new car being stuck on the docks in Germany for the next couple of weeks, it's currently stuck on the docks in Grimsby!

I have to go in to do the paperwork tomorrow. :D

Downside is that I now have to book airport parking for the first half of October, instead of taking the train.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2016
  4. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

With the aid of a magnifying glass (a darn-wiggedy thick glass one with flexible stand and heavy base) and a needle I've spent the last hour realigning the pin-spring-things inside a friend's 1150 socket. :)

Things were a lot simpler when the pins were on the processor, but where's the fun in that?

Last edited: 12 Oct 2016
  5. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Local junket on Dell.
    God bless free (damn fine) food and alcohol :D

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

this has got to be the best kit ive built, its an utter monster and its ****ing huge

[​IMG]

7. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Is that the PG RX-0? I've been looking into one of those myself.

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

that it is

9. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Even Odo appears to be checking it out.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Today I joined the streaming generation as on my new Samsung UE55KU6000 55" 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV I decided to see what Amazon had to offer and came across a 'Watch the first episode free' category and decided on The Tunnel which i believe is a remake of the excellent Danish/Swedish series The Bridge.
    The first episode was good so have bought the rest of the episodes (9) which I will work my way through.
    As I am new to this lark I do not find it as user friendly as I would like as I saw a 50% off code on the Amazon page for the Tunnel but no real instructions on how to use it as if you click on by now then the full payment is taken. You have to faff about with other buying options where eventually you can input the code. So Cancelled then re-bought at half price.
    No stopping me now.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Finally have a dedicated kali machine. Time to learn to fly this thing!

Edit: Cracked my own network. Super interesting to see how it forces deauths and captures the password handshake. Gonna try using WPS next.

...May have to borrow a router for testing.

Last edited: 24 Sep 2016
  12. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

brown envelope on the floor (HM revenue and customs)...
    oh no.....

oh yes.. get in there.

Tax Calculation fro the year 6th April 2015 to 5th April 2016. You have paid too much tax. HMRC owes you (just under a grand) £900 and a few pennies.
    Some P800 tax calculation or some thing, I have no idea.

going to start saving, only taken 40 years to get to debt free ffs.
    http://imgur.com/Rzg8GZH

Last edited: 24 Sep 2016
  13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Sometimes it's the little things.

Installing some ethernet wall sockets at my parents house today, and it finally came time to drill the holes in the wall to mount the pattress downstairs (the upstairs pattress was on a plasterboard stud wall, so it was easy). The weedy little 500W hammer drill I was using wasn't touching the brickwork; it got through the plaster just fine, but totally shat itself when it came to getting through the brick. So my dad suggested I get his "big drill":

[​IMG]

It was chuffing terrifying at first, but this thing went through the brick like a hot knife through butter. Apparently this monstrosity wasn't even that expensive.

14. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Turns out I was a bit hasty and the car was collected earlier today. I know its an inanimate object but I was rather sad to see her go.

15. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

The Friday after next is the first of my sleeve sessions, To some if not most they'd see it as a ridiculous permanent scarring that costs far too much and is complete idiocy. This year has been a crazy rollercoaster that's led me to the feeling of 'I no longer care' If I can walk down the street and be super happy in myself that's my priority and slowly I'm getting there. I'm not an idiot my employer is fine with it, I'm fine with it 90% of my family are fine with it (although that doesn't matter at all) I can't spend my time worrying about a future that's not guaranteed.

I finally feel free to be myself without that fear of judgement and the confidence boost its given me is absolutely immense.

16. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

We just got news that I should be in the USA, permanently, in about a month to a month and a half. Woop!! :)

17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Just remember that your current employer is unlikely to be your employer forever.

18. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I completely understand that but in this particular scenario its definitely not going to make a blind bit of difference.

19. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I did all of my housework (the house doesn't look like a bomb site for once) so I started binge watching Steins;Gate. Bloody fantastic Anime.

20. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Diet Coke and not Pepsi Max....have you no shame???