1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Election - 8 June 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by jinq-sea, 18 Apr 2017.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

What was confirmed to me yesterday with May's brief speech at the podium outside number 10 is the utter contempt politicians have for us the electorate. Not a word of apology except for those in her party that lost their seats. Us plebs count for sweet f a even though we are told that every vote , counts, sometimes quite forcibly by one opinionated member here.
    I believe the whole farce cost around £150,000,0000, hardly money well spent? Could have given everyone in the country a couple of million quid each and we could have wasted it ourselves.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is it just me who thinks it funny that apparently the Conservatives lost every marginal seat that Mrs May visited, is that even true?

Last edited: 10 Jun 2017
  3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I wouldn't be surprised. A visit from palpatine would definitely convince me not to vote conservative, if I was on the fence.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have often heard of this thing where great people called politicians visit us plebs to hear our views on many subjects.
    I hear that they knock on doors preferring not to use door bells, is this because they are following some sort of ritual?
    I believe they also hand out presents in the form of what I believe are called pamphlets which have images of smiling people and promises of better times to come.

Can anyone confirm that this indeed does happen or easy just another story from my childhood, a fairy tale, a fable?

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Pilfered from elsewhere, brilliant.

So the conservatives won... But lost... Labour lost... But won... The SNP won and lost in Scotland but still won and the conservatives won in Scotland but lost... The government was Tory but now can't be even though it is still and they need to make some Irish chaps Tory so they can be in charge even though they were and still are... UKIP lost but because of brexit they already won... 18 independent won but didn't win because they don't have a party, so they lost but are now MPs so they won... The winner (Theresa May) is being told to resign because she didn't win and she won't because she won even though she lost...

All seems perfectly straight forward to me...

Last edited: 10 Jun 2017
  6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

From the hacked phone of DUP leader.

[​IMG]

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You should try living in a marginal, constant leafleting, constant knocks on the door, asked if i needed help walking the 50 yards to polling station, asked what time I'd be voting and even tried to check I'd voted for them.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Living in a 'marginal' sounds extremely painful perhaps this is why you get these visitations.

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

We only had about half a dozen leaflets and that was it, mostly delivered by the posty and not a whiff of anyone actually campaigning. We live in a small village, west of Taunton, Somerset.

10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

The best comment I've seen so far! :D

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I've never once seen a known name knock on doors outside of their constituency.

I have met my MP, in so much as he was elected by a ridiculous margin, and my overriding opinion of him is that he's Boris Johnson's thicker cousin.

He's been settled in this constituency for as long as I can remember, he came to my school when I was 10 - I'm thirty this year - Having been in before then, and still in now. I've never seen him knocking on doors around here. I've had more than one of his leaflets shoved through my letterbox, though.

12. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

You need to learn more history

13. Disequilibria

Disequilibria Minimodder

1600s? Please... The British aren't the overlords of cosmic justice....

14. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Is the pace of sociological change a surprise to you?

In other news - Guy's here's a petition hoping to block the Con/DUP coalition. I doubt it'll do much directly, but could be a useful political tool in pointing to, having garnered 1/2 million signatures in less than 24 hours - https://www.change.org/p/winston-no-coalition-with-the-dup-may-out-postmanpratt1