Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Court, bailiffs, eviction.

All in that order apparently.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

****. I hope you can sort that out :(.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

What name do you want on the cup?

B

B?

Yep, second letter of the alphabet.

*checks cup*

cup says 'D'

MLyons likes this.
  4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You ain't gunna find many rocket scientists working in coffee shops. Although, IMO this isn't a lack of intellect and more a case of laziness and a bad attitude. At least, that's my opinion of the staff in our local Costa and Starbucks.

Funnily enough, both the staff and £2.00 Latte in the local independent coffee shop leaves the others in the shade.

5. Vault-Tec

I can't really. It was inevitable, Byron. I've pretty much lost my wife, attempted suicide and etc because of the way this country works. I can not move out because no one will rent to me (because I am on the dreaded benefits) and I can't leave because then I would have made myself homeless so then I will be homeless.

So I am basically sat in a sinking ship and there is nothing I can do about it. I won't get into all of the ins and outs about it because it would be boring, but basically my landlady ignored me all year and then the other day said the rent was going up by £62 and I had to pay it. £600 a month, the govt gives me £520. Now I could afford it, but for what? Take a look at some of this. The lighting wire is the one in the bedroom, the filthy threadbare carpet in the hall and the entire ceiling has collapsed in the kitchen cupboard due to a damp, bare brick wall in the kitchen that she promised to fix over three years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and two weeks ago the carbon monoxide detector failed and was flashing red and the fire alarm is dead too. All of this reported to her of course, but she chose to ignore all of it because she is too tight.

I have a feeling this will cost her quite a bit more than all of that before it's done.

As I said, nothing I can do. This will make me gut wrenchingly ill but there is nothing else I can do. I need the section form (21?) to take to housing and that's it.

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Get onto your local environmental services, dude. When we were struggling to get out of our tenancy early (after months of living with a building site for a back garden, no working fire alarms, no working heating on the ground floor etc) the estate agents took sides with the landlord, but a 5 minute call to the environmental services department quickly got results.

By law, any rented property NEEDS to have working fire alarms, that's a huge fine right off the bat!

7. Vault-Tec

I have. I would imagine they phoned her, because as soon as I put the phone down she went berserk and started accusing me of damaging her flat. Then she told me she was calling the police, bailiffs etc etc. This is after 8 days of me telling her, then sending "I am still waiting" twice a day for 8 days (I got all Gandhi on her ass and pestered her politely) but yeah, she still wouldn't reply or acknowledge my text messages until I grassed her up. And that is how it has been for about three years now. Nothing has been fixed, no maintenance has been done etc.

I've now sent her an email listing all of the things that need doing within two weeks. Tomorrow morning I am going to send it by physical recorded mail etc. I know what to do sadly as I have been preparing for it for about two years. Ever since that first time she text messaged me saying she was selling the flat. I can't leave, because if I do I completely screw myself over.

8. RedFlames

Another thing for the 'broken but can't fix' list... the cooker... ****ing yay...

All you can do is ensure, to the best of your ability, that she gets screwed over too.

9. Vault-Tec

Yeah this won't be cheap for her. I'm not going anywhere until that section has been served and I am on the streets not by my choosing. So that means I gotta get everything out of here, hunker down and just wait. Will still pay the rent, just don't agree to the raise in it so she is getting what she gets now and tough titty. She has not sent a contract and I have not signed bugger all. All I asked was that for my extra rent she fix all of the problems the flat has that she has chosen (very stupidly) to ignore. And she ignored that too. She now has two weeks to fix it all, or I call environmental services back and as said, the fines will start being handed out. I'll go, but certainly not quietly. I don't give in to bullies.

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

****ing money pit of a house. came back from cardiff last weekend to notice that the off coloured bit of wall around a bedroom plug socket (which i had taken to be grubby hand marks from using the socket) looked larger and darker than before. on closer inspection it was full on soggy. took the socket off the wall to find this
    [​IMG]

mouldy manky and dangerous as hell. this is in the middle of a shared internal wall, so not condensation and also way too wet, there's nothing showing downstairs to indicate it's a central heating leak seeping up, carpet was dry, only place it could be coming from is next doors bathroom which is the opposite side.

I knock on to tell them and he says ok i'll check it out, comes round an hour later to say "can't see anything, but it's all tiled so don't really know". Thats nice mate, i don't cared if you've got to smash out some tiles but you've got a leak and if you don't sort it you're going to cause major structural problems. Doesn't seem phased, just "yeh but it's tiled". Great.

Oh thank god,just as i'm writing this I can hear them knocking them out. I'm still gonna have to rip all the plaster off that wall, which has the bedroom rad on so will be an additional pita and mean the bedroom is cold as hell, because the other radiator upstaris won't heat up for some god unknown reason, despite bleeding through enough water to drop the pressure enough to cut the boiler out. But the boiler started conking out this morning anyway, so that might need replacing. As might the cooker if it's not economical to fix.

i ****ing hate this house.

EDIT: well that escalated quickly
    [​IMG]

But on the plus side the boiler has decided to work again. For now.

EDIT 2: you know when I said things had escalated quickly.....
    [​IMG]
    I wasn't quite done escalating.

Fair play to the neighbours though, he got his dad over to smash up the bathroom with him to find and fix the leak. They're leaving their side open too to get it dried as quick as possible. Bricks are pretty soaked though. Who knows how far down it's gone, but there's no visible damage downstairs at least.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2017
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Feel rough as a badger's bum today... Apparently after I polished off two bottles of wine last night I started on the vodka - I have no idea how much I got through, but it feels like it was a lot...

Been trying to sort out my damn server all day. OpenMediaVault won't recognise my 4TB NTFS drive (it is partitioned, there is data on there), but it recognises a 500GB NTFS drive no problem. I thought the BIOS & RAID didn't support a 4TB drive, so I swapped the drives and CPU into a different machine. BIOS reads the drive just fine this time... but OpenMediaVault still doesn't recognise the filesystem. Even running lsblk in a terminal shows incorrect partitions.

In the process of swapping the CPU I managed to bend the damn pins in the CPU socket. The CPU in question is a Xeon X3323 modded to run in socket 775. You have to physically modify the 775 socket as the "notches" are in the wrong place for a Xeon; it's the second time I've damaged pins while doing this, so I'm glad I was able to fix the pins this time. I hate the landing grid array pin design :wallbash:.

I've got a USB3 adapter on order, so I'll just plug the 4TB drive into a Windows machine so I can transfer the data over the network. It'll be slow, but it looks like it'll be the only option. Once it's done I'll be wiping the drive and formatting it as EXT4...

It sounds like you've been preparing for this for a while.

12. Vault-Tec

Yup. From the first moment she sent me a text and said she was selling the flat tbh.

Crapman - rent a dehumidifier mate.

13. The_Crapman

Yeh good idea. Might see if there's one at work I can borrow. It's also in the ceiling downstairs, just gave it a little poke and the ceiling paper-paint was a bit loose and buldgey around the edge, took a peice out and the plaster is nice and dark and moist. Hopefully can just take the paper off and not have to redo the ceiling completely. At least the radiator in that room sits right under there so will help dry it out. Don't know about the wall, but not starting that off now. There's fairly wide coving that would have to be taken off, to even get a look at the top. The top plaster seems to be OK from what I can tell without causing proper damage.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Toothache, which the drugs I have on hand ain't touching. Guess I'll be ringing the dentist on Monday...

15. RedFlames

Cloves, or clove oil... if you have either...

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aye, I'm dousing it in clove oil at regular intervals. Pretty sure it's an abscess, 'cos it ain't doing as much as you might expect. I even spent half the afternoon chipmunking a clove of raw garlic. Still bloody hurts.

17. RedFlames

Hammer? [or get hammered]

MLyons likes this.
  18. The_Crapman

Nasty. Tooth pain is the some of the worst. Maybe it being so close to the brain makes it worse?

19. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

PUJ worst airport ever. YUL worst luggage management ever. TBSM out.

20. Vault-Tec

At times I still can't believe 1981. My father died in October. My mother decided to take us to her sister's house (our second home, even before dad died). So we went up there and had Christmas. Went home on the 29th December and a pipe had burst. The upstairs ceiling had collapsed, along with all of the downstairs ceilings, pretty much leaving us a shell. We had these dehumidifiers in there and man, they would fill with water so fast you wouldn't believe it, even though you could not see a drop of water anywhere. Amazing tbh.