1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard since someone explained 420 to me.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Apparently it's not the first time it's happened either.

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm also confused how you would make it not work with those chars. I think universally they're supported in most systems. Knowing my luck after saying that the forums won't work with them.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Seven-bit ASCII, innit. They're probably batch-processing on a PDP-8, like God intended.

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Srsly, supporting unicode isn't that hard these days...

6. RedFlames

Lazy validation. Some are properly lazy and only accept A-Z/a-z, some are slightly better, but still lazy and accept things like áéíóú, ñ or äöü. Or they down't allow them chars because the system that prints the tickets doesn't support it.

Well hello there Mr □□□□□□ □□□□□□□□□

EDIT: or what gareth said.

7. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

First time in awhile my partner could come fishing and we didn’t have any kids(suggested by her) which was a surprise, 30 minutes in and she stands up the wind blows her chair and her new iphone goes straight off the pier into the depths of the sea. Tears ensued and that was the end of that fishing trip.

8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

That sucks! I hope she had insurance. :(

That's exactly why my phone never leaves my side. I'm too worried that I'll lose it, even though I have Apple Care+ ... a $1250 phone (paid outright) isn't something I want to lose.

9. RedFlames

That's partly why i'd never have a $1200 phone... or a $2000 watch...

A £99 Nokia 3 won't set any benchmark records or win any photo awards... but nor will I be [as] worried about fumbling and dropping it... or having it knocked out of my hand by some eedjit...

[...i say that as someone whose phone is currently a £15 nokia feature phone]

10. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

No insurance unfortunately, lesson learned the hard way

I’m not one for expensive phones either, I only have a very cheap hand me down iphone 5c Which i only use for 2 factor auth, our computers to us is the equivalent to her and her phone i guess (guessing we all have nice rigs).

She has vowed to never go fishing again though lol

Last edited: 15 Jul 2018
  11. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Eh, I’m a sucker for stupidly expensive toys. I can’t help myself. :D

12. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Fishing ... You let a woman go fishing ?

They're bad luck on ships too, I'm told.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  13. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Estate agents, meant to have a viewing, neither the agent nor the viewers have turned up. Now cant get hold of anyone in said estate agent to get an explanation as to why we were not told its obviously been cancelled.

14. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

No breaking or losing things seems like a nice option too? I have so many friends that seem to have a perpetually smashed phone screen. I get that sh__ can happen occasionally, but managing to destroy a phone on an annual basis, even in big chunky cases, seems that maybe they should be paying a little bit more attention to what they're doing.

MLyons likes this.
  15. RedFlames

Never underestimate the numptitude of the general public, let alone the local chavs who'll smash your **** for fun.

I've only had my phone smahed once and that was in a case, in my pocket after getting bodychecked by some rando.

Had my phone knocked out of my hands more times than i can count though, luckily i've saved it before it hit something solid in each case.

16. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Tweaked my neck in the gym, now for a nice afternoon of looking only to the left.

17. liratheal

Paint protection film.

Or, rather, **** paint protection film.

The RS has rear quarter paint protectors fitted from factory, they're fairly square. So I know the ones mine came with are not original, but I don't know what they are. Five. Hours. To remove one. I've still got the near side to do and I really, really, don't want to. Getting the plastic off wasn't so bad, warm a second, scrape with plastic scraper until the film shreds itself, rinse repeat. Getting the glue off from under it, holy ****. Half a bottle of 100% propyl alcohol, five microfibres, and a lot of fingernail action. Also, about a third of a roll of tape. Once it was "loose" it was easier to stick tape and pull, pulling off the glue.

The point of all this self torture, you ask? Two fold.

1: I want the original looking PPF. The old stuff is cruddy looking, and when the rest of the car is waxed, the rear arches look shiiiit.
    2: There was a bit of rust on the arch lips. I know these go bad like that <insert finger snap>, so I attacked it before it got any worse to buy time to go to a bodyshop (as well as a trip to prostrip, hopefully..) for a full respray (Dings, dents, etcetera all over), but to get at it and get paint on the rust free bits, I had to remove the old PPF.

Does it look any better? Not really. But at least I know there's less rust to appear at a later date and demand new arches for its hunger.

18. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Akasa Tim clean is amazing at getting rid of sticky stuff.

19. liratheal

Acetone based?

I have a massive can of acetone (Seriously, if this house ever catches fire, it's gonna go biiiig..), but my concern is the plastic sills - I don't know whether that'd react badly to it, so I avoided it. Although I could probably be less generous than I was with the alcohol.

I wish I still had my thing of old formula goo gone. That stuff was amazing.

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Just says 'citrus based'. Could try a paste of orange zest. lol