1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Very refreshing. I'd forgotten what honesty sounded like.

2. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

A broken clock is still right two times a day
    "Economists who had a better record at calling extreme events had a worse record in general. “The analyst with the largest number as well as the highest proportion of accurate and extreme forecasts,” they wrote, “had, by far, the worst forecasting record.” Denrell & Fang.

Or the UK is going to go into the next storm with a market and currency that is already under/realistically valued because of the current slow bleed and will see a backdated surge of investment from domestic and foreign investors looking for growth.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]

The problem is that there is literally no market that the UK could possibly tap into. More than three-quarters of the world GDP comes from the EU, China, US and Japan --if those Big Four go into economic decline, there is no place else for the UK to go. The UK is selling £18 billion a year to China while Germany sells £83 billion (Japan £120 billion --being right next door really does make a difference!). The UK isn't selling anything to Japan either (besides its industrial crown jewels, like ARM), nor to any of the next 10 largest economies; and even trade with its American bro's on the other side of the pond is pathetic. How is it going to substitute those four markets with countries like Jamaica and Zimbabwe? Former colonies are not buying much from the UK either --in fact they are, like the US, queuing up to challenge its new WTO tariff schedules. The UK is a competitor to them, not a Commonwealth leader in waiting.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2019
  4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Or the UK is going to go into the next storm with a government paralysed by in-fighting and already engulfed in a storm of its own making.

On top of that it'll be a govt that learned/fixed precisely nothing from the last crash/storm.

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

It's a storm in a tea cup. The problem is that in global terms, we are the tea cup.

6. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Quite possibly only thing worth saying is things will neither be as bad or as good as people predict and often the complete opposite.

Based on available evidence I predicted at lunch I would have steak and chips for tea, because there was a steak in the fridge, its goes out of date today, and my gf doesn't really eat it given the choice.
    However I have returned home to find my steak eaten and a chicken madras ready meal with a note telling me not to microwave it. Which I will ignore, no naan breads either....

7. adidan

Dunno, the past 10 years have been pretty damn bad for many.

Microwave the rice, oven the rest - it's the only way to make the curry palatable. :thumb:

Archtronics likes this.
  8. Nexxo

Wait, your girlfriend doesn't eat steak and feeds you a ready meal? Dump her. You just don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Archtronics and liratheal like this.
  9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Who ate your steak?

10. adidan

I think I saw in the Daily Gobnockery that the EU banned steak.

The_Crapman likes this.
  11. Nexxo

Finally the right questions are being asked!

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I think you'll find that's only bendy steaks.

My theory is Walle had it for breakfast :worried:

13. Nexxo

Better not be GM steak then. You know how that guy gets... :p

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Oh that takes me back...

[​IMG]

Nexxo likes this.
  15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So apparently Mrs May has said that a failure to deliver Brexit would be "a catastrophic and unforgivable breach of trust in our democracy" and although she's basically repeating what she's been saying since she came back with her deal it's really starting to grind my gears.

Has she not realised that it would be a catastrophic and unforgivable breach of trust in our democracy if she allowed Brexit to go ahead? You only have to listen to the speech Mr Lammy gave to understand why, we elect representatives for a damn good reason.

What we're now facing is the tyranny of the majority and MPs attempting to appease far-right extremism, if that's not a catastrophic and unforgivable breach of trust in our democracy then IDK what is, MPs are meant to be making the argument, persuading, and explaining to people why their beliefs are wrong, their meant to be leaders not puppets running scared of the electorate.

16. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

FTFY

17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Paralympian on ITV saying they voted leave because we've been in the EU for 70 years and it's not really worked for our economy...... - if i heard correctly. I was concentrating on making my lunch at the time which as we can all agree, is far more interesting than anything Brexit related.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

Nexxo and The_Crapman like this.
  19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

As ever.. that's very clever as the EU has only been a thing for 27 years.

20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Yea, I don't think I misheard. I had a quick google for the interview, but couldn't see anything. I'd like to think I misheard though.

I was going to say I cut them some slack for that because they probably counted in the ECC, but then I realised that we joined the ECC in the 70s, and it was formed in the late 50s so it's not been 70 years either way.