1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

There is an explainer of the Act here:
    https://www.cliffordchance.com/micr...drawal-act-2018-what-it-does-why-and-how.html

(PDF warning)

But long story short, the interpretation is that it only counts for a No Deal Brexit, while saying that approving a WA is a separate process:

However if there is no WA agreed upon:

So the Government is in clear breach of the Withdrawal act due to never having presented a plan B.

Oh and here is the really fun one, you know how no deal promoters love to bang on about how the ROI / NI border will be the EUs problem?

However with all of the above do keep in mind that if you asked 3 lawyers you'd get 4 different answers... point being interpretation is always a thing and not every interpretation can be true.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Accoriding to Plato, Socrates had a few issues with the application of democracy as too did Plato seeing as the people of Athens had him killed.

When a Democracy causes the tyranny of the majority, say in a 51/49 or 52/48 vote, well he didn't see that as a fair and just system.

3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

There's a grassroots movement to make this the most signed petition ever on the UK GOV website. It won't actually bind the gov to anything but if we break the records it'll send a clear message that there's interest for it.

15.1 million voted leave in england, 13.2 million voted remain. And another 3 million here - it was 2.1 million yesterday at dinner time and it's 3 million this morning - have felt strongly enough to put pen to paper for it. How many of these are people who've changed their mind? Interesting.

Here's a tracker showing the increase of signatories: https://tardis.ed.ac.uk/~tkerby/revokea50.html

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

May has already taken a dump on the petition, as has Leadsom.

I'm about as convinced as when I first saw it that it'll amount to nought.

Still - I signed it anyway.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Well, Leadsom said that if the petition exceeds 17.4 million, "action would clearly have to be taken". This could turn out to be one of those prophetic statements...

6. liratheal

I'd be blown away if it got to 17.4 million without the same bot-use that affected the last highest signature petition regarding Brexit.

On top of which, I wonder how long it'd be before someone said "Some of these are people who're ineligible to vote, so we need to strike those off.." and bring it neatly under 17.4m and thus removing the need to consider it.

Although I guess that counts as 'action'..

7. Nexxo

Not sure about that. A statement on how to proceed does not have to imply a plan B. It could just be "We'll keep banging on with plan A"...

That is interesting. Sounds like the Withdrawal Act itself commits the UK to keep itself aligned with the SM and CU to protect the soft border in N.I. So why is it moaning about the backstop?

8. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

My feelings exactly. They will continue to do whatever the heck they want to do but I figure this is the closest we might get to a binding vote of in or out.

liratheal likes this.
  9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

They either don't understand the British psyche or they do and hope it will give them an excuse to call another referendum.

10. liratheal

I'm not convinced either of them understands anything.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

And right on cue Fartage et al are banging on 'oh it's all bots... no actual people want brexit stopped'...

12. liratheal

Farage is another one that doesn't understand anything as far as I can tell!

13. RedFlames

Iceland aren't known for beating about the bush -

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

My understanding:
    They thought they could get away with special status for NI (and it would be enough to satisfy the requirement to honour the GFA as per the commitment in the Withdrawal Act), but then the DUP threw their toys out of the pram effectively forcing it to be made UK wide, said UK wide having been written down in the May deal (in the backstop section) which in turn caused the UK politicians to throw their toys out of the pram.

15. adidan

Oooh that smarts coming from a country that went bankrupt and has a tendancy to boom/bust.

Puts our international position into perspective.

16. adidan

Bzzzt....does not compute.....bzzzt

17. Nexxo

Russians, actually, or so he claimed on Radio 4 this morning. The interviewer didn't challenge him, of course.

[​IMG]

(Yeah, the logic of that escaped me as well...)

18. Nexxo

Feel the BURN. :p

19. RedFlames

What the said DUP: We're angry that May is capitulating to the EU

What the DUP likely meant: We're angry that may isn't capitulating to the DUP.

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

"Oh noes whatever will we do, the evil EUSSR has refused funding for RHI2":p