1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's the Tory way:
    Who are we to question the Will of the People™? Look after yourself and yours.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2019
  2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well today I called someone a stupid ****. I didn't mean to, but they bleated on about how proud they were to vote Conservative and that after voting for Brexit yesterday was the most important vote in their life, then their very next breath they complained that even having a job on top their universal credit wasn't enough to get by each month.

It just came out.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  4. Nexxo

[​IMG]

Would you stop a cheetah from killing an antelope? Natural selection at work, mate. Don't get involved. Let nature take its course.

Last edited: 13 Dec 2019
    B1GBUD likes this.
  5. fix-the-spade

Oh I know, from tomorrow it will be fine, but today the smugness was just a little bit too overbearing.

6. Nexxo

The smugger they are, the harder they fall. Anyway, you may have been dealing with someone who is slightly on the sociopathic spectrum. Gloating about their power-by-association, while simultaneously trying to elicit your sympathy with their financial hardship. Keep your distance from such people.

Last edited: 13 Dec 2019
  7. wecrookie

wecrookie Minimodder

The trouble is he lost it to someone who won't take his seat in Westminster. As someone who lives in N.Ireland I would like to be represented in Parliament by elected MPs.
    Christ we haven't even had local government for over 2 bloody years

8. Nexxo

Interesting thread on Twitter:

Makes a lot of sense.

Also:

Last edited: 14 Dec 2019
    edzieba likes this.
  9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So condensed down, basically, nationalism. Isn't it great that we've learnt nothing from history. :(

10. Arthur

Arthur It's for 'erberts !

11. Nexxo

"The man who laughs has simply not yet been told the terrible news" --Bertolt Brecht

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Unfortunately, nationalism seems to be spreading through the developed world like a pandemic.

13. Mr_Mistoffelees

I sometimes think that the provision of the right to vote, should be conditional on the passing of an IQ test.

Might not be popular...

adidan likes this.
  14. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Expect it to continue. We have national governments vs a globalised economy. It's multinationals that define the world now, not governments with limited jurisdiction. That's why the rich are getting richer; Operating above a certain level of wealth you don't have to pay taxes, and the richer they get the more they can sponsor their preferred national policy. Voters react with the only option available to them, Nationalist protectionism, but it only plays in to the hands of the ones they call Masters of the Universe (hint, hint). Divide et impera. Unfortunately, the only solutions are total economic isolation, or a New World Order. Both are fraught with peril.

“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum — even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.” - Chomsky

Fingers66 and Nexxo like this.
  15. Mr_Mistoffelees

My comment (not to be taken seriously) was about people not being allowed to vote unless they are sufficiently intelligent to be able to think about the consequences of their actions, rather than being blinded by a catchy slogan, eg "get brexit done".

16. fix-the-spade

I think voting should not be based on party identities but their stated policies measured against what they actually did the last time they held office.

So instead of seeing Candidate name, political party you get a list of policies (20'000 more Police Officers etc) then a percentage chance of the list of policies happening. The actual party names are nowhere on the ballot at all, you have to either know the policies or vote for the one you think is best.

Or even better notes on what they did. So for the 20'000 extra police line it would say in brackets that this party actually reduced police numbers by 25'000+ whilst in power.

I know it would never happen, but I bet it would turn voting on it's head.

17. Mr_Mistoffelees

Realistically, I believe the only way to make things fairer is to stop using first past the post and switch to proportional representation, as used in the European elections, for all future elections.

18. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I love how it is assumed all the time that anyone who voted for the Conservatives is a racist and stupid, the same was said for people who voted for leaving the EU instead of remaining.

Absolutley pathetic insults getting thrown around, and even people on here basically saying/implying that anyone who voted conservative is stupid, racist and xenophobic.

There are idiot's who support all parties, but they are not the many they are the few, however labelling everyone the same just because of the choice they make is quite frankly to me pathetically childish.

In the past I have voted for Lib Dems, Labour and the Conservatives and when I didn't think any of them deserved my vote, I spoiled my slip by writing "None of you deserve my vote" on it.

Some on here have already stated they will or are looking in to leaving the country, I think that is your choice and you are free to make that choice because you don't like Johnson and to be honest if Corbyn had got in I would be looking to do the same thing, all I will say is that if you do leave the country I wish you good luck in what ever country you move to and hopefully it provides you with everything you want.

adidan likes this.
  19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I've tried to avoid political dissection until after the weekend and the dust had settled a smidge. I fully expect labour to not learn from this spanking, or to take away the wrong lessons... again.

Labour and the lib-dems shat the bed and they need to own it as much as they need to make the Tories own whatever come out of brexit.

Labour in particular need to recognise that the spanking could've [and possibly will be if they don;t get their **** together] been a whole lot worse than it was.

Unfortunately, in order to do that you actually need to win under the existing system. Plus I doubt Lab or Con would actively implement a system that dilutes their sway over things.

Last edited: 15 Dec 2019
    adidan likes this.
  20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well there goes my hopes of a united federation of planets, we can even seem to unite a single planet let alone thousands.

Arboreal likes this.