1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's your take on the past decade?

Discussion in 'General' started by play_boy_2000, 18 Dec 2019.

?

2010's

Poll closed 31 Dec 2019.
  1. Dumpster fire

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. Bad

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Same old sh|t, different decade

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Good

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. I've been on hallucinogenic drugs the whole time; it's been awesome.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I'm definitely leaning hard towards dumpster fire.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2019
    LennyRhys and wyx087 like this.
  2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Personally the entirety of the 2000s has been some shade of awful... but the 2010s, to quote Blackadder -

Well, it started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle, and the less said about the end, the better.

LennyRhys, The_Crapman and liratheal like this.
  3. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Does this answer your question? :eyebrow:

GeorgeK likes this.
  4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The past decade for me personally has been kind of arse to start with, a bit more arse in the middle, but picking up at the end.

The world, though, seems to be going to hell. Which isnt great. I need it to be passable for at least like.. 40-50 more years if my family history is anything to go by.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, like union busting, setting fire to a bunch of protected wilderness, calling a guy a pedo and siccing a PI on him *and* emailing a journo telling them that he definitely diddles kids then getting away with it in court, ruining terrestrial astronomy by launching a bunch of bright white satellites... Oh, and unveiling the ugliest truck I've ever seen then breaking two of its windows. These are just the highlights, I could go on...

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

For me, the rise of social media has erased the last bit of decency in modern society.

It's contributed to an entire generation of kids with mental health issues, destroyed relationships, skewed government elections, broke apart families and given a forum to each and every hate group preaching "free speach".

LennyRhys, Pete J, creative and 3 others like this.
  7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Well, 10 years ago today I was waking with the most insane hangover, massive gaps in memory, discovered that while at the work Christmas do my mate Hughesy went to hug me, tripped and speared me through a suspended glass display and was ejected from the venue. But amongst all the chaos, I also got together with with my now fiancee. For the last 10 years she has made me happier than I ever thought possible and put up with my insanely neurotic tendencies. While the world and my body have turned to ****, she has got me through it.

There is something about him that's a bit off. Like milk that seems ok after giving it a sniff and a little taste, but then curdles the instant it hits coffee.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  8. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

On a lighter note (because the question was vague and I'm going to consider the glass as firmly half full):
    Personally I bought my first home, got married and we had our first child.
    Professionally I've had three promotions, nearly tripled my salary, and have travelled to Copenhagen, Boston, Vegas and Sydney as part of my job.

I'd call that pretty amazing decade!

Arboreal and The_Crapman like this.
  9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Overall in the world, worse than dumpster fire. With the big B happening, it is certainly ending badly IMO. But last night's news from across the pond might be the light in this very dark tunnel.

For Musk, he's genuinely trying to do good for humanity. He's certainly got strange personality and his methods are unconventional, but I still feel we need more of him than people who are in the spotlight (or even elected) solely because of their personality.

Personally, it's been a great decade.

10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

January 2010:
    I'm mid way through year 8 at school. Doing well in science, maths, ICT, engineering and resistant materials but not much else
    September 2010:
    Start of year 9 picking my GCSEs. I picked engineering, German and business studies with the idea of getting into motor mechanics
    September 2011:
    start of year 10. I'm excelling in Engineering and maths, doing ok in business studies, physics, chemistry and biology and pretty much failing everything else
    September 2012:
    start of year 11. Same as year before
    September 2013:
    I started 6th form and realised although I like engineering it isn't instant enough for me and I'd been slowly getting better and computers and decided I wanted to pursue that. For my A-Levels I picked computer science and engineering.
    September 2015:
    after passing engineering with flying colours and my whole class failing computer science I still wanted to get into computing and was confident enough that I had the ability to do it and that the course I was on was incorrect. I started looking for apprenticeships but couldn't find one so went to college to study computing.
    September 2016:
    After a year of easily passing college with a ridiculously low attendance rate i found an apprenticeship but I didn't get it due to being too focused on python development when this place was more of a WordPress theme shop.
    Feb 2017: I left college after getting the apprenticeship here and have been happy ever since

LennyRhys, adidan and The_Crapman like this.
  11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Did you copy and paste that direct from B-T PR manual? :lol:

The_Crapman and MLyons like this.
  12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

On the world level got to be heading towards the apocalypse.

On a personal note started and finished my undergrad, got engaged, started and submitted my phd thesis (not finished that yet sadly!) and started a job I enjoy.
    Certainly can't complain and am looking forward to 2020 which should be a big year.

13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I gave up wearing underwear a decade ago, haven't looked back.

14. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

SS; DD... pretty much been that way since I lost all faith in being part of/rejoining gainful employment.

15. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

He probably 'wrote' the B-T PR manual... :p

16. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The decade of fake news.
    The decade that will probably be forogtten in the history book because of what came next, like the 1900s set up the 1910s.

Jesus wept you're young.

17. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

In the last decade, I've lived in 3 countries, 4 cities including half way around the world. I've had 5 separate roles in 4 companies, 2 ongoing, and have effectively increased my income at least 6-fold in that time. I got married. I've owned 5 cars in that time including an MX-5 (which was awesome) and one bicycle. In that time I've only had 2 laptops and 0 desktops.

In the meantime the world political stage has gone to shite, global warming has reached levels where I fear there's no going back, nor even slowing down, and I can't wait to move back.

18. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

22. Think I'm one of the youngest on the site.

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Get to bed.

MLyons likes this.
  20. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Ye, GODS... I've got grand-children (by marriage) older than that.

MLyons likes this.