The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Risky

Risky Modder

Assume that is meant to be a joke, or is there a fake news source for this?

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Me too, on further thought.
    If I were single that would be easier, but there are 3 others in the house, and a high risk 87yo Granny who needs food delivered and 'indirect' visits now the carers aren't visiting.

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Yes and No....

More community spirit is good, but we're facing a very different enemy. V1s and V2s were a tangible foe like air raids. COVID-19 is an invisible intangible enemy that thrives with people in contact...
    If people turned green or something, it'd be easier to keep going, here you don't know where it's going to come from as it's pretty much everywhere.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

For a lot of people this will mean a drop in their actual overdraft fees. Daily fees are going thanks to a change in the law and the interest rate is capped at 40%pa for most personal accounts. Previously a lot were charging 'no interest' but £1-£5 per day for overdrafts, for me that would add up to interest of 73% of my entire overdraft even if I was overdrawn by £1. Now if I was overdrawn by £1 and stayed that way it would cost me 40p after a year instead of £365 minimum.

It's the right idea, even if the execution has been flawed. I expect further regulation to arrive that will put more controls on interest rates.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

6. Risky

Risky Modder

Oh right so pretty irrelevant in the current situation. The high effective percentages were for small amounts.

I need to hit then for perhaps nearly 6-figures to allow this business to get back on it's feet after the situation recovers.

7. Risky

Risky Modder

I'm feeling half like I have the flu but my temp isn't high so I conclude it is partly stress and partly the amount of red wine I am applied last night to manage that stress.

MLyons likes this.
  8. Risky

Risky Modder

Just doing the payroll now. They get paid. Not paying much else until some money appears from somewhere.

9. fix-the-spade

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Dyson is about to make them apparently.

11. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

posts I thought were not serious, off topic or looked at me funny have been moved. Stop annoying each other, I just want to get through today so I can go home and enjoy some vodka and coke.

Back on topic. I see the FA has suspended all lower league football and have made the seasons null and void. Decision on the premiere league and championship is meant to come out soon.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2020
    LennyRhys and enbydee like this.
  12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Just had my UK lodge holiday cancelled due to the current epidemic. And quite rightly so. However, they are refusing to refund our money! They are offering to re-book the holiday at highly inflated prices. The same holiday for the same time next year is an extra £360 :miffed:

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Time to name and shame, methinks. Perhaps to your local neighbourhood newspaper.

We have a summer holiday booked and have put down a deposit of about a third of the cost. The balance is due in the next three or so weeks and we're massively unsure what to do. The place we're staying is currently closed but are adamant that they'll be open for business in the summer, so aren't currently offering any refunds. We could eat the loss of the deposit (although it'd sting) but the whole cost is a different matter. I guess it's theoretically possible that things will have returned to normal enough by July for the venue to be back to business as normal, but it feels unlikely and thus a hell of gamble. First world problems, right enough, but still a real dilemma.

boiled_elephant and Mr Happy like this.
  14. RedFlames

The one time Liverpool look set to win it... and the season potentially gets shitcanned and voided. They'll never shut up about it.

15. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As a Manchester United supporter and therefore neutral what a shame...

16. fix-the-spade

Very civic minded of them to give you the chance to spend more money with them. I'd say that's a take it up with your credit card company situation, then give them a call after you've done it to let them know.

I mean, do Scousers ever shut up anyway? Pretty sure the only quiet Liverpudlian I ever met was laid out on a slab.
    I think if the FA made a special exception to give Liverpool the title this is the one year none of the other top clubs would complain.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2020
    boiled_elephant, Mr Happy and David like this.
  17. RedFlames

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

One of the guys at work is a die hard LUFC Liverpool fan, you know, the really obnoxious type who belittles the achievements of rival teams and exaggerates the achievements of Liverpool. I'm looking forward to winding him up about it. :grin:

Last edited: 26 Mar 2020
  19. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Sykes Holiday Cottages. Trying my best to name and shame :thumb:

20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

LUFC? Why would a Leeds United fan be bigging up Liverpool? ;)

David and MLyons like this.