1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

My wife and I are watching this now. I lived in Chicago in 1991 when they won their first championship. My family spent the night in the center-most room in the house with mattresses all around. The next morning there were bullet holes in many of the buildings. The celebration was crazy. I'm really enjoying the documentary but am a little bummed that you know the conclusion from the start. The story is told brilliantly, though.

Last edited: 28 May 2020
    Yaka likes this.
  2. Xir

Xir Modder

Cold Blood Legacy - 4/10
    The only saving grace is Jean Reno playing…..Jean Reno.
    The rest is drivel, the story, the characters, the plottwist, absolute drivel.
    Worst part is, it's boring.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

Hard Powder (2019) (Cold Pursuit) / In Order of Disappearance (2014) (Kraftidioten) - 8/10
    So the 2019 one is a remake of the Norwegian original with Liam Neeson.

I hadn't realized it was shot by the same director.
    With the same script.
    Using the same shots.

In short, I've never seen a remake that is so close to the original it makes you wonder why it was remade in the first place. :grin:
    Well because of money of course. The original didn't make a profit, the remake did.
    The remake and the original look exactly the same to me, but the remake had >10x the budget (whatever for, I can't tell the difference) :rollingeyes:

That said, it's a fun film. (both versions)

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've been on a bit of a Brit movie binge for the last few days.

Mostly what I had seen before, but last night I watched two I hadn't seen before.

First up, The Last Seven. I wasn't sure whether to bother going into this, as it has horrible reviews. However, I really enjoyed it. It's a complete mystery movie, with an enormous twist at the end. Unlike others I did find the characters very interesting, and Daisy Head was spellbinding. Her eyes are just amazing I could totally get lost in them. I'd never seen her in anything before, but there was just something. I did not realise she is Emily Head's sister (Emmerdale, The Inbetweeners). So yeah, I expected utter crap but I was actually very pleasantly surprised.

Then I watched City Rats. As the reviews go this is the much better movie apparently. Either way yes, I really enjoyed this one too. It's like a London approach on Crash? is it? where the lives are all tied but hardly any of them actually know each other. It was actually really pleasant to see Tamer Hassan play the role of a more normal less brutish guy. And he played it magnificently.

Both were "free to me" titles on Amazon Prime.

5. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I've just sat though Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker it's a bit predictable isn't it.

6. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

As a long time star wars fan, all I will say is I have no desire to watch it again.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

Have it here on Bluray, The wife and I both fell asleep during it, retry tonight or tomorrow :grin:

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'd recommend watching the latest trilogy relatively close together, enjoyed them more on my recent rewatch that way than I did in the cinema :)

9. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Sitting through Netflix/ Amazon/ Disney+ and Apple TV... Late to the party (again) for "Community" (Netflix UK) which reminded me of Fletch (bought) then Beverly Hills Cop (bundle deal on Apple TV) thanks to Harold Faltermeyer and the 80s. Any fans of Community will appreciate the next binge-watch on Netflix "Glow" so that the wife and I can both say "Annie's Boobs" whenever Alison Brie is out and about. "Servant" on Apple TV, we are nearly finished with (which we started after "See" which was really great) and that took us down the M Night Shymalanalanadingdong route to Unbreakable, Split and the Glass.

Lot's more available and we were quite taken with Tales from the Loop on Amazon which I recommend wholeheartedly for some weird retro vibe future... And finally, The Last Jedi should have been the last film... Rise was sat through in the cinema and I fell asleep at home. There were NO consequences to any of the decisions made and the ret-conning of the main storyline to make The Last Jedi irrelevant? Pony-time. At least Knives Out was good, which I re-watched again recently!

Mandalorian was glorious!

Arboreal likes this.
  10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Try "Disney Gallery" - It's a "making of" Mandalorian with the producers, directors & actors sitting around talking about the show.
    Lots of good insights into the what, how and why of the show.

Arboreal and IamJudd like this.
  11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Deep Rising (1998)

Over 20 years on and I still love this thing. Famke looks amazing, and the cheese? Sooooo much cheese! :D

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Parasite

Pretty good, not sure why some people made out it was the best film ever in the history of films but definitely worth a watch.

13. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Alex Rider 8/10 was expecting this one to a naff show seeing as itv dropped it. supreisingly well paced and the kids really liked it. much less finicky than the movie

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Been on a bit of an Anime binge of late, which is keeping me sane while the world is still on hold...

Battle Royal High School 8/10 - great oldschool anime with silly levels of gore and gratuitous nudity, just 1 hour long (and it's on YT)

Parasyte (Netflix) 9/10 - love this, reminded me a lot of Tokyo Ghoul

Record of Lodoss War 10/10 - amazing anime series from the 90s, sword & sorcery shenanigans

15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Alita: Battle Angel
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437086/

Very odd graphically, but pretty enjoyable young persons sci-fi.

Le chant du loup
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437086/

French anti nuclear deterrent flick in submarines, a decent 'war' film.

Bad boys for life
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1502397/

Ok so it has my bike in it [​IMG] and it's the usual silly ott mindless violence we've come to expect, but Ragnor must be rolling in his grave.
    These users thanked the author MrLongbeard for the post:

16. Xir

Xir Modder

17. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Artimis Fowl 6/10 not sure how disney manages to fudge some stuff up its not as bad as they say but it feels very rushed iv never read the books but i get the feeling its been badly edited some scenes things just jump ahead with out any explanation.

The Willoughbys 7/10 enjoyable film best way to describe is its a mixture of snicketts series of of unfortunate events mixed with despicable me

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'd probably agree on both.
    I haven't read the books, but my OH has (and it was her noticing it on D+ that made us watch it), just felt slow in places rushed in others to feel rather disjointed and like not a lot really happened, saw a tagline saying all it was good for was setting up sequels hah.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Nightcrawler 8/10

Sociopathic grifter starts out with a police scanner and a handicam to try and make it as a freelance video news ambulance chaser, and goes to ever increasing lengths to get the shots that he wants. Genuinely gripping and jaw-droppingly creepy in places.

I thought Gyllenhaal was perfect in this role - he absolutely nailed it.

LennyRhys likes this.
  20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I just finished The Last Days Of American Crime, **** me that was awful. Its insulting that people got paid money to make that!