1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Fan Testing and Comparisons

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LennyRhys, 22 Apr 2020.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You could 3D print it...

LennyRhys likes this.
  2. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Please get a 3d printer... or use one of those services online to print it for you. Well worth a test.

LennyRhys likes this.
  3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

There's a guy on Youtube (Major Hardware) who prints his own fan designs. It's quite interesting actually, seeing the difference in performance - he cloned a Noctua A12x25 and got pretty much the same results in a thermal test, although the printed fan was a lot louder and a little slower. It shows that most of the refinements of fans at this level have little to do with performance and are more about the acoustic properties of the fan blades.

In the meantime I am planning to fab more impellers for the Barn Door Fan project. The idea for me is to make an impeller that is as unrefined as possible and see whether or not it can compete with the most expensive fans. Next up will be a simple 9-blade design which I'll pit against the Gentle Typhoon and A12x25.

4. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

As usual - some nice work here @LennyRhys

The CAD work is really cool - as for your comment about tight tolernaces - the smaller the gap, the better the fan :)

Hows your airflow physics self-learing going? Your right - it is heavy stuff! I've never really delved into propellor/impellor design, but am fairly well versed in the different types and applications. As for pitot tubes and their measurements, it used to be part of my day job :D

I may have some books on fan design at work - would be happy to scan you a few pages if you wanted anything specific.

Looking forward to some more test results :thumb:

LennyRhys likes this.
  5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The vanes on the frame of the Air Penetrator were pretty effective at directing airflow. I printed a stand for the 180mm model and used it as a desk fan.

They look amazing. Gimme a shout when you start a production run! :lol:

LennyRhys likes this.
  6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Hey guys - I'm still alive, just busy and tired with a lot going on!

I've tested the Air Penetrator and will make it part of another round of testing with cheaper fans to see how they compare to the more expensive fans. The cheapest fan I got was a Cooler Master Sickleflow which I got on Amazon for around £3.50. I'll also be testing a couple of other "generic" 120mm fans to make

To make things interesting, I've purchased a 120mm Delta centrifugal fan (blower) so I can test how much of an effect it has on cooling performance. Blowers generate a lot more pressure than axial fans, but they are comparatively very weak when it comes to airflow. The 120mm blower develops similar static pressure to my most powerful 120mm fans, but only 1/6 of the airflow.

javaman and Bloody_Pete like this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I have a few I can send at some point. Pretty sure I have a couple of nidec too.

I'll have to have a dig.

LennyRhys likes this.
  8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Thanks VT. I've just finished testing the Sickleflow and it's actually a pretty decent fan, even more so because I paid only £3.50 for it - by far the cheapest 120mm fan I own.

All things considered, I already knew that most fans are going to be much of a muchness from around 1,000rpm, and any differences will be minor at best. With load temps not varying more than 2 degrees, it becomes a matter of which fans are the quietest or have the most "pleasing" sound, and it seems the (ultra expensive) A12x25 takes the crown here.

The only other "regular" fan I think it's worth testing is the Noiseblocker eLoop B12, because of its unique design - I'm interested in its performance and sound profile.

javaman likes this.
  9. Vault-Tec

I have three left over. I will send one of those too.

Will be about two weeks. I will take some from here, then when I get home dig out the Nidecs.

Big Elf and LennyRhys like this.
  10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

From my experience at least, Noiseblockers are super quiet, that quietest fans I've ever used. They were also great performing on low rpm. Kept a 9900k and 2080super in check on a 40mm 240 and 60mm 120, couldn't get coolant temp above 38 and fans were at about 1000-1100 rpm.

LennyRhys likes this.
  11. Vault-Tec

That is why I am sending him one. Anyone who has used them has sworn by them, but I have never seen any proper data. However, they also have the draw of looking absolutely beautiful. But yeah, I wanna see what they can actually do. There's a reason why I have used them three times.

Big Elf and The_Crapman like this.
  12. el2k

el2k Modder

Sorry to hijack, but since Lenny is the fan king, I thought it would be best to ask in here briefly, can King Lenny or anyone else recommend an ALL white fan with good static pressure for use on a 360 radiator for an upcoming build?

Thanks

LennyRhys likes this.
  13. David

Might be easier to find the best fans and paint them or use something like vinyl dye.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Problem I found with painting was that it made dust stick to the leading edge of the blades far far more easily :(

15. el2k

el2k Modder

I believe the answer might have been a mere few posts above.. the Noiseblocker NB Eloops seem to be highly spoken of for using on radiators.

16. David

That's why I thought vinyl dye could be an option.

LennyRhys and Bloody_Pete like this.
  17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

@el2k White fans are a rarity these days since most people seem to want all-black or RGB. I notice that Arctic do an all-white version of the P12 (which I tested); you may have to pay a little more for the white version though. There's also an all-white Bitfenix Spectre in 120mm flavour. If you'll be running at low speeds of around 1200rpm or less, don't get hung up on static pressure - any fan will do a decent job on a 360 rad.

Incidentally, the fan in my profile pic is a TY-143 (bright orange) that I painted white with spray acrylic. The paint didn't adhere well, so David's suggestion of vinyl dye might be worth looking into.

I used to have a Silverstone FM-122, which was a very nice all-white fan, but sadly EOL. There was also it's little bro, the FM-121. Both fans were good quality ball bearing fans made by Everflow.

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Do you have you fan data in a google doc? Would be useful for referencing :)

19. el2k

el2k Modder

Thank you will look into these options :thumb:

LennyRhys likes this.
  20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Nothing particularly organised, but I can put a table together as I have a lot of data on various fans (static pressure & SPL mainly). As with my many other fan-related endeavours, "I'll get round to it at some point" fits the bill! :D

cobalt6700 and Bloody_Pete like this.