1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Height adjustable desks anyone?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 27 Oct 2020.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'm in the market for a height adjustable desk - sitting & standing, electronic/motorized, with a memory function.

Amongst the ones I've found online, there is a veritable smorgasbord of online shops that all appear to be selling the same desk - though not all at the same price. For example the one currently winning the SEO wars - https://heightadjustabledesksonline.com/product/hd1-height-adjustable-desk/

Any users of height adjustable desks here, perhaps even one of these, and able to offer any insight or advice?

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've got an IKEA sit/stand desk, but it's the manual type. Please don't ask me when the last time I had it in the stand position...

LennyRhys and yuusou like this.
  3. Mister_Tad

Did you think "hey what a great thing that I'll use a lot" to start?

And do you not because standing, or because it's a hand-cranker?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've never been averse to a bit of hand-cranking. I SAID WHAT I SAID.

To be honest, it's a combination of three things: the monitor stand I use wobbles more when the desk's in the standing position than when it's in the down position; I changed a broken Ethernet cable over for one that's too short for the desk to go into full stand mode "temporarily" a while back and never got around to finding a longer one; and I'm lazy.

5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I had a standing desk in my old office. I've been racking my brain to see if I can remember the brand. It was good - electromagically moved up and down, four presets, a nice set of buttons to move it. It was a bit of a ballache sometimes because the control electronics would occasionally freak out and I'd need to power cycle it, but otherwise it was good.

I think I used to do one afternoon a fortnight, standing, on average. I've considered another, but if I did, my monitor would jam into the shelf above, so I've given up on the idea for now.

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

There's a brand here in Germany that seems to make all standing motorised desks everywhere because it's the only one I've seen for electronic ones.

I'll try and remember to take a note of it.

Although personally Ive always put them back into seating position.

7. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

8. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Never went for one in the end, ended up spending it on a much more awful example of a desk... :miffed:

The one in the OP looks more substantial than the ones I was looking at, from my research at the time It was basically the same 4 things anywhere I looked.
    • Don't cheap out unless you want to be shaking all over the gaff when standing
    • Get memory functions
    • Get a anti-fatigue matt
    • Make sure its going to be strong enough to lift your kit.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  9. Mister_Tad

Muchas gracias for all the pointers - sounds like there's a 5th consideration there... I may be buying for the return policy.

There will probably be a fair bit of weight on the desk, that's not actually something I had considered and now I can't imagine why. No desktop PC, but between the rest of it including speakers it probably adds up... I'll also have a cam, mic, lights on arms which not only add weight, but emphasise wobble.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeah, like @DeadP1xels I spent a lot of time (I still do) and that brand you linked to seems like the best value from what I can see! My problem currently is that it'd be in my bedroon and there's not enough space to move me chair out of the way! I really want one as I often find my legs getting achey but being 6"2 standing and leaning over is impossible! The one thing about those ones is the direction of the telescopic action, its down facing so reduced dust and debris build up! Wobble is something thats impossible to know without buying it unfortunately. They do a 4 legged version (for £1k, ooof) which in theory would be more stable! In terms of weight, those are rated to 120kg if memory serves, although I could never find out if this is static or dynamic!

11. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

this is a good shout. I used to work in a shop and stand on a concrete floor for 8 hrs and my legs ache. After 3 yr away I’m back doing the same but my work stand now has a mat similar to the one linked below and it makes a huge difference. I know the one linked isn’t right for your application, it’s just the first one I found.

https://www.bigdug.co.uk/mats-floor...MI_YahkeHe7AIVBrDtCh0nuwRbEAQYDSABEgIFV_D_BwE

12. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

So I picked up a Jarvis by fully recently, and well to test its weight lift capabilities I went up and down on it.

A very solid desk, cost me around £800 though, so not cheap, and I probably average 2-3 hours standing a day with it.

13. Mister_Tad

I've just placed the order for mine

The Jarvis was up amongst the rankings, but picked the Hado HD2 because of the choices of finish, and a few reddit reviews that sung praises.

Hado HD2, 1600x800
    Carbon Marine
    Raw Steel frame and cable tray
    4-preset memory
    £850 all in, the most expensive desk I'll ever buy, but then it's a tool, not a toy.

14. DeadP1xels

Oh wow, had to do a quick google but that is a nice looking desk. Mucho jealous. Part of the difficulty for me was finding a finish I liked and wouldn’t seem out of place in the living room. White/Black/Grey frames all seemed too clinical for my liking. Paired with a White/Black or generic walnut particle board top just didn’t feel like it stand the test of time

15. Mister_Tad

I couldn't be happier with it.

Back to work yesterday and finding I'm standing more than sitting - I think it works much better for... not sure how to describe - casual tasks? i.e. just getting caught up on bits and bobs from two weeks out of the office, with almost everyone else off due to thanksgiving anyway. In and out of the office doing work stuff and house stuff. I'm sure for focussed project stuff I'll prefer to sit, but we'll see.

It's built to withstand a nuclear blast, comically robust. I really like the raw steel finish, well worth the extra.

Excuse the cabling and general mess, projects for another day. The cable tray is massive so that will sort it out nicely.

[​IMG]

wyx087 likes this.
  16. GeordieStew

GeordieStew Minimodder

I went for the Jarvis legs from fully.eu and put my own top on (I wanted 2000 x 900ish - inch birch ply). Solid as owt. Highly recommended.

17. DeadP1xels

Interesting, this is the single reason I had really considered a standing desk. I prop quite a lot around the house because I move around a lot, catching up on emails and what not, doing general tasks but im usually doing other stuff at the same time so I bounce between work and general house keeping.

With my current setup I'm up and down constantly... it’s been a good long while since I sat down because it’s very hard to relax knowing you can’t actually fully relax...

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

19. DeadP1xels

Apologies for the bump, this is something I’m still considering some way down the line. One of the issues I find is while you have an abundance of cheap/mid range frames to choose from cheap ready made tops aren’t so easy unless you’re willing to chop up a kitchen counter etc (which still isn’t that cheap!). Few sites below I’ve found that offer cheap desk tops in a variety of sizes and finishes alongside full desks and frames. The second site offers a similar raw steel frame option as above but it comes at £499.99 (still want it!)

https://www.workspace-ergonomics.co.uk/collections/worktops

https://www.tablesandtops.com/collections/office-table-tops

Just thought it was worth sharing!

VictorianBloke likes this.
  20. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Couldn't you just grab one from Ikea, certainly fits the cheap part!