1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

My day, with pictures and video !

Wake up. Walk around PC (the right side panel has been off for a bit) notice res looks low. Go get coffee, sit down, "What's that inky smell?". Check tissue under rig, dry. Hmm. Place hard board on floor, cover with old towels aaaaaand.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the tissue under the original source of coolant was bone dry. However, that's nay dripping that's a f*****g river. Not good. So I took a piece of hard board I use for cutting on and put some towels on it and put the rig on the floor to do some forensic testing. Got out some cotton buds and probed around what I was 100% certain was the cause of the leak, the crap straight rotary fittings. See, if you lean them even a tiny bit they drip. However, that test came back with a "check wipe negative" and so I really was confused. Only one thing for it, take the bugger to bits.

[​IMG]

It turns out I did not need the rotary fittings at all, just longer tubes. However, I was still very confused as to where the leak was coming from as the top side of the rad and fittings were bone dry. So, as you can see in the pic I blocked off one side of the rad, inserted a hose on fitting into the other, and blew. Hard.

Yup. It's actually a dead rad. I couldn't believe it. I was so in denial I made up another hose on a different fitting, used another two different stop plugs and tried again. The rad has a hole in it. One that I would imagine has gotten progressively worse. So there was only one thing to do. Buy a new rad. Go to OCUK, £45 for a 120 skinny rad. OK screw them apples. Go to Amazon, £18 Prime for a alu rad. TBH at this point I didn't care, I just wanted the rig working so I ordered it. As I checked out I noticed "Due for delivery Tues 23rd Feb". So they lied, so I cancelled it. By now I was absolutely fuming, so I took 30 mins to cool down. Fix turned out to be very simple. Chungus saves the day with life support for the pump.

[​IMG]

And "all" I had to do was simply remove the offending rad.

[​IMG]

What a total leaky boner of a day :(

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Today. The gift that keeps on giving. Run Cinebench, et voila.

[​IMG]

So there is the answer to that riddle. Is one 360 rad enough to cool a 1920x @4.1ghz with a GPU as well. No, no it's not. The rig hard locks at 83c. Cue panic mode, reducing the clocks to 4ghz with 1.4v even and it *barely* survives at 79c.

So, I am going to have to get another rad and have it apart again. Oh joy.

3. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Receiving an email stating I have a delivery today by Hermes.
    I wonder what I'm not going to get....

Vault-Tec, IanW and Arboreal like this.
  4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

4th time samsungs repair service have let me down at the 11th hour regarding my repair. logged formal complaint with samsung direct, been told to expect a phone call from the complaints team tomorrow.

5. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

As long as you didn't hear laughter when they said this, you should be OK/

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Someone made a $500 donation to my GoFundMe. Why is that ruining? Cause the person wanted to donate and get me to pass on part of that money to his cashapp in order to do something illegal with money. GoFundMe has been alerted. But that's 1/4 of the money I need, which really sucks that it's most likely going away.

Update, they asked for the money back. I will most likely have to deal with the police soon about misuse of my information. I've already had to fight with my bank info. So now in addition to having housing issues I have that as well.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2021
  7. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Uncle whom I mentioned about earlier passed peacefully today at 11am

Shine you eternal hippie, shine

8. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Got a letter from the NHS Covid team this morning. I was expecting to say "go book your vaccination slot now" as I am diabetic and therefore classed as clinically vulnerable and fall into the group that is 16-64 with underlying conditions.

Alas that was not to be. I have now been moved into the extremely clinically vulnerable group (with no recent changes in diagnosis) which means that I need to do the shielding thing until the end of March (at least). This sucks the big one as I have been the one who has been going out from time to time to the shops as my wife has fibromyalgia and cannot walk very far at all, let alone with shopping. We get our main shopping stuff delivered, but there are always bits that are needed in the mean time.

On the plus side it has now meant that I am in a group that should have had the vaccine up to a month ago so I am now booked in for my first shot on Wednesday.

That was a ball-ache in itself as the venues that i was trying to book in were all telling me "nope, this venue is for over 65s only" presumably due to a website coding oversight. Still, got both jab appointments sorted now, let's just hope that I don't get all grotty from mine like my wife did just after hers (nowt serious, just general vaccine ick).

9. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Embraced my dad bod a little too much over the pandemic, my once “slightly tight” suit is now a health and safety hazard. The minute I sit down I’d surely shoot someone with my trouser button. They’d not stand a chance...

My white shirt weirdly fits, as long as I don’t look down. The compression caused by my double chin would no doubt crush my throat like a straw.

£181 buys me a full outfit from next (belt and all) so reasonable considering. I’ll look dapper atlwast, my usual work attire is anything my hands approach first so jeans, t shirt and 99% of the time a hat of some variety with my scruffy vans.

So now I’m emotionally and financially invested in this job. I need to look the part, Id quite happily have the interview tomorrow but I certainly need the time to prepare. Just feel unbearably apprehensive, my initial plan was not to tell any work colleague of my application, that way if someone else pitched me to the post nobody would be none the wiser and I’d play the village idiot.

Interview will be held a stones throw away from our offices, meaning I’ll have to walk past everyone on my travels... not my usual laid back self but suited and booted. Roll on March!!!

10. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I have Corona Virus :(

11. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

In an earlier post I said I was being furloughed. This has continued for additional 4 weeks. I found out that we are awaiting confirmation that the new owners of the company we provided service to is going to continue our contract.

If this does not take place then the company I work for is going to try and find positions for the staff effected. If this is not possible then I am likely to be made redundant.

In the mean time I have been looking for work elsewhere, everything being short term contracts which isn't ideal. Going to wait a few more weeks and if it comes down to it will apply for one of the short term contracts just to keep things roling.

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Crap dude, hope it doesn't knock you too hard.

Our friend is just recovering, felt crappy for a while after her daughter brought it back from school.

Rest up and let us know how you get on. :thumb:

Behemoth likes this.
  13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Give it what for!

Behemoth likes this.
  14. Behemoth

Its my intention to rest as much as I can. It means Mrs. Behemoth and the kids need to self isolate too, we have to home school all three of them. Eldest is really not happy, she's autistic and has pretty much banished me to the garage. Every time she see's me she shouts COVID!

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ah bugger a change in routine definitely isn't going to help your eldest.

I'm just glad it's warmed up a bit for you if you have to hang out in the garage so much. I hope you have a kettle and wifi in there.

Behemoth likes this.
  16. Behemoth

I'm having to tether from my phone. Our Wifi is a bit broken, Gigaclear have dug up the street to install fibre to the door here in Yatton which will be awesome. However they have cut through the cable that connects us to the junction box at the end of the street so my broadband is up and down like a whores draws. BT Open Reach need to fix it, but it could be later this week, or later next month!

As far as Miss. Rona goes the cough seems to have eased a bit but I can't regulate my temperature for love nor money.

17. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Getting awfully flustered...

Monday is my day for complete peace from everyone where I can get a lot of stuff done, I'm into my 6th distraction free hour of interview preparation and its just not going well at all... I have a rough idea on the questions going to be asked and the kinds of things they will want to derive from my answers. Regardless of competition I want to at least come out the other side of the interview feeling I'd given it my all and at the moment I feel utterly unprepared. Doesn't help I'm working from home today so can't get advice from my manager because despite saying they'd be on all day to help me prepare they've barely been on 30 minutes....

In 10 minutes I'll leave to pickup my son from nursery, hopefully some time away will get my brain into gear...

18. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Yeah, Gigaclear are quite bad for that. They use a 'brute force and ignorance' method to lay their gear. Openreach are not too terrible at getting on to repair stuff, any new build stuff takes a while.

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Yeah. Openreach and their contractors have been scuttling around my home town for a couple of months now, repairing and extending all the ducting and poles etc. Fibre to be "blown in" soon, I hope!

20. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Whenever I'm struggling like that I tend to try to little and often approach rather than just blasting away.

As for what's ruining my life at the moment is a call from my partner of over 5 years Saturday morning, who's currently abroad saying she doesn't know if she wants to come back and doesn't love me in the same way anymore... (two weeks earlier whilst she was still out there she was asking me to organise some wedding stuff...)

Managed to agree that we need to discuss this in person but still, was a very unpleasant weekend. Just had a family member die suddenly so I'm kind of hoping it's grief doing weird things. :(

Last edited: 22 Feb 2021