1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Disclaimer: I haven't had a look at the design files, so I'm not sure what sort of work is actually required. However... if this is a laser cutter job, then a friendly local hackspace might be a good shout.

2. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Yesterday, the clumsy me dropped a bottle of water on my Corsair K70. 10 minutes later it started to behave abnormally while I was doing LOL Arams with friends. It was typing frenetically by itself and flashing as if possessed.
    So I took it apart, put it in a large plastic container and poured about 1-2 pounds of rice over it. Less than 24 hours later, it was dry and behaving normally. * Thumbs up

David likes this.
  3. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Good call. I think there is one in Swindon.

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I built a new keyboard

[​IMG]

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Holy sh!t, Gordon's alive!

6. Margo Baggins

Arguably one of the nicest sets of PBT Dyesub Alphas you can get - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Typewriter/184700295438?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 going for a song. I would buy... but I have 3 sets already and not enough mods for them all.

and some royal alphas - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...392286?hash=item3db74eaf5e:g:qgoAAOSwLlVgDzZl

and another set of royal alphas - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Al...968107?hash=item56f41164eb:g:vJ4AAOSwDYJgK02F (this has the green "code" keycap which is a fairly saught after keycap)

7. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

That is a lovely colour for a case!

I've spent much more on mech keyboard bits recently that PC hardware (admittedly that's mainly because PC hardware is non-existent!). My last build was the Tokyo60 from Drop, with lubed and filmed Glorious Pandas and some PBT Red and White caps...

Margo Baggins likes this.
  8. Margo Baggins

My whole life is spending more on mech keyboards.....than anything else! :D :D

What do you think of your Tokyo60? it's on my list, but I'm not sure if I will like the plastic bottom or not. I think if I bought it I would just sleeve it and put it in storage which seems silly. But I like the top of the case (but have 1x mx hhkb and 2x topre hhkb....)

Also what do you think to those PBT caps? I keep seeing those for 40ish quid a set and I keep nearly picking up the muted ones or the 9009 ones, but the CTRL really upsets me! If it said "control" I think i'd have bought by now.

My KBD8x has Boba U4T switches (which are amazing) and Cherry PBT caps.

9. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I like it, I fancied trying something a bit different, and it's certainly that. It forces me to think because of the function placement and layer, and with the 'control' being in place of the 'caps lock', but it works and if I used it more often I'd probably pick it up really quickly. My daily driver is either my Tofu60 with a mix of 65 and 78g Zilents, or Drop Alt with Silent Alpacas.

My Tokyo case is all aluminium, the only plastic is the optional diffuser strip between the two halves of the case. I've got to say, it is pretty thocc-y with these switches in! The caps are the $45 Artifact Bloom set from Drop. for the price they are really good. Smooth but not slippy, legends are clearly and consistently printed, and no dodgy mouldings that I spotted. One benefit of the HHKB layout is that the 'control' button actually says control, not CTRL! :grin:

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

First thing I do on a fresh install, if I'm not using my Model F which has Control in the correct place as God intended, is this:

upload_2021-3-15_14-33-20.png

BeauchN and Margo Baggins like this.
  11. Margo Baggins

I have a few old old coolermaster boards which I have hard modded by cutting the traces and running jump wires to move the CTRL to the CAPS position. It really is the best way to type.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  12. Margo Baggins

Also have you seen the new model F's are finally getting to people? model f keyboards - I've ordered and thrown a lot of money at them for a kishy. Who knows when it will arrive.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, I hadn't seen 'em - but sure enough, there they are! Tempting, but I'd want to hear how much like a real Model F they feel first. Let me know your thoughts when yours tips up, will you?

14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Which is the preferred material for keycaps, doubleshot ABS or PBT?

My Filco needs to have purple keycaps with yellow legends...

15. Gareth Halfacree

Personally, I prefer PBT. Feels better under the fingers, is heavier, more solid. That said, a lot of "PBT" keycaps are actually just ABS, so be careful if paying a premium.

16. Margo Baggins

Literally the truth - about 10 years ago you would be hard pushed to find any doubleshot PBT caps - now on chinese sites, millions of PBT doubleshot keycaps.... surprisingly like Gareth says a lot of these are actually ABS.

I like Cherry ABS doubleshot caps, or Cherry PBT dyesubs. As a result I also like GMK doubleshot ABS caps. I don't really use anything else.

You're very unlikely to find any cherry pbt dyesubs set for less than £200, and I think 100% unlikely to find one that will fit a filco! As they're all 1.5x mods, I don't think they made any 1.25x sets which are pbt dyesubs, and I don't think any windows keys exist at all as pbt dyesubs.

I have a set of Purple + Black caps that would probably fit on your filco, but I imagine they're worth loads as they're an ancient SP set by todays standards.

The other problem with quite a lot of the modern chinese pbt sets is they ship with no texture - they are smooth PBT, this is weird to me. Some people like it, but not me.

17. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

What I found, that I like the look of, is a set of ABS doubleshot caps, in purple with yellow legends, on an American site. They have no stock but, I think I might email them, to see if they expect more stock and, if they deliver to the UK.

18. Margo Baggins

looks at these - readily available and nice caps, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BKSK..._dp_DQARMA5FXEPJRPXBBJXG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 - they have a purple and yellow set

MadGinga and David like this.
  19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

20. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?