1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

At least the tw@t has gone, mate. You can, hopefully, get a decent tennant in there now. There are some out there, honest.

Vault-Tec and adidan like this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Aye, the positives are he's gone and I won't have to waste more time with solicitors and courts.

It may have crap in there and be a mess but no structural damage is also a win.

At the moment I'm thinking I'll just sell up now.

It could have been a far worse situation though, silver linings and all that. Plus, end of the world it is not.

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Yeah, not good. But this is why I've never much seen the point in CCTV, I've seen loads of footage of masked youths breaking into cars etc. and the footage is almost always worthless as they're wise to it?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

CCTV on its own is not always of much use, 'cos - like you say - all but the most stupid will be wearing gloves and masks. It's even less likely to be of use at night, as while mine caught a good shot of what the guy was wearing it was in night-vision mode - so everything was shades of grey. Could have been a black jacket, blue, grey, purple, red, yellow, no idea.

However, stuff like the Blink cameras that pings you when it detects motion? Great. You get an early alert someone's up to no good outside the property, before internal stuff like PIR sensors or door sensors would trigger, and you can look to make sure it's not just a cat wandering across the garden. Better yet, you can even shout at 'em over the things, without risking losing teeth - and I'd imagine (though, thankfully, have no empirical evidence to prove) that a ne'er-do-well who hears "hoi, you, stoppit, I've rung the police" over the camera would probably scarper sharpish-like whether they're wearing a mask or not.

IanW likes this.
  5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Yeah perhaps?

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

For free, it seems.

#toosoon?

/edit: I just saw that I was late to the party. Meh, I'll leave this here, I still find myself funny.

Pete J, Arboreal and adidan like this.
  7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

<obligatory "not really ruining my life but irritating" disclaimer>

I am damp.

[​IMG]

It don't look like much, but at 50+mph it adds up quickly. I suppose I really should wear the waterproof outer layers more often, but they're just such a ballache to put on over everything else.

Mr Happy and Weekly_Estimate like this.
  8. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Check! Did my first day of direct access training in which the rain didn't give up for any time at all, boots were fine, everything else was drenched to the point where I couldn't feel my hands. My gloves inner liner isn't really attached to the inside of the glove either so getting my hands in and out 15 times was completely heart breaking.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2023
  9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Jeez, that sounds like a right headache.

Why is it good landlords get bad tenants and good tenants get bad landlords?

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

To be fair I'm quite spoiled on the Pan European, there's so much fairing that it keeps a lot of the rain off me. But I definitely need a new helmet, having rain running down the inside of the visor is getting a little tiresome now.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The best thing about CCTV is it at least shows some proof to the insurance companies who get off on refusing claims.

12. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

If the seal is a folded over jobbie run a length of paracord in it as a temp fix,

Byron C likes this.
  13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Still in the office 'cos A Hardware Company That Shall Remain Nameless has a launch tomorrow, and the hardware landed... today.

Lovely.

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Geez, there's a grim dose of reality :blah:

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You need some of these badboys! We were using them at my only work, I think the cameras were £5k a piece (seems like pennies to the £250k ones I now design and build!) but they were crystal clear in pitch black!!!

Arboreal likes this.
  16. Gareth Halfacree

Oof. Trouble with hanging a £5k camera outside (never mind a £250k one) is that I worry I'd get a lovely crystal-clear shot of some scally ripping it off the wall and legging it!

17. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Got it in one. No company wants to end up with computers out of warranty. Maybe they're even on a lease, a lot more companies do that than you realise...

18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Had my gallbladder removed about 2.5 hours ago, and the discomfort is intense, despite the fentanyl.

Why this thread you ask? The surgeon came in to see me after and told me it was in a terrible state, full of pus, all distended and just generally f***ed. I would not have been a well man had that stayed in.

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The ones I work on now weight 15kg, go down 2000m and are attached to 4 ton multimillion pound ROV's :p Its actually really cool tech, I work for Vaarst, its litterally cutting edge stuff!

Also, I realsie I forgot the link to the previous cameras I was working with, it was these https://www.axis.com/solutions/lightfinder

20. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Hope you have a speedy recovery @Shirty, and that life without the GB is better.
    Sending you virtual bunches of grapes from down on the coast

Shirty likes this.