1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AC Ryan Playon! DVR TV

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Apr 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

This was looking really interesting until I read the bit about it not supporting .MKV's. Also, the fact that the NAS feature isn't that great is disappointing.

3. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I'm using a IcyBox NAS4220-B for the storage and a Lynksis Kiss 1600 to access the media. Works well at the moment, due to the built in Twonky Media on the IcyBox. This set-up can't be directly compared to this AC Ryan, as it's lacking the TV functions, but it does offer more storage with space for 2 hard drives. Cost wise, this AC Ryan Playon! is good value imo, I think my setup cost over £200 + HD's.

As soon as I have the time and money, I'll upgrade to a custom build MITX system to do what the Playon! does, it's the best route imo, especially as I have a spare Core2Duo and twin TV Card. Media Centre is also a big step up, OS wise. Both that AC Ryan Playon! and my Kiss 1600 user interfaces look ugly and limited. Support for all media files would also be straght forward. I've also filled my 1TB storage in the IcyBox, so more HD space, through larger drives or more of them is a must.

Good review as always Bit.

4. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

no 1000 port . read it all when get home (no mkv support is an no for it unless i convert it)

5. Xir

Xir Modder

Why the restriction to a "100MB/s Ethernet port" and not a 1000MB/s one...is it that much more expensive?
    (Same question goes for Netbooks really...with no drive to feed them with)

I'd think when toying with DVD-sized files (especially since the file system is up to it) 100MB/s is a bit...limited

6. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

Try replacing the harddrive with current Top-end SSD's and show us the results
    Pretty please :D

7. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

So it's a terrible HD player? It's a terrible NAS?

Yeah 8/10 sounds a bit high to me

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

No HD already killed it for me. Shame about the NAS function, too.

Another good idea... another bad result. :sigh:

9. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

This product doesn't even deserve to be mentioned on Bit-tech. please delete the article and never speak of it again!

No HD support in 2009? That is fail on a big level!

I believe this is a victim of the current struggling economy. They try to push out sub-standard products that are cheap to manufacture (using outdated stuff) and looks attractive on the box. But when it's put through the scrutiny of this community it falls short immediately.

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Looks pretty damn good to me. Personally I try to avoid .MKV files if I must, I prefer .AVI. I really like how you get to add your own HDD, makes it easier to get the right size for you.

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Why do you avoid .MKV? I never had any problems with that container.

12. The boy 4rm oz

I just find .AVI to be better quality (both visually and audibly). .MKV may be a smaller file size but HDD space isn't something I am really concerned about.

13. leexgx

mkv files are 3x bigger (1.2gb tv 4.4gb 720p 8gb 1080p) then avi files norm you must of been getting converted xvid files

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

God no. .Mkv is far more flexible in terms of both video and audio codecs and h/x.264 allows more advanced compression standards

15. BigM2006

BigM2006 What's a Dremel?

I think its a bit feature lacking, given that its meant to replace a number of devices....

16. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

will bit-tech be reviewing the Western Digital HD Media Player?

17. The boy 4rm oz

I was meant to write it the other way around lol, I was tired.

Really it's just my personal preference. I have used both .AVI (including Xvid/DivX converts) and .MKV but .MKV always seems to find away to kick it's own arse. All my ventures with .MKV have ended badly lol .AVI is far less hassle for me.

18. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Like mentioned before, it was all a good read until the HD and NAS part. The interface looks outdated to. I also disagree with the high score it gets. It should have been all 5 and 7 for the looks...

19. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Shame, a good first attempt I think but not quite enough yet in my opinion, what I would really like to see is the features that this has along with:

1) An IR blaster so that it can control a seperate AV Box (if you wanted to use sky/freesat) or even a model with a DVB-S/S2 receiver built in

2) stable and complete 720p and 1080i playback for all fiuletypes/bitrates, inexcusable really that it is missing this!

3) A Bitorrent client built in (like the popcorn hour)

Then it would be perfect!

20. leexgx

ops i agree with this user my self i do have far less problems with xvids as thay have been standered for last 5 or more years ,mkv do not all ways work well but 720p stuff is nice, seems to be better now then from yr or 2 ago

Tags: Add Tags