1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Graphics Card Coolers Investigated

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 19 May 2010.

1. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

I love my T-Rad2, has been keeping my 4870 cool for months now with a single medium speed Yate. I used the chop-shop method of hacking the stock RAM/VRM plate and temps across the board (geddit?) have been sublime:

[​IMG]

2. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

You want the GV1000 for a 4870:
    [​IMG]

Or my personal modification with 2 2600 rpm 92mm Gentle Typhoons:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

3. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Now if only I could gain access to GT's in singapore... :(

4. Arj12

Arj12 What's a Dremel?

From reading your review you would recommend not to by an after market air cooler for your graphics card?
    I'm tempted to replace my very noisy cooler on my HD4650 with an arctic cooler accelero s2 but now i'm not too sure!

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Oh, I'm buying the Vortexx Neo. Sounds perfect. Anything that fits a 4890 also fits a 4870, right?

6. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Careful.

Which 4870 do you have?

If you have a reference model (big generic slot cooler with red backplate), you will need to buy something to cool the vrms. The vrms bare will exceed 120 Celsius, I had to stop kombustor before it did that to my card. :eeek:

I found someone who had cutdown a vrm heatsink from Zalman to fit in the >1cm gap the Neo provides.

The overall temps aren't better than the stock heatsink BUT that wasn't what I was aiming for when I bought the cooler. I got what I wanted, something that gave similar temps but didn't rev up to F1 speeds that need earplugs to make sleeping/moive watching possible.

7. tonschk

tonschk Minimodder

I still preffer the old and faithful Accelero S1-Rev 2 , I never understood why Arctic Cooling ( now called just Arctic ) never improved this GPU cooler to a 6 heatpipe version

8. whamio

whamio What's a Dremel?

Where does one buy the fins, blocks, and tubes if he wanted to build a custom cooler? tia

9. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

the arctic cooling l2pro in this review must have been a bad egg or you must have locked it to tight iv had 2 of them with no problems i have fitted 2 of them on a hd 4850 and 9600gso with a test fit on both with very good even ecellent performance ...

Tags: Add Tags